Reviews for The Star Empire: The Succession of Magic
StarEmpirical chapter 1 . 3/11
I don't have an account but I wanted to let you know that I've been reading this since day one. Back when all the dirty filthy sexy and brutal was the side focus. After you brought the Star Empire back from the dead I was overjoyed because it filled this little hole in me that needed dark, violent, messy, complicated and keep you guessing black scifi. I personally think this story is absolute dynamite. I dearly hope that you decide to continue it. It hits me right in that place that only two of your scifi friends understand, and in my case? Those are the two people I convinced to read and love this. If you continue this from the current cliffhanger I will still be reading.
RadicalTurnip chapter 65 . 1/20
I just got caught up on this story and it was a fun read. Many things about your Sci-Fi seem vanilla, but there are enough interesting hints flavor that it kept me wondering and excited about the world. Harry's actions seem mostly internally consistent, although some of the monsterous parts seem a little forced. Overall, I really enjoyed the read and will probably be slowly combing my way through your other fan fics that I understand.
spanky1426 chapter 65 . 1/19
Just wanted to know if ur going to update this story again I liked reading it
DeathStalksMe chapter 4 . 12/10/2014
Obama is an asshole. He needs to stop taking vacations so much and do his damn job.
Marvinen chapter 65 . 11/21/2014
Excellent stuff. Deeply disturbing. Reminds me of Piers Anthony's Tyrant series, Jupiter and all.
frag2k13 chapter 3 . 8/15/2014
Good stuff here, like the concept and no issues i noticed on grammar/spelling etc, in regards to the darker version, have you concidered Archieve of our own or AFF?
moosejuice5 chapter 13 . 7/27/2014
Very nice so far, but have you considered posting the unedited version with the very dark and sexual content on anouther sight like adultfanfiction, I'd love to read it
Guest chapter 38 . 7/1/2014
this harry is getting more stupid. im out
Guest chapter 33 . 7/1/2014
hmm.. this harry is pretty weak considering how he suffered from his previous life. i thought he would be more cautious with everything..
Guest chapter 24 . 6/3/2014
lol. out of all your stories, only one of it is completed. hmm..
Guest chapter 1 . 6/3/2014
i know this is not completed but i hope this is not slash.. nothing against them but i just prefer reading stories that aren't,,
PrometheusII chapter 65 . 6/2/2014
Hopefully, you will find time to continue this amazing story!
I would like to make some comments.
Firstly, the positive:
Your version of combining magic and science-fiction infinitely superior to other such attempts on this side. Magic is combined with technology - and still does not get boring. Some similiar attempts exist where magic gets so technical that it loses is, well "magic" (mystery). You manage it perfectly. In addition, the story hosts a set of interesting characters that each undergo personal development and growth. There is not only action, but also tactics, human interaction, leadership, friendship, tension, etc. Perfect!
Secondly, the less positive:
Your story features some very dark aspects which are treated in an unbalanced way in my opinion.
Harry literally kills millions (millions!) of people and does not really care. Even him being utilitaristic and merely self-interested can not justify this, and his past cannot, either: the scale is so unprecedented - and you merely gloss over it?!
On the other hand, what you do not gloss over are the rape scenes etc. I understand. Terror is much more difficult to convey to the reader in dealing with abstract numbers, there has to be personal emotion, suffering, torture, whatever. But this should just be a technique of the writer (who knows, what the REAL issues are: genocide etc..) of maybe an aspect of subjective writing. But, like with other stories on this site, I fear that the inclusion of sex just messes things up. Many good stories contain sex - why not? - but here it overshadows the real issues! Many m ore readers (as Harry himself) are more concerned with him being raped (and liking it..) etc than with the ethically much, infinitely much more troubling issues. I do not complain about the darkness - even the rape scenes etc make sense and contribute to the story, but actually making it appear as if this matters more than the killing of millions (on Earth and Callisto) is just weird. The necessities of war etc, pc, of course, but still! This should matter more! Even Selner, the supposed voice of reason and ethics cares more about Harry's treatment of individuals than about the large scale. Who the f*** cares? Even Hitler was nice to some people - does it make him any better? No!

One last aspect: Harry's motivation: to unify half of the solar system to go to war against earth just to get 1/2 of his magic back (and we as the readers do not really know how much of a difference this would effectively make) is just crazy. Nearly as crazy as some people in the story that Harry "just wants to be left alone." This is a clichee about him in fanfiction - but his actions state the f***** opposite! He is incredibly egocentric.

Nevertheless - your story is absolutely amazing and I hope that you will continue it!

Cheers and greetings from Germany,
Frank
StrengthAndHonour chapter 4 . 4/11/2014
Is there a way of reading the uncensored version? It's a bit boring, when you're reading an M fic with little or no M bits... :( fantastique tale tho
Lord Sigfry chapter 55 . 4/7/2014
Lol that ending sentence is funny.
Guest chapter 65 . 3/18/2014
After watching black sails, I really wanted to read more of this story. This is an excellent example of pirate themed literature. I like the part where stuff happens and then more stuff after that please continue to make stuff happen.