Reviews for Just a Shadow of Herself
Beth chapter 1 . 1/5
...More? Please? Here's a bar of virtual chocolate. *Hands over chocolate bar*
Beth chapter 1 . 10/23/2013
Any chance of another update? Please?
callie rawston chapter 1 . 5/17/2013
You write Kate and I cry. This is a certainty. And the amount I cry does not appear to correlate with how much you tell me about a fic in advance, because I know I sobbed buckets over this one despite having read a lot of it via snippet beforehand. Anyway….

The opening section was so strong, because for a short while it could have described probably a number of nights Kate had put herself through with random men, but then it became apparent how much more serious this situation was. I think I lived through every element of that scene with her I have to say, it was not a comfortable night of sleep I had that night. You captured the emotion of her feeling out of control, coming to her senses and realising this needed to stop but being powerless to vividly it was unreal.

I doubted I’ve ever been more grateful for footsteps than I had in that moment, and I loved the touch of Kate attempting to cover herself up to stop herself feeling so exposed. Ryan was the perfect person to arrive in that moment, non-judgemental, sympathetic, safe and warm, and I totally bought the description of how the usually publically together Kate fell apart in front of him and attempted to escape into his arms.

I almost smiled in spite of the gravity of the situation when Kate recognised Jed’s footsteps before she saw him, such is their connection and I found her reaction to his arrival, shaking him off and fleeing to the toilets to be sick, completely believable in the circumstances. You managed to convey Molly in a way that didn’t make me want to throttle her too, which is always a positive. Kate’s teary response to her torn clothes devastated me, as did her crying her heart out on Molly before they were interrupted.

Your description of her skin feeling hot where the man had touched her really struck a chord with me, as did her staring into Jed’s eyes and attempting to establish if he felt anything at all. Jed always was a man of few words, especially in significant circumstances so you had his struggle to ask that one important question so in character. It pleased me that she finally allowed Jed to take care of her, to offer her his coat and accompany her home. The description of how the cool air was soothing felt so realistic, as did her decreasing claustrophobia as they got closer to home.

Without actually putting it completely into words you conveyed so brilliantly why she needed to have a bath, the desperation to rid herself of the man’s touch evident throughout. It broke my heart how Kate blamed herself for what had occurred, the outfit and her implied behaviour obviously enough in her eyes to make this seem like her fault – which above being very true to the character we saw on screen in her moments of vulnerability is also a very honest and true reaction to the events.

I think I was almost sick myself when you had Kate relive what had happened, but I was ever grateful Jed was clear that it was not her fault, especially when she cried (and I cried with her) about what kind of person it made her that she flirted with this man just to get Jed’s attention. A question I don’t think he would ever have been able to answer in a way she believed.

A subject that is tough to handle but you told the story so responsibly, with such excellent description and characterisation. I do love it when you write Kate.
Minxheart chapter 1 . 3/1/2013
OH REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT LOVE JED/KATE
Marianufc chapter 1 . 2/1/2013
That was really good! You should update it
lovelyja chapter 1 . 11/25/2012
Wow, great writing:) cant wait for your next update
Beth chapter 1 . 10/30/2012
Wow. Just wow. I had tears in my eyes whilst reading this.
Duchess Isadorra chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
I just love Jed and Kate! Awesome work!