Reviews for A Soldier's Salute
Joe's no. 1 chapter 4 . 8/2/2014
Oh dear, I'm holding back tears.

Walker always was, still is, and always will be, the best.
Ravenclaw Midnight Blue chapter 4 . 5/19/2014
There were some grammatical errors, such as this from Ch.1: "Thank you, Mr Yeatman." the vicar said impatiently.

(Should be a comma, not a full stop, after 'Yeatman', because the sentence is still flowing)

Other than that, this was very written - with you capturing the characters perfectly. I liked the balance between the seriousness and the funny remarks. In spite of Walker's appearance in the 1960s opening scene of 'The Man And The Hour', I prefer this timeline - as it properly addresses Walker's absence beyond the episode 'The Recruit'.

Good work!
dreamer 3097 chapter 4 . 1/29/2014
A good one
Ersatz Writer chapter 3 . 1/11/2014
*bursts into tears*
Ersatz Writer chapter 1 . 1/11/2014
Oh my god... This makes my heart ache so badly... I love Walker. He's so absolutely amazing, and the episodes without him really make me feel kinda empty... And I always seemed to notice the gap in the ranks of soldiers without him...

Now everytime an episode of Dad's Army airs, I always check the soldiers and I always feel so relieved when I see Walker there...

Also, you write beautifully. Everyone is so perfectly in character! :3 My respects to Private Walker, and RIP James Beck.
Dave chapter 2 . 10/28/2013
This is all very nice - but even though James Beck the actor died, the character of Private Walker actually survived the war. The very first episode of 'Dad's Army' starts with a scene set in the 1960's at a function for local VIP's - Mainwaring's there, as is Wilson and a moustachioed Pike - as well as Joe Walker.

I suppose the assumption must be that Walker returned to Walmington sometime after series nine.
Lupinelover chapter 3 . 5/9/2013
I know I've already reviewed, but I just couldn't read this without another review. This is my favourite fanfiction, ever.
Lupinelover chapter 4 . 4/7/2013
This one made me smile. Fortunately, Walker did in fact survive the war. Nice story, though.
Mitchell.RonnieMitchell chapter 4 . 3/24/2013
That was amazing! I never thought to read or write dad's army fanfiction until today!
moso-bean chapter 4 . 2/4/2013
this seems so poignant now after Clive Dunn's death, and seeing the names at the end just makes you think. This is such a good fic, please continue to write x
moso-bean chapter 3 . 2/4/2013
i don't think you understand how much this fic is perfect! ahhhhhhhh.
i love it.
moso-bean chapter 2 . 2/4/2013
despite the fact i was crying a little, the last line made me smile :)
moso-bean chapter 1 . 2/4/2013
this is making me tear up, and despite the whole aspect of the story, you've managed to get all the characters personalities right.
DrWhoFan71 chapter 4 . 12/16/2012
This short but poignant fic was nothing less than a Dad's Army masterpiece. Moving and funny at the same time, the characterization was spot on. I loved these moments in particular;

- "P.S. if you're still reading this, then kindly leave £16, 9 shillings and 6 pence for your gifts, they weren't easy to get."

- "Unfortunately no." he said at last, "Elizabeth has never been one for funerals, she feels black isn't good for her… figure. In any case, she's taking to sleeping in the shelter."
"But there hasn't been a raid for over a week." Mrs Pike pointed out.
"Try telling her that." mumbled Mainwaring.

- "I'm letting you have a pound sausages for your trip Joe." he said.
"Hang on!" cried Hodges, standing up, "You told me you didn't have any sausage left when I came into your shop yesterday."
"Well, you're not dead, are you?" retorted Jones, hotly.

- "Well, he always had some qualities in him that reminded me of my mother" said Frazer.
"In what way?" asked Wilson.
"Well, she was sometimes an irritating, money grabber too."

- "You will be respectable, or you will get this up you, and you will not like it."

A fitting tribute if there ever was one. RIP to them all; they're up in that great parading ground in the sky now... Fantastic job
DrWhoFan71 chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
A fittingly moving tribute to the brilliant James Beck. Walker was, is and always be my favourite member of the platoon & James' death was a tragic & deeply saddening blow to the show. This so far has been truly magnificent in paying respectful tribute to him while maintaining the characterization of the platoon excellently, from Jones' Sudan ramblings to Godfrey's quiet but ever-present voice of morality. While I sometimes choose to believe that Walker survived the war because of the clip set in the 60s in the very 1st episode which featured him, this is a fitting & beautifully done alternative which captures the tragic aspect of war in the otherwise comedic setting of Walmington-on-Sea. Excellntly done; I will most definitely keep reading. It would be great to see more Dad's Army fanfictions, and you write them really well :)