Reviews for Brightest Darkness
DawnAngel14 chapter 1 . 11/13/2012
Wow, that was really deep. Shion's my favorite character, and this was really great to read! Amazing story! :D
James Birdsong chapter 1 . 10/25/2012
Nice
The Minister of Silly Walks chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
This little oneshot moved me and it's something you should be proud of. Not only can I not find a single mistake or anything that needs improvement, it's also one of the deepest things I've read from you. I don't know if you meant for it to be as deep as I perceive it now because this fic would be good enough as nothing more than a short story of Shion almost drowning. For, as usual-and I know I say this a lot but it impresses me every time you pull this off-you are able to put me inside the head of the character like no other author I know, professional or otherwise. Please don't discredit that as me simply being nice because I could really feel the utter chaos, helplessness, and hopelessness Shion is experiencing and it was powerful.

"Did I move my arm? Were my fingers flexing? Were my eyes open, or closed? What about my surroundings? Was it Summer? Was I inside, or outside? Was I alone? Were the birds chirping? Music playing? The cicadas crying?"

This whole section made me feel a little bit numb. I could imagine being surrounded by freezing cold, black water and feeling my thoughts and my senses slowly shut down. But while I think this is the best example thus far of how you are able to capture us readers in the mind of your characters, the message I -THINK- you were trying to share here is what really won me over on this one-shot.

To me, this is symbolic of the times in our lives when we're scarping the bottom. We've all been there. Times when it just feels easier to stop struggling and let the water take you under. And the observation you made with this fic that's so wonderful to me is that Shion can't seem to remember ANYTHING about life above the cold, dark water. That shows how in times of great suffering, even if they don't last long, we tend to forget all the good stuff that's happened and the things about your life that are worth putting up a fight for. I think that's the mistake a lot of people who end up taking their own lives make. They forget all the good stuff in their lives and it's like those happy memories aren't even accessible to them anymore. All they can focus on is how great it would be to just close your eyes and slip away to escape all the things that cause them stress.

And then the ending...oh the ending 3 It was so hopeful! And you know how I feel about stories dealing with hope :'D Yeah, it hurt for Shion to get pulled out of that water and into safety. Her nerves were waking up again, so she could feel the pain again. It reminded me that the road to a better place isn't always paved with fluff and stuff-and in fact, often times that road sucks and hurts like a bitch. It'd be easier to just give up. But Shion doesn't lose sight of her brightest darkness and it gives her the motivation to open her eyes and start back up again. And then you ended the fic perfectly with "I'm alive."

This fic is better than some of the stuff my Literature Teachers used to make me read in my text books. It's profound yet I feel it's subtle too. Again, I don't know if you meant for it to send the message I'm picking up, but regardless it's a deeply moving piece of writing. Be proud of this one.