Reviews for Back to the future, a true story
Sara chapter 1 . 12/27/2012
The stories are intrinsically linked. Eli Attie (the main developer of the santos storyline) and Obama campaign manager David Axelrod worked together before the west wing series and Obama were even in the public eye. The character of Santos WAS based on a firey member of the Illinois state senate who was planning to run for the US Senate. Slate did a great piece on this: video/life-imitates-the-west-wing/
sassie69 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Interesting
toms2002 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
I wasn't aware of that fact. It's interesting that somethings the writers couldn't have thought would come true 2 years later like: President Obama chose his rival (although primaries instead of the general election) as Secretary of State; his opponent in the general election would be a moderate Republican (Sen. McCain) that would choose a big conservative but controversial Vice President (Gov. Palin).

I had enough trouble coming with all the connections even though I had the benefit of history. :-)
alix33 chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
The West Wing writes DID in fact base Matt Santos off of Barack Obama, if this story in the New York Times is true: