Reviews for Underpinnings
Nessie-san chapter 1 . 11/23/2013
This was so hard to read, but it was also incredibly compelling in the way that a train wreck or a car accident is. The entire time I wanted to scream at her that it wasn't her fault, that she wasn't asking for it, that she's so strong and that it was rape, and that they're sick fucks, and... and I knew at the same time that none of those things would help, because she wouldn't believe it, and would continue blaming herself for something that wasn't her fault, and god I hate our society, and this was so incredibly beautiful and horrible that it hurts.
Magyka chapter 1 . 4/11/2013
I'm too lazy to sign in but this was too poetic and intense for me not to review. When I first read DAYD, I felt sorry for Lavender. As a girl, I was outraged and insulted at the boorish activities of Crabbe and Goyle. But this... this was an eye opener. The whole piece was so well thought out, written with just the right amount of defiance, pathos and resignation that I was moved to tears (and I don't cry very easily). I don't pretend to understand some of her actions, (WHY? WHY DID YOU GO BACK? WHY DIDN'T YOU HEX THEM INTO THE NEXT CENTURY, THEY WERE HURTING YOU!) but I guess that's just the beauty and complexity of her character which you brought out so well. I love the layers you added to her personality. Kudos!
Lissa.chann chapter 1 . 1/13/2013
whyyyyyyyyyyyy it's so beautifully tragic!
yellow 14 chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Brutally insightful into her mindset. Keep writing
RavenEcho chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
Intense, and so incredibly well done.
Greensl33ves chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
It's amazing how much clothes matter in this world we live in. As the short-skirted variety of girl, when a relationship went wrong it's obvious how the only person I had to blame was myself. Why was I doing wearing it if I didn't want it? Too many promisesthreatsoffers to count, and they're funny until they're real. Everything really is fair if you're pretty, if you're smart, if you have something someone else wants.

It doesn't matter who 'they' are, because they are as much you as any real force, always watching your every move, seeing everything except inside their minds. Prediction is worse than reality, but you don't know that because you cannot solve a problem from within a problem. Surviving on the outside always presents a bigger problem: how to go on surviving inside your own head.

You do have a gift for this. Said it before, I'll say it again; you gotta tell me when you publish a book, because I want to read it.
brittanythestoryteller chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
This is incredibly well-written and beautiful in its own way. I like how you incorporated how Lavender was slandered for her relationship with Ron; even JKR painted her out as this silly girl getting in the way of Ron and Hermione getting together and hurting Hermione by "flaunting" their relationship in front of her. But wasnt it possible that she was just a girl infatuated with a boy? Lavender is such a tragically misunderstood character and Ive said it before and Ill say it again, that I love how in the DAYDverse she actually has hobbies besides Divination and baby unicorns and is an actual person with feelings and ordeals.

As a victim of both rape and domestic violence, I understand why she went back. Why she did everything that she did to please them... the alternative was too much to bear even when it wasnt clear exactly what that would be except Bad Things Would Happen. I understand why she blamed herself for inconveniencing Neville, how she felt how he was uncomfortable when she stripped to show him her bruises; trauma like that really makes you a virtual slave to others' and extremely sensitive to how you are burdening them (even, and especially, when youre really not). I was always asked the same questions that Lav has brought up in this piece; the "why did you keep going back" and "why didnt you fight back" questions are societys ignorance. Only once youve been there do you realize that youre not always thinking clearly, always fearing the next move or threat, there is little time for resistance (especially when loved ones are threatened and C&G legitimately could have had her family hurt or even killed if they turned her in as a blood-traitor - I believe that much). Lavender is in no way at fault for what happened to her, even if it wasnt exactly penetration.. that matters little. An assault is an assault, and C&Gs was a mental assault just as much as it was physical. They degraded her, shamed her, humiliated her, and I admire her strength for how she continued with the DA and held her head high and continued going onward. Even if she had those moments, we all do, she had incredible strength to keep going and devote herself to the DA just as she had before. Her stand now meant so much more than just another student fighting against the current regime; it was her chance to finally fight back against the injustice that was dealt upon her.

This was incredibly emotional for me to read, and I found myself relating to Lavenders thoughts and flashbacks. I will always love her character; had she lived, she would have gone on to be a fantastic woman. Thank you for writing this, really. It is an incredible, powerful piece.
kci47 chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
Poor Lavender...this makes me sad. I hope she can come to realize that she was never at fault one day.
Arnel 63 chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
You've done this very effectively. All the sides at once was a little confusing at first, but then when I stopped to analyze the tone of each part of a paragraph, the voices became distinct. The end made me sad; Lavender not knowing whether she could go back to normal sex seemed quite bleak and made me wonder if she would ever have a stable, meaningful relationship later in life. The things one has to do to survive...
SWaddict1986 chapter 1 . 10/15/2012
“Hers were more sweeps of the pen or pencil, shapes that her mind's eye filled in well enough and her expertise and the whims of the cloth refined in the moment.”

Beautiful, artistic beginning.

“She had learned what they liked to see.”

It makes me sad that she does things for THEM and not completely for herself. Very, very sad.
And yet, you show the absolute talent she has. She knows her body, knows how to modify things perfectly, understands how to make clothes do what she wants.

“Whatcha got tonight, slut? Eyes unpeeling her skin like razors glinting in the dark. Lessee whatcha got. Oh, that's nice, that's real nice…give us some tits, yeah?”

*whimpers* :(

“ Daddy says they've got a bloke in from Egypt who's teaching all kinds of wicked cool new stuff about pain. Spread herself against the back of a chair and it keeps a barrier in exchange for just a little more humiliation.”

*shudders and gags*
It’s so much worse reading what they said. So much worse, more depressing, more heartbreaking.

“ Was there any legitimate reason you couldn't have kicked their arses from here to the Channel and back or even killed them?)”

Fear? They’re stronger? There were two, she was one, they were already bruising her and preventing her from being able to fully fight back.

“Did you really think they'd hurt your family?”

Did you know that fear is completely irrational, and even rationality can’t make it dissipate?

“Those two are so gross, I'm not surprised they did something like this. (It's not really their fault. They're like animals. Between their IQ and their upbringing, they can't help it. It's what guys like that do. It's like you were dangling meat in front of a dog and then acting shocked when they bit.)”

WTF WHO is saying/asking these things?!

“ Ginny had never really gotten the rules other women had to live by. Bitch.”

It’s not Ginny’s fault. And [I don’t think] Ginny ever ‘slut-shamed’ Lav.

“Merlin, she'd never forget Neville's eyes. Last boy in the school she'd ever have wanted to hurt.”

:( But he wasn’t hurt by her. He was hurt at the fact that another person could do that to a human.

“ No sooner are the bruises gone than the cleavage is back and she's eating bananas bold as anything in the Great Hall as if it never happened. Even Ginny is proud of her.
The underpinnings hurt.”

*takes her in my arms and holds her close.*