Reviews for Unto My Dying Breath
Gwen Eruanna chapter 1 . 3/23/2013
This is—so sad, and yet so beautiful. There's such a sense of finality, and yet of expectation and eternal bliss. Such a thoughtful piece. I'll be thinking about it all day.
A Vulcan's Kiss chapter 1 . 3/3/2013
I...

I love this!

I really did enjoy reading this, it was magnificent! Incredibly well written, everything was just fab :)
Guest chapter 1 . 12/29/2012
I just re-watched The Two Towers, and I distinctly remember an elf jumping/falling from the Deep during the battle, and I definitely heard his cry and noted it as strange. It didn't seem very elf-like for an elf to cry out in fright/pain, which is what I kind of assumed the noise was meant to be. I will never see that scene the same way after having read this! Your version makes a whole lot more sense! :)

I love the tone in this one. It's so solemn, and still full of movement. This story seems like a convergence of a bunch of different potential emotions, and I think you brought them together beautifully! There are many other emotions that I imagine one could have included in this instance but I'm very glad you left them out (ie despair, trance-like coldness, crazy-martyr-battle-high, etc) - they just don't seem appropriate. The result here is dignified but not stuffy, uplifting but not glaringly so. I love the present tense (though I suppose it couldn't have been anything else) and I love the cultural notes you make. "I will never again see Anor raise her fiery head above the horizon, nor will I lay eyes upon Caras Galadhon, nor the golden Mallorn." That's a very powerful line, such wonderful cultural characterization! And the mentions of living in the eternal twilight of evil, and back when the Noon of Valinor was not yet spent, the numbness in the fighter's hands, and the mention of the Deeping Wall all show that you care enough about your writing to have done research on cultures/places and the reality of battle (ha ha, reality). This is a powerful little piece!

-Crookneck
CersiFinallyGotWhatSheDeserved chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
Very good.
Mirnava chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Wow. I would have never thought of something like that. But in all honesty, the whole thing makes sense. You never cease to amaze me with your imaginatively genius mind, mellon nin. :)
LalaithElerrina chapter 1 . 10/23/2012
Oh. My. Gosh. What a marvelous story. I love how you've written this from the perspective of one of the elves who died. It's so tragic, yet so beautiful, and there's a touch of hope too, at least for me. He goes to Mandos with the others that died.