Reviews for To Die for the Republic
HunterofLight123 chapter 32 . 3/27/2017
God I love this series.
Nuada Silverhand chapter 40 . 1/30/2017
Good story.

My chain of thought when reading "why couldn't they be doing something safe, like delivering babies":

- Well, guess that confirms she's going to work in the hospital then (I'd thought as much when she took such delight in watching the babies earlier)
- Hmm, that's a bit of an odd choice for the protagonist. There's a lot of action in RotS, how is becoming an expert in delivering babies going to change the...
- Oh
- Oooh
- Oooooooooooh
- Well, I should have seen that one coming a lot sooner...

On a more general note, I like the idea of a story following a minor protagonist. The galaxy's going down the toilet, you're not one of the five people who can change that, and all you can do is watch over your little corner of it and try to weather the storm the best you can.

Only criticisms are that sometimes it's hard to tell what's plot and what's simply Sabé's internal monologue, and that it was hard to remember everyone's name at the beginning as they were all quite similar (got used to it quicker than I thought, though). Also, I'd have liked to see more of the original cast return for larger roles here; I think the explosion scene would have packed more punch if one of the original handmaidens died, and I never got particularly attached to their replacements.

Good job overall though, looking forward to start reading the third.
LilithL2 chapter 41 . 11/17/2016
i absolutly loved this story. amazing
congratulations! ;)
keep writting like this, is really beautiful to read! ;)
I love that your characters get overwhelmed, are not heroes without flaws, you make them real, imperfect and perfect at the same time.
really wonderful to see... you have a real shot at being a writer if you someday want to do original work. Keep me informed if that is the case, please! ;) loved it!
LilithL2 chapter 38 . 11/17/2016
i love more and more Sabe! this is a fantastic story! congratulations! ;)
LilithL2 chapter 8 . 11/17/2016
this is a beautiful story and a hearthbreaking chapter.
thank you.
i am amazed with your writting. congratulations!
d3l3t3M3N0w chapter 41 . 4/21/2016
Whew, and now i've read the entirety of To Die for the Republic.

I love how your writing can be seen to have improved over the course of your... well writing. from the Start of Queen until now. That's good to see.

I have really enjoyed reading To Die and am eager to start reading the final part.

I think I still prefer your first story, Queen, but that's to do with the storyline and how closely it ties with the movie. This actually gave me a greater appreciation of the film! (and this is not to say that To Die is not as good, but I can imagine it was a bit harder for you to have to come up with more hmm, plots? as there is less available from the film that you could directly use unlike in TPM.)

So yeah, it was wicked and I enjoyed it.

I'm wondering where you will go for the third part, now that Sabé is no longer a Handmaiden (probably?). How much will change with the ending? I'm not sure where i'd prefer you to go with it honestly. It depends how AU you plan to go. It might be nice if some things can change, but not everything? That's a hard one to talk about I think. How much to change without it becoming a different story entirely. Or is that the plan?

I can't wait to find out!
Guest chapter 41 . 4/11/2016
So, I think I've calmed down sufficiently enough to communicate my thoughts on this story in a much more coherent way. I'm a bit late with all this, but I read this and To Save The Queen in maybe two days, and I think that this series is absolutely amazing. I absolutely love how real you've made the characters, setting and story feel. The perfect emotional intensity (which you write perfectly) has made me laugh, made me cry, and made me think (it's also given me several mini heart attacks born out of concern for the characters). Your writing flows beautifully, with unique and engaging style (and very, very few grammatical errors, which is nice), and even in the slower moments, it's never even a little bit boring. I'm also amazed by your dedication-you've been writing these since what, 2011? 2010? I've seen very few fanfiction authors who put so much time and effort into their stories, so I really admire you for it.
I really, really love the entire premise of the story. I've always been fascinated by the handmaidens. They were very overlooked in the movies, but let's not rehash all of the mistakes of the prequels, haha.
Anyway,
Sabé is beautifully multidimensional, relatable and realistic. All the characters are, really. You've made them all incredibly unique and interesting in so many ways. I love them all. Actually, I may never be able to watch AoTC again without tearing up at the ship explosion scene, and I blame you for that. You've brought these characters perfectly to life and seeing them hurt is like being physically stabbed in the gut.
You're also remarkably true to the main Star Wars characters. You emphasize different elements of their personalities that I think we're present in the movies, but were overshadowed or ignored, such as Padme's passionate dedication to her work and Anakin's struggles with the emotional conflicts caused by entering the Jedi Order at such a late age and the Order's ridiculous aversion to personal attachment.
I wasn't sure about the Sabé/Obi-Wan thing at first, because I assumed it would be annoying and rushed and unrealistic with regard to their characters. I was proven wrong, however, and now I actually ship them (help). You addressed (or really you are addressing) the whole Jedi-Can't-Have-Attachments mess in a much more realistic way than most writers do.
Gah, I still want to know who the Girl Who Burned is. I thought she might have been Versé's little sister, but I'm doubting that now. Oh well, this is getting too long. But anyway, this entire series is amazing, your writing is astounding, and so are you. Congrats on finishing these two, and best of luck on the next!
Guest chapter 41 . 4/10/2016
This whole fic was absolutely amazing!
Guest chapter 37 . 4/10/2016
Congratulations on making me
A) Actually kinda ship Obi-Wan Kenobi with Sabé, despite my initial skepticism, and
B) cry more than when I read The Fault in Our Stars.
Guest chapter 35 . 4/10/2016
Well, you made me cry. Over Cordé, mostly, because I make mistakes and get attached to background characters.
Guest chapter 34 . 4/10/2016
Well, I momentarily forgot that this story was AU, then I was surprised, then I was horrifically worried (and still am, to a degree) for Sabé. I definitely like what you changed. It all fits very well with the characters and everything. I can now say with certainty that I like this version of Anakin and Padmé's romance and Shmi's death better than the actual, canon version of events.
Guest chapter 32 . 4/10/2016
I'm really curious as to what on earth is going on with Sabé's dreams, and who the girl is.
Also, poor Cordé.
Actually I'm kinda freaking out a bit over these things.
Guest chapter 11 . 4/9/2016
Oh no, you've made Cordè into the sweetest character ever. At the rate I'm currently going, I'll get to the bit where she dies sometime between 12 and 1 AM, meaning I'm very likely to cry.
Oh my gosh your stories are amazing.
Guest chapter 8 . 4/9/2016
Aw, this is the cutest. And perfectly in character, too!
Guest chapter 5 . 4/9/2016
Aw, I'm starting to ship it.
849 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 .. Last Next »