Reviews for Wake Me When Summer Comes
k8ff chapter 4 . 6/6/2014
Can't wait for more
enka3 chapter 4 . 10/3/2013
I had to go back and read chapter 3 again...it is a nice story, but please don't take this long to update
reve2weaver chapter 4 . 8/20/2013
I love how Charlie doesn't really have a handle on his teen daughter: lots of interesting glimpses at his well-meaning but out-of-depth parenting. He's not a bad guy, but he's not exactly trying, either. Esme, as well: well-meaning, but hapless.
Oh! Edward lopping across the lawn and then frozen was equal parts idiot and endearing. The shed scene was magnetic: he's like some wild deer she's caught and smuggled into her room, but too big to stay there, it tromps around the tiny space, wanting to bolt. She can't bring herself to let it go, either, but knows its just a matter of time before it does serious damage. Love this tension and tentative friendship between the two of them. Sweet and dangerous.
Rose catching the money hand-off was heart-stopping: does she suspect? Bella's quick thinking looks like Rose isn't the only one who can be cool under pressure. I guess Bella has learned her craft after being at Rose's thorny side.
I love how Rose objectifies Edward by calling him 'the delinquent': you can almost hear the affection under it, but you're never really sure if she cares, or is even capable of it. Rose is almost as interesting as Edward! I kind of secretly root for her, which is kind of disturbing because I can bet she's capable of doing verra bad things. This affection for Rose must be a throw-back from my HS days, where you were unthinkingly loyal, until you were driven away by immolation. Rose's friendship is Bella holding onto the tail of that stalking tiger, but it looks like Bella had found herself grabbing two tails in one, grabbing onto Edward. too. It's all good for now since they seem to be running in step and dragging her along, but for how long?
I love this Jake. He's funny and formidable without being a convenient gay cliche (the Menthols was a funny detail). He's two parts old friend, and one part eye-rolling annoyed, but I get him: you can see how hard it is to get through to Bella's self-loathing. Weren't we all blinded by our distorted mirrors? The kindness of our friends often went unheard, and only the insults seemed to seep into us, like cigarette smoke.
Once again, I love the tone of this: enigmatic and electric.
reve2weaver chapter 3 . 8/20/2013
Love this! There is such a palpable energy and the tone carries the wilding and the weight of those confusing years that buzzes between the lines.
I love this Bella: her quiet defiance and teen angst reads with a quiet realism: I recognize this clamped-down girl, the question is who will she be and what will she do when she has had enough? I love hows she not written with over-wrought descriptions, yet her emotional turmoil is no less apparent.
I really like this Rose: sure she's that girl, the one we equally feared and focussed on in HS, but she's was also the one we never did see very clearly, even when we thought we did. I think her characterization is really compelling, and I feel Bella's equal parts fear and empathy for wanting to be the friend for prickly and charming Rose. I cringed when Rose called out poor Stanley, and I remember those girl pack moments well, and my own unwilling participation by keeping silent, grateful it wasn't directed at me. As teen girls, we all excelled in the art of schadenfreude. Running with those pack girls was equal parts torchure and triumph, and I think that inward curling nest of eels is really captured well here, without villainizing Rose as a one-dimensional mean-girl. I like how it shows how each girl plays a complicit and willing part in pack behaviour, a clear-eyed depiction for what it is: the exercising of girls' power, so different from boys, yes, but because it had to be.
This Edward is that ticking-bomb: he's that boy, the one who had trouble and troubled written all over him, and we couldn't look away or get close. He could hold everyone's attention as a way to keep people always at arms length.
Oh, the cruel and exaggerated lies of gossip, the dance of frenemies, the hallway audiences... it's all here in spades, and I love the way these characters are coming to life, their secrets etched in their actions. I especially love the glimpses of Bella, struggling to make sense of mess. You can't help but root for her as she got caught up and came too close, singed by the solar flares that are Rose and Edward.
twitoria chapter 4 . 8/17/2013
Crazy cool, always interested in what you have to give
cejsmom chapter 4 . 8/17/2013
Alerts for this story always make my day. Reading the chapter made my week. So a little bit more of the plot thickening. All very interesting. I reread the story again hoping for more clues cuz I'm a little invested.
amelia chapter 1 . 8/14/2013
you can feel this poor girl's despair. she's just trying to get through the day.
jimemon chapter 4 . 8/13/2013
Great chapter
imagine43ver chapter 4 . 8/12/2013
Lovin' the mystery of it all. Anxious to put the pieces together. Thanks for the update. Cannot wait until the next chapter comes!
GorGirl chapter 4 . 8/12/2013
Can't wait for more!
GorGirl chapter 3 . 8/12/2013
So Rose is the one who stole him first.
GorGirl chapter 2 . 8/12/2013
Rose is bad ass!
GorGirl chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
Sounds like hell with nuns.
Guest chapter 1 . 8/12/2013
I love this story:)
sujari6 chapter 4 . 8/12/2013
Seems there's a mystery here.