Reviews for The Darkness Before Dawn
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 12/31/2017
I really enjoyed this follow-up to Rolfe's last encounter with the family. The way Georg looked at Liesl when she gasped implied that he wanted to know what was up between them, and you executed that very well here. I love Liesl's guilt over Rolfe's actions (typical teenager to blame herself, even though it wasn't her fault) and the way you use it to bring her and Georg closer. His initial awkwardness around her, "still reconciling to the fact that she was now a young woman" and he missed the last years of her childhood, feels very realistic, and the story of his first crush is pretty darn funny. I also love the duality here between physical safety and emotional security, and how Georg is now trying to provide both for his family. Wonderful work.

P.S. Discovered this story via a recommendation at The Dark Is Drowsy forum.
Sara K M chapter 1 . 9/18/2017
Hi there.

This is definitely my favorite of your stories. I can never get enough of how Maria and Georg's relationship is affected by the children, and I love how you have them work together to help Liesl. (Georg may have talked to her, but Maria told him what was bothering her, and how they should handle it.)

REALLY love the end as well, where Liesl realizes if her parents can overcome their problems with love, she can, too.
gothicbutterfly95 chapter 1 . 6/23/2016
What a lovely bonding moment for Georg and Liesl.
Of course she would blame herself, and I love the way Georg comforted her and made sure she would be okay, and how he and Maria worked to get to that point. Liesl talking about her father reciting poetry when they went back inside was awesome.
Consti Grandchester chapter 1 . 5/25/2015
oh so wonderful story! I really this little father-daughter moment!
utility - singer chapter 1 . 8/13/2013
Very sweet story-thank you for writing it
Gracie'sMom chapter 1 . 8/2/2013
What a truly lovely story! Thank you for writing it and sharing it with us!
IntrovertedBookworm98 chapter 1 . 6/22/2013
This was so beautiful. I really wished that in the film it would just show a little bonding between Georg and his children after their escape.
And hurrah, good grammar isn't extinct!
MuggleCreator chapter 1 . 4/15/2013
Awww.
Liesl's heartbreak is the reason I much prefer the stage addition of SoM to the movie, for this subplot anyway.
A Light in the Night chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
liesl is my favorite character! Thanks for the nice story featuring her and Georg's relationship!
Mie779 chapter 1 . 10/27/2012
truly yet another great story from you... you nailed the whole issue with Liesl's heartbreak over Rolf very well... can't wait to see more from you... think i pretty much have read all your work by now... sorry if I haven't reviewed them all :/ you are very talented writer :)
Darth Ultor chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
Very touching story. I especially liked the parts between Liesl and the Captain. Shameless advertisement, but can you give my Rolfe story a look?
hLaurie1234 chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Oohhh! I loved this, I really did! I loved the bonding that went on with Liesl and Georg, and how he related to her feelings etc, it was just so sweet and beautifully written. Please say you have another multiple chapter story coming up! I seriously miss those, and getting all excited when an update comes in my inbox. Please write something again soon. And good job, again, on this one :) x
scrubso chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
I really like this story. I find Liesl a difficult character to write and I often feel that writers characterize her older than she is. I loved that you stayed true to her age and described her reaction and behavior in a way that is consistent with the behavior of a sixteen year old. It was a real sweat father and daughter story.
augiesannie chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
sweet story, but also believable that Liesl would be traumatized after that awful experience. I like the way M&G are leaning on each other for strength.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
Wow, so emotional (and GENIUS) as always. The interaction between Liesl and Georg was so beautiful and sweet.
I never thought I would say it about a story with so little M&G fluffiness/hotness but I think this may be my favourite SOM one-shot EVER (I'm a total Daddy's girl myself).
Loved also how Maria took care of the younger ones (and how they were all helping each other too) so Georg could focus on Liesl. I think I felt my own heart break a little for her (I hate Rolf) but Georg handled it perfectly. His story was a cool touch ( I have to say I've never wanted to giggle and swoon at the same time before). Can't really think of much else to say except LOVE it. Can't wait to see what you right next.