Reviews for The High Price of Happiness
KrisNoel chapter 1 . 8/28/2014
I love the banter back and forth with those two, but I'm always sad when they don't end up together. Although it is understandable in this story! Great writing!
AC01 chapter 1 . 1/22/2014
Typically, I avoid tragic stories. Simply put, I read for enjoyment, inspiration, or education. Following that pattern, it becomes easy to forget why there are often gems of wisdom to be found in tragic, heart-rending tales. In this case, I was reminded of the bittersweet gift and beauty of humanity. While escaping into the world of fantasy and fiction has its allure, I am ultimately charmed by the treasures to be found in my reality, especially when they are hard-won. Thank you for sharing your insight. — Alex
jeannie kaulitz chapter 1 . 6/4/2013
Very good read! This story made me laugh a bit when of jareth being naive of pain in child births haha... haaa... if only he said Sorry maybe Sarah would've made a different decision by then and would've come and live with him.

Still, This is a very good story even if I love a Happy Ending... It's still good.
Elanor Ainu chapter 1 . 4/7/2013
That was pretty outstanding and a bit unexpected in a few ways, but with a nice bit of fluff mixed in - surprise!kisses by Jareth are an often-read favourite of mine, but this one turned out very differently than others. I liked the approach of a naive Goblin King who thinks everything he has to offer her is everything he needs. I also have a kind of random interest in the span of sixty years between important events. One very random example would be the passing of sixty years between the action of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but the example that usually strikes me first is contained in a few lines from a poem by Neil Gaiman, "The Fairy Reel": "But I am young no longer now / For sixty years my heart's been gone / To play its dreadful music there / Beyond the valley of the Sun." (In a way, that poem would also fit a Sarah storyline if one were to twist and bend it a little) ... but I digress.

Long story short: Superb execution of an unusual approach to their love-that-was-not-to-be.
ChestnutBrumby chapter 1 . 4/4/2013
Sixty years! You do love to surprise your readers :)

Regrets... none that she's likely to be able to talk about! But no hint of magic in her life... silly Sarah, if you've never been sick a day in your life... hmm.

The dedication was very sweet. And HOW Jareth made me laugh bringing out the ring "No, too soon? Give it a few minutes!" HA, he's so very very sure of himself! Sure of their story together, he's going to have to start listening, sometime!

"Ah, you are overwhelmed with gratitude, I see" - -snicker- arrogant bastard Jareth! I doubt you see right now, either. I think if Sarah hadn't been in her seventies she would have hit him then :P

All in all I enjoyed it, especially Arrogant Jareth, apart from the ending - romantic sucker like myself, it's got to hint at a more traditional 'happy ending' to really score points with me. Though it was still happy for Sarah, and offered a very interesting perspective.
JacquiDee chapter 1 . 11/23/2012
Sigh. Fantastic, as always. You have a wonderful gift. It was a very elegantly sad piece, but what is a writer that can't evoke emotion? Beautiful.
Anono chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Brilliantly original. You caught the characters well
MissMisc3 chapter 1 . 10/18/2012
Great work. You are a fantastic writer, without question. Thank you for writing/posting.
Lily-Beth.Bluebell chapter 1 . 10/17/2012
I have to admit, I was surprised when I saw that someone had responded to the challenge. As for you not being sure if it's fulfilled what's required, ultimately it doesn't matter if it has or hasn't, it should be your writing with a few basic guidelines, and that's what this was.

I was really surprised at the end. I mean, I don't think I've ever read a Labyrinth story where Sarah DOESN'T end up with the Goblin King in some way. I also think it's kind of a shame. I mean, Jareth's being...well, there's not really a word I can think of. He's done so much for her but it's only hurt her in the long run, but he seems to think he's genuinely done her a service. He just doesn't understand human notions and I'm pretty sure that aspect of the Fae (if that's what you were going for) is in the Fae myth. Fae don't usually understand much about humans.

I think Jareth was quite juvenile here too, not that it's a bad thing. He's almost egotistical. Like, "Why would you want them when there's me?" And in some ways he has considered her emotions, trying to save her from all this pain she would have experienced, but he's also NOT considering her emotions by just kind of assuming she should want him and only him.

Also, this has to be one of the ONLY stories when I agree with Sarah's rejection of Jareth. I mean, she is 75, she can't have children any more and her chances of meeting someone and getting married are just 1 in a million now. And Jareth is the one who destroyed that. I cried near the end when I realised that Jareth had prevented her from having a baby.

I think this whole story kind of gets the message across that we really don't always get what you want. Sometimes you're a normal girl with dreams, and factors beyond your control (Jareth) make it impossible to get what you want. And it also shows that even if you're a magical king who can reorder time and move stars, you don't necessarily get what you want. I think that's a really powerful message and it works well with the bittersweet ending.

ANYWAY, I really enjoyed this story because I think the concept of having Sarah an old lady and rejecting the Goblin King properly is rare in this fandom, and it was refreshing to read :)
notwritten chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Very good. Keep smiling. :-)
lolgirl chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
OMG. The most sad and most beutiful labyrinth fandom I have ever read... I am crying.
etcetera nine chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
:D It was an hono(u)r.

And I forgot to tell you how much I liked this line: "It was shocking enough to twist her grief slightly to one side, to allow her mind to clear."

And the watermelon and the lemon.
FrozenPride chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
This was a lot of fun to read! (Even if my inner fangirl is sad that that Jareth and Sarah didn't live happily ever after.)
Sarah Rose 29 chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Sad, but well written. Good job.
01000000000100010000000 chapter 1 . 10/16/2012
Could you continue this please? I really like it