Reviews for In the Service
Runawaymetaphor chapter 3 . 11/13/2012
"He and Natasha take point in taking out the guards silently, one by one, and Clint lets Johnson figure out for himself that 'Alpha' is only a letter, by making the guy retrieve his arrows for him."

1. Eww. Just... eww.

2. I think we both know, as do many hundred (thousand?) readers here that Alpha is more than a letter. ;-)
tayababy chapter 3 . 11/5/2012
Wow. About your frequent flyer miles, that's heaps because you do a hell of a lot of flying.

I'm also really enjoying this; you do Clint and Natasha so damn well, and I almost want you to create another universe, because that would be epic and amazing!
Izzyaro chapter 3 . 11/5/2012
This is brilliant. I really like the whole idea; it makes sense that there would be less clear cut missions, and you've handled the whole concept really well. All the characterisations are perfect too.
Qweb chapter 3 . 11/4/2012
Love the writing on this and am in awe of the action.
effecting regime change in a country named after the body parts of an endangered species - nice line.
I can tell you what time of year your story is set. Jacarandas only bloom in late spring, in May here in California.
Looks like Hill is a convert now.
Thanks for the story.
TheNaggingCube chapter 3 . 11/4/2012
Nice very very nice. Keep it coming please.
shenshen1977 chapter 3 . 11/4/2012
And another great chapter, I am especially in love with your use of the word "kleptocracy", awesome. Again you paint a very vivid picture, I was reminded of "Hotel Ruanda" with your description of the civil war breaking out. I loved the instinctive interaction of Clint and Natasha, their fighting resembling an intricate dance... Thank you for sharing! Really looking forward to the next part :)
CrlkSeasons chapter 3 . 11/4/2012
Fast paced action, taking the team in and out with Clint shaking off the "bits of thug that cling to the tip (of his arrow)". Some very disturbing images, particularly the child with the machete wounds.
Lots of throwaway lines - the Peter Marsden alias, the reference to Johnson as the new guy who "might as well be wearing a Starfleet issue red shirt", and the line advising the team to "feel free to be geologists, aid workers ... make something up" if they want a cover story.
Thank you for resolving the movement of the curtain and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s insistence on fronting this mission. Otherwise I would still have wondered.
"In this part of the world, people still seem to understand democracy as meaning 'my guy wins'." Partisan politics may do a better job of keeping the gloves on, but this interpretation of the democratic process isn't as limited to 'emerging democracies' as it should be.
lunarweather chapter 3 . 11/3/2012
'they might just as well be having wild, uninhibited sex on the map table.'...hahahahaha!

"I dunno. About as much as a little kid? Maybe a bit less?..." That's awesome. You tell 'em Barton.

Great chapter, very well put together.
Runawaymetaphor chapter 2 . 11/2/2012
So I realized as I got into bed tonight that I never officially posted a review for either of these chapters. Which is, in my mind, a tragedy Wagnerian scale- given how highly I think of them and how much we conversed on them.

So, as a sad little two one, my favorite passages from each:

Chapter 1's winner, for rather... understandable... reasons - " Orders are from the top so shut the fuck up. Message received, loud and clear. Clint briefly mulls over how this could be considered as an explanation on any level, but fact is, he is new and maybe that's what it's like in a bureaucracy, maybe he'll get used to it. So he decides, in fact, to shut the fuck up and go with the flow. For now, anyway. Clint doesn't tend to forget a lot of things; unanswered questions, never."

And from Chapter 2, as you already know what I think of Coulson's little Nespresso slide of hand, ""Just in case you don't understand. I can't fix this for you, Clint. This is so far beyond your usual fanciful paperwork origami, it's not funny."

Reason? Refer to quote from 1. . . connect dots in head. ;-)
hellseries chapter 2 . 10/30/2012
HAHAHAAHA Coulson and the damn Nespresso, that is SO him!
Superster chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
I love this. Clint's personality, Hill's obnoxiousness, Phil's adorableness, it's amazing! Keep up the good work. :)
Lotos-Eater chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
Excellent.
CrlkSeasons chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
I love the grittiness. There is a terrible irony in terms such as 'clean kill'. On the street I could feel the tension in their struggle to accommodate a sliver of trust within life-preserving doubt.
"Thoroughly fucked up ... but trying to make a go of it against the odds." This was a gripping, believable account of a moment in time when, against all odds, an unlikely relationship flickered to life in fucked up times.
TheNaggingCube chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
Oh my... I love this telling of now they met.
shenshen1977 chapter 2 . 10/28/2012
I love the evocative language, I could picture Tbilisi in perfect detail. I really enjoyed this part, especially this:
"She smiles back a little, mostly with her eyes, so he knows its real. Somehow, they understand each other, on a level he's not had before, not with anyone. It's a little unnerving. But his bow still has not wavered. Understanding is one thing; trust quite another."

And the end is just perfect, Coulson is quite the sly spy ;)

Thanks again for sharing your lovely writing with us!
69 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 Next »