Reviews for New Beginnings
Laptop Chat Killer chapter 1 . 2/28
I actually have passable knowledge about this fandom because my former flatmate watched it ad naseum. Every time I came home, this drama was unfolding on the telly and I would catch pieces of it as I made dinner for us.

I would like to suggest that you contemplate changing [powers that be] to [Powers That Be.] In this case, those words are standing in for a high power like Fate or some sort of God(s). It would be respectful to capitalise the words.

You have captured the feeling of the desperate man and bewildered man well. Why would anyone love an addict? But apparently his daughter is either unaware of her father's shortcomings or tolerant of them. I apologise for not knowing which is the case.

The symbolic empting of the flask is an interesting choice. Resolve is one thing, follow through is another. Having known and loved addicts in the past, I can testify to the struggle that will follow.

The story was well written and constructed. I would suggest looking at the actual format. There are a few spacing problems that I'm sure were the sites fault and not your own, but correcting them would make the story easier to read.
The Wayfaring Strangers chapter 1 . 2/22
Hey Story! I am fandom blind, but I don't feel that way. I think I still get the heart of this story without having to know the names first. This is good for a one-shot. It means you were able to set up a fully-explained moment in time.

I have a great mental image of the second paragraph, an old cowboy breathing into his leathery hands, a puff of breathe rising in the cold air.

I really like that the first time he resisted, it was because something outside of him interrupted. I think that's a pretty realistic. People don't quit addictions by pure power of will, they quit because other people help them.

The long hug is great. I've never met the characters Tim or Amy before, but because of that moment, I feel as if I know them now.

I like the final moments of the struggle. I think it's really powerful that he stopped because of love for his family. I hope things turned out well for that old cowboy. Nice work!
Scoobycool9 and Luckycool9 chapter 1 . 2/21
I love the characterization of Tim and how you can tell that he uses alcholism as a defense to get away from his problems and to drink his way into the void because it shows what type of character he is. It is also interesting to see his interactions between his two daughters because it shows how he views family and how much he loves them. I also like how he dumps his alcohol and the bottle so that he will quit and try to get sober because it shows that he is willing to changer which many addicts can't do for themselves. I also love the language because everything is picked carefully. Great story ( I am also fandom blind, so sorry if I can't tell if anyone is OOC.)
JasmineRaven chapter 1 . 9/9/2014
Hey Bookworm! Congratulations on having your story chosen as this weeks SAtC! I actually read a few of the Heartland books a few years go (I don't remember an awful lot about them), but I've never watched the TV show before, so I apologise for being partially fandom blind.

Since I've never been to Canada, I don't know an awful lot about the Canadian weather and environment. But I did like the way you described it throughout the story with descriptions such as "The frigid air bit at him" and "the frosty morning and the cold chill." And also through the way the characters acted in the environment, such as "Tim cupped his hands, breathing into them in an attempt for warmth." This all helped set the scene for the story and also makes it easier for readers to visualise the story.

I think you did a wonderful job of illustrating the relationship and affection between a father and his daughter. The scene in the middle of the story where Tim was hugging his daughter Amy was very sweet and really captured the love they had for each other as a family and how much they cared about each other. I thought it was beautiful.

The end of the story also illustrated the importance of Tim's family to him. When thinking about giving up alcohol, he was thinking about what was best for his family.

I didn't come across any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors, so well done for that.

Overall, I think this is a lovely story and your writing is excellent. Well done!

Keep up the great writing, Bookworm! :)

Jaz
Mwac chapter 1 . 8/26/2014
So my second try a getting this review to you! I'm sorry it's going to be very long though :(

First off, I absolutely love your interpretation of Canada... so so perfect. Absolutely accurate. It is freaking cold and everyone hates it during the winter, but misses the cold in the really freaking hot summers. So good on that, it's awesome.

This was such a deep story about the struggles of addiction. With how Tim acted with his daughter, and how it changed his life just from a simple hug, was incredible storytelling.

You're an amazing writer and I loved every aspect of this so much.

Well done!
LovePercabeth4eva chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
I really liked this story