Reviews for Rain
greatestheights chapter 1 . 2/19
So, not to totally blow-up your inbox with PMs and reviews, but...

I had to come back to this one after I read it yesterday. I thought about it all night. My favorite part about your writing is how detailed and immersive it is. I get completely drawn into the setting and the characters' heads and forget that this isn't real life. I can't imagine eleven-year-old Josh any way other than how you've written him here. The rain was such a clever and heartbreaking motif throughout the story.
Arpad Hrunta chapter 1 . 3/13/2013
Good story, of course. I like the substitute teacher's use of Elvis as an ethical example.

I always like little period touches like casual and ubiquitous smoking and the Draft lottery with its high and low numbers. Too many people forget things like that from the recent past.

I also liked the distinction you drew between This Donna and That Donna. Very apt.
Frankincense Pontipee chapter 1 . 11/1/2012
I really, really liked this. Ah, lunch time Josh and Donna procrastination!
Gillian Deverone chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Well, after I slit my own wrists from the depression, I was very glad to see they found each other. (I really hope she didn't sleep with him that night after having just been with Colin.)

Your stories are always well thought out and poignant. Good job.
Veridissima chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
Great story
Really made me cry
Poor Josh
sassie69 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
I absolutely love the flashbacks of Josh as a child after his sister's death using the rain then and now to escape his feelings. Wonderful story.
alix33 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
I liked Colin and found him good-looking, though seeing him and Donna together on screen (or in mental pics brought on by reading fics) creeped me out majorly.
The substitute teacher in Josh's class made me think of Toby and Sam and Stanley and president Bartlet too, all a bit.
No wonder Josh ran out of the class after that ethical question.
"riding the new bike she'd been so proud of, ten speeds with handbrakes and a derailleur." - I had to Google to learn what a "derailleur" is. I never ever learned to ride a bicycle without training wheels myself because of balance problems because of a congenital defect with my Achilles tendons that was operated on and corrected too late.
"There's a flash of lightening and a rumble of thunder from outside." - "flash of lightning".
lcf328 chapter 1 . 10/22/2012