Reviews for Requiem
Roentgen Ray chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
Beautiful, simply put. Love the disconnectedness. Keep up the good work.
Ms Starlight chapter 1 . 11/29/2002
Wow. That's all I can say...simply, wow. I loved the use of bold text. I loved how things were disjointed. I loved everything about this! It's emotional, it's thoughtful, impactful, beautiful. God, I wish I could have written this. I can't be so random as this style, but I simply adore it! You're an amazing author.
Lunatique chapter 1 . 11/28/2002
Time to 'fess up-I read Requiem quite some time ago but didn't review back then. There are times when I feel so strongly about a story, the writing that I can't possibly talk about it on the spot. I felt (perhaps wrongly) that talking about my feelings for this story would somehow make my impressions less mine, dilute the unspeakable ringing in my heart.

What to say about Requiem? At the shallwest level the writing is extremely sophisticated and beautiful, with the kind of rich yet emotionally spare style that leaves the reader space to feel for herself. At a more relevant level... oh God, the most intelligent I can get is that Requiem is a short epic, a tribute to the very human spirit, the suffering and beauty that is in all of us. Sorry, I sound stupid but that was the best I could do.
Itamar chapter 1 . 7/25/2002
"Men always think about their past before they die, as if they're frantically searching for some proof they were ever alive."

~Jet Black

I have not played FF8, and the most I know of Seifer is through lanesa's writing. She brings forth an image of him, of a confused soul lost...and his memories are the most human of all, they remind me of my own...

Colors, smells, images. Like a lost small child, he lost his memories. It put him in an infantile stage, where he could not think for himself...only serve as a killer. This is what I have taken from lanesa's writing. As such, his memories are blurred like a child's...he could remember the colors, the images, the promises, it was all there. It was lost, but he could still find them again. He knew, before he died, his mind searched for the reason. His mind refused to die in a reality where he was a man who could recognize nothing. He had to recognize something, something that was already there...something that was erased. There, but he couldn't grasp it. Not until he died. He found his evidence, the red light stopped...

Heck, I could be way off. Oh well...

Excellent job, as always.
maureen who is too damn lazy to sign in chapter 1 . 7/24/2002
i finally read it! and once again, elaine you are my goddamn hero, i think if you don't become a writer i shall strangle you. you really have it. this piece is really intricate, i love the style it kicks bootay. hope you're having fun in greece babay!
Baconfat chapter 1 . 7/24/2002
If I wasn't supposed to be a writer here, this review would be nothing but a series of swear words. Because I can't think of any other way to say how much I loved this, and how much emotion it brought out of me. Good lord. Words are failing me, and I wish I had a better way to say how beautiful and PERFECT this is. The phrasing, the imagery - and it works so perfectly, is so completely Seifer... I feel like I've been punched in the gut. I'm hurt, and I'm humbled. I grovel before your writing skill, lanesa. And I have to second everything said in the previous reviews: it is such a rarity to find a fic of this character that brings out so much emotion through such vivid imagery rather than outright overstated emotion. I think I'm going to have to quit writing altogether... and devote the rest of my days to waiting for your next piece.
Michelle chapter 1 . 7/22/2002
Well, here I be, delivering a well deserved review. Not logged in, sorry bout that, but hey, this is good no? Beautiful, once again, always. I especially love the last line. The best thing about you, is that you just have these one liners, or whatever, that *really* jump out, and...well, ya know. Can't think of a particular phrasing, but I assure you, it's meant to be a compliment. Yes, you have now experienced my brand of insanity in reviewing. Remember it well.

Michelle
Cyrell chapter 1 . 7/20/2002
I really liked the structure of this story. The interwoven bits of dialogue and the well-written introspection made this an enjoyable read.
Wravyn chapter 1 . 7/20/2002
*blinks. blinks again*

The understated emotions, the beautiful way you use imagery, the way you hint at things without having to say them directly out loud, the experimental way of writing...

Madre de Dios. I wonder, lanesa, if you have any idea how much I love your work. This story is a perfect example of why.