Reviews for A Soldier's Salute
Wonderful story! James Beck's death was such a tragedy. R.I.P. James Beck and R.I.P. Walker
Bella Duveen79 chapter 4 . 9/6
So much I loved about this. Even though it was so sad to think of Walker meeting his end as he did here, and I'm glad that we know that all the characters made it through the War in the show, this was a really touching alternative take on things. I particularly liked your look at Mavis and Wilson's relationship, and it was so sweet that he acknowledged Pike as his son - that was lovely. Always think that even though they didn't know about their relationship to one another, they loved each other as if they did (not that any father and son would have said it in so many words at the time!)
You got all the characters really well, and captured the loss that the cast no doubt felt with the real life passing of James Beck. Their responses were perfect, and your love for the show shines throughout. I know it's been a while since you wrote this, but I hope you write again sometime - really good writing.
An absolutely amazing story! I absolutely love James Beck and only watch the episodes with him in
Joe's no. 1 chapter 4 . 8/2/2014
Oh dear, I'm holding back tears.

Walker always was, still is, and always will be, the best.
Ravenclaw Midnight Blue chapter 4 . 5/19/2014
There were some grammatical errors, such as this from Ch.1: "Thank you, Mr Yeatman." the vicar said impatiently.

(Should be a comma, not a full stop, after 'Yeatman', because the sentence is still flowing)

Other than that, this was very written - with you capturing the characters perfectly. I liked the balance between the seriousness and the funny remarks. In spite of Walker's appearance in the 1960s opening scene of 'The Man And The Hour', I prefer this timeline - as it properly addresses Walker's absence beyond the episode 'The Recruit'.

Good work!
dreamer 3097 chapter 4 . 1/29/2014
A good one
Ersatz Writer chapter 3 . 1/11/2014
*bursts into tears*
Ersatz Writer chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Oh my god... This makes my heart ache so badly... I love Walker. He's so absolutely amazing, and the episodes without him really make me feel kinda empty... And I always seemed to notice the gap in the ranks of soldiers without him...

Now everytime an episode of Dad's Army airs, I always check the soldiers and I always feel so relieved when I see Walker there...

Also, you write beautifully. Everyone is so perfectly in character! :3 My respects to Private Walker, and RIP James Beck.
Dave chapter 2 . 10/28/2013
This is all very nice - but even though James Beck the actor died, the character of Private Walker actually survived the war. The very first episode of 'Dad's Army' starts with a scene set in the 1960's at a function for local VIP's - Mainwaring's there, as is Wilson and a moustachioed Pike - as well as Joe Walker.

I suppose the assumption must be that Walker returned to Walmington sometime after series nine.
Mitchell.RonnieMitchell chapter 4 . 3/24/2013
That was amazing! I never thought to read or write dad's army fanfiction until today!
moso-bean chapter 4 . 2/4/2013
this seems so poignant now after Clive Dunn's death, and seeing the names at the end just makes you think. This is such a good fic, please continue to write x
moso-bean chapter 3 . 2/4/2013
i don't think you understand how much this fic is perfect! ahhhhhhhh.
i love it.
moso-bean chapter 2 . 2/4/2013
despite the fact i was crying a little, the last line made me smile :)