Reviews for Variant Strain
SteelBlackwing chapter 74 . 6/11
I considered this one of my favorite fanfictions ever made, back when I first read this. There have been other fanfictions that I liked less, but despite that, I've re-read those, some of them multiple times, but not this one. Not until now. I think I didn't want to go back into this and learn that one of my favorite stories ever wasn't as good as I remembered it was.
I was somewhat correct, but mostly wrong.
This story is fantastic. It's one of the best fanfictions on this site, right up there with the Son of Suns trilogy. The fusion of the worlds of Prototype and Spider-man is fantastic, in both history and tone. You nailed an incredible mix of both of them, making a crazy new world that feels both like its parents and something entirely new, and while the tone is very dark, it's also not so dark as to not make the reader care about the story, as with Prototype's in-game story. It's a beautiful mix of what made Prototype Prototype, but also what made Spider-Man Spider-Man.
However, the story could use a good, thorough edit. There are quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes that could be easily cleaned up to make this story that much better. It'd be a very large undertaking, certainly, but it would help the quality out a lot.
The other thing is that the ending is really sudden. The pace of the story is fantastic, an incredible, frenetic roller coaster ride that doesn't let up at all. However, it feels like the explosive climax of an ending just kind of...cuts off, as soon as Peter completes his final directive. It seems on purpose, but getting some closure on the other characters would have been incredibly helpful. This story ends well, but it also ends feeling like an epilogue is supposed to be there, and it isn't. It's like a bullet to the head right as you reach your destination: you got there, but you won't get to see any of it. Peter never got to say goodbye, he never got to explain anything to his family, but it didn't feel like he was pushing for the heroic sacrifice angle when he and his family separated, as well as his other selves.
Those are the only real gripes I have with your story, and despite that, it's still fantastic all the way through, and should be venerated among the best fanfictions ever produced. Thank you for writing this story.
BlackStarMage chapter 75 . 2/16
is... is this it? no epilogue? No after action report for MJ or Aunt May? God damnit this was a fantastic read, but I need more!
Maelaeran chapter 63 . 2/12
Carnage and Spidey is the buddy-cop movie I never knew I needed. Great stuff!
Maelaeran chapter 58 . 2/12
I'm all about the final boss being Supreme Hunter JJJ, even though it looks like Osborn will be taking that particular title.

Or perhaps Kingpin will make an appearance?
Maelaeran chapter 27 . 2/11
The amount of misunderstandings MJ is projecting onto Peter is quickly reaching Youjo Senki and Overlord levels. But where those series and situations would be comedic, here it's just incredibly sad.

Excellent work on the psychological horror and holy crap do I feel bad for Peter and MJ.
Maelaeran chapter 5 . 2/8
Peter was an excellent choice to replace Alex Mercer in terms of really selling the body horror aspect of Prototype. Kudos!
Guest chapter 75 . 11/25/2021
Having read the Spider-Friends thread at Spacebattles, I present the following continuation:

As Peter finished speaking, a strange disturbance formed near him.

-"SAVETHEDAY!"

*thwip*

Peter was grabbed by a strand of synthetic webbing, and pulled through what turned out to be an interdimensional portal. He was then unceremoniously deposited in a room filled with himself. Sort of. Most of these people looked like him wearing strange costumes, but there was a Japanese girl, a black boy, a pig for some reason, and Gwen Stacy. And it was she who made introductions:

"To begin, you're not dreaming or hallucinating, and as we explained to Spideypool, we're not the voices in your head. You're not even the strangest one. We're all Spiders here, and welcome to the Spiderverse."
Greenmatsui chapter 61 . 8/6/2021
Damn I am eating the best battered chicken I’ve had in my life and reading this has only 8ncreased my I ever meet a ROB being a incarnation of the black light virus will be on my list.
Darth Lazy chapter 75 . 6/4/2021
so is peter dead?
TheUnknowableOne chapter 75 . 5/31/2021
That was a helluva ending. Words cannot fully express how this journey felt. And HOT DAMN do I want to where Peter sent himself and what he did next.
Damobea chapter 75 . 4/13/2021
Thank you for the story. Was great, but wish for a farewell from the rest of the cast.
NaniteSystems chapter 75 . 4/12/2021
Very nice. Awesome work :)
Guest chapter 75 . 4/3/2021
Incredible. I can't believe it. A story on this site that has a beginning and an end. I would have loved an addendum covering the other characters we've grown to love but I guess this is it. Good stuff.
lamontreharrison11 chapter 75 . 3/17/2021
Holy shit. That was One of the best stories I have ever read.
nad4.35 chapter 75 . 12/6/2020
noooo it finished. darn it to heck. this story was confusing exhilarating amazing emotional crazy and an absolute pleasure to read.
dude(ette) I hope you've kept writing whether original works or fanfics. I'm going to see if any others tickle my fancy.
all the best!