Reviews for What Might Have Been
CGreene chapter 6 . 3/7
Love Sae's insight about the mining accident" leading to sicker people, "live long enough and you notice these patterns" such a great detail, and you just slip it in there so beautifully! but it speaks volumes.

And I so love the exchange with Maura. I think it's great how much humanity you cram into side characters, you don't dismiss anybody, that that's just amazing, real skill. I can kind of see her relationship with G from both of their povs, and all the problems from that, and that's just amazing. I like how you add little details to do that, like G saying he told her from the beginning the didn't have time for a fairy tale romance, but also his acknowledging she deserves a real convo about their break up. I love that detail, because it says so much about who G is, and how he thinks about relationships.

And, ahh! K's creeping jealousy/ interest (so well paced, I love the slow turn/burn approach) and then Prim coughing out of no where! what a cliffhanger!
CGreene chapter 5 . 3/7
Aww, the moment when K realizes he and G couldn't have gotten through it without each other. And when Prim addresses her about having to take of their mom the first time around, ohhh...

And then the turn, K unleashing her anger and Prim standing up to her. I love again how your characters are also so human and real. K's succumbs to her anger and unleashes, Prim tests their boundaries by rebuking K, then reacts poorly by running, and then how Hazelle and Gale handle it all at the end (his exchange with Rory, harsh, hard, but very well done, and I love the fraught tension when gale puts on his "father" hat and scolds everyone). Everyone is so perfectly human, which means flawed, and you capture that brilliantly.

I also like this detail "The boy didn't really sound like he'd have such qualms [about hitting a girl."

I also want to praise you for showing how hard life in the Seam really is. The vague threat of sexual violence and the threat of real violence dances around this chapter so wonderfully. You acknowledge it, but don't over do it, and I think that's a huge testament to your writing skills. Very well done.

And again, you handle all these characters brilliantly-they all have their own realistic motives and povs and they come together and clash and, oh my, it's so so good.
CGreene chapter 4 . 3/7
Gale carrying away the dead bodies, great (terrible) but great detail to include.

Also, G venting his frustration on the tree. Very believeable. I wish he'd be a bit more open to listening to K give him advice (bc he'd certainly expect her to follow his advice) but this is very true to his character, and as he's used to the head male, very realistic, so I loved it.

I also like that you included K "surprised at how authoritative" she sounded when talking to Thom's family. I think that's a true testament to your writing skills as K could be seen as the weak link here, while her mom, G, Prim, and even Hazelle don't turn away from anything, and with this detail, this interaction, you let K shine even though all that blood and stuff gets to her, so I'm so glad you included it.

And then you hit a home run with K's character for how she interacts with G at the end. Suggesting he sleep, their tiny fight about it, understanding, and then getting the kids to get him a new shirt and to eat, and then taking that saw to clean it for him, so so well done. great job.
CGreene chapter 3 . 3/7
Ahh, the "I wonder if-" and K not wanting to know! Again, a great little detail that speaks volumes about their characters and how their minds work in these types of situations. So good!

Also, well done handling their "I'd rather you didn't" argument, both from initial remark to passing the honey, to the dishes, and final understanding. "They both know okay means all those things anyway" - ahhh, so good!

And, you also introduce Haymitch really well. I love how he helps and cares but also doesn't really, and I love his comment about "that desperate for a drink" and "I do you really think I need the money?" So good and well done to convey his character.

Ohh, and the washing of the saw in the sink - the perfect detail to capture that gruesome scene.
CGreene chapter 2 . 3/7
I love a few of K's quips here, "he's a heartbreaker"; "Gale's the resident expect". I also like how you pair K feeling helpless to G's anger, I think that's a good crux for their dynamic. Again, massive love for Mama Hawthorne, you do her so well here, I'm just in love.
CGreene chapter 1 . 3/7
I am so excited I just discovered this story I don't know how I didn't come across it before. I too did the prompting everthorne on tumblr and found it that way, and boy, am I glad I did. I can't tell you how much I loved this. I read the whole thing through in one sitting and now I'll try and go back and tell you all that I loved along the way (because there is just so much!)

I love the set up here, how you get their circumstances and Kantiss's character across so quickly, bravo. That's not easy to do, and you're opening impressively shows G&K needs/ situation and K's mind as she considers how to reveal her & G's relationship and what she thinks about it. Greatly done.

I also really like how you get Tia and Gale's character, neither of them are perfect, but both of them are so perfectly teenager. I feel a little bad for Tia (in the sense I see where she's coming from), and I kind of cringe when Gale says "I thought we were on the same page" (but I cringe in a good way god, when someone has to say that to someone who's on a different page), but the whole thing is so well done and so well written, so true to life. Again, immense bravo on that.

A few little things I like - Tia slapping Gale, K says "amusing in retrospect," Gale's bread/peace offering.

Also, I fucking love Hazelle. You get her perfect, so perfect, and right off the bat here, the way she addresses Gale is phenomenal. I loled at the "not conducting himself like a gentleman" line, and love K's rebuke too. And the best, "If you'd kept your pants on..." so so so good.

Finally, I just love how well you introduce your version of this world and these characters. You say so much about who your K, G, and Hazelle are in this scene, it's a truly great set up. And, I love how you keep them teenagers here with teenagery problems even in their hellish world. It's so believable and so well done. Again, bravo!
Divergentstar85 chapter 18 . 2/25
You should have Katniss get a boyfriend, so Gale will understand Katniss's view.
wtff-stfuu chapter 18 . 2/25
This is one of the best stories I've read on Kale! I ADORE ITTTT :'D
Please continue! It's so well written & not OC at all. You're great!

xo.
Nikkette chapter 18 . 2/24
You have NO idea how much I've been hoping for an update! So I'm just going to say it: I'm so glad you updated :D

This is probably my absolute favorite Galeniss fanfic on this entire site. No lie. And judging from this chapter and the last, things are going to get really interesting. I only hope that you stick with this long enough for us to find out.

Again, THANK you for gracing us with another chapter, and I hope to (eventually) read another! :)
ShortySC22 chapter 18 . 2/24
Oh wow, another cliffhanger! I can't wait to see what the peacekeepers have to say. I love how you wrote the argument between Hazelle and Gale and then Katniss's attempts to awkwardly comfort both Gale and Hazelle. This chapter was amazing and I can't wait for more.
FortuneFaded2012 chapter 18 . 2/24
Great to see this continued! Awesome job with the fight.
Mooglez chapter 18 . 2/24
OMG You're back! And with one of the best chapters ever for the best Galeness story ever! Rebellion meetings? Peacekeeper problems? So perfect. And there was even heaps of Hazelle character development. I'm so excited; I even had to put off reading it until the right moment. :D
Tess chapter 18 . 2/23
Pleaseeee update more. This is so good
Rose chapter 18 . 2/23
OMG! You cant just do that to us! Weve been waiting an update for so long and now this? How am I supossed to deal with this anxiety!? The peacekeepers are standing outside! Please please PLEASE UPDATE ASAP!
By the way, the discussion between Gale and Hazelle was amazing!
Heslen chapter 18 . 2/23
OMG YOU UPDATED! That makes me astonishingly happy. Like, I saw the email in the middle of class, and I nearly screamed. This is a HUGE deal. Do not disappear again, I thought it would never happen. Anyway.
This was an incredible chapter, I absolutely loved it. I think you nailed Hazelle and Katniss's reactions to Gale, and of course the ending of the chapter was great.
Lots of love to you. Update as soon as you can. Although, no rush. Keep the quality as good as it is now. 3 3 3
522 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 13 .. Last Next »