Reviews for Airship Down and the Mountains of Madness
Acastus chapter 30 . 3/21
Awesome story, really enjoyed it, thanks. Both Sokka and Azula are deliciously in character. If I can hear the voice actors in my head as I read the dialog I know the author has nailed it. Well done.

Before this story I'd never read any Lovecraft. Thanks to you I am now plowing through and enjoying it immensely. I like your adaptation and will have some additional comments on this with your sequel.

You admirably resist getting Sokka and Azula too involved too early, waiting, in fact until the sequel. That shows discipline and restraint, qualities all too rare in the overwhelming majority of fanfic authors. Azula's goodbye here was perfect, as was Sokka's reaction.

Now, here comes the left handed compliment. I have to say that the story was so good I even got over the implausibility of the premise. Why was the airship getting tested at the south pole? How did Sokka miraculously survive the fall? Of course the only answer to these questions is because if these things didn't happen we wouldn't have the story! We wouldn't get Sokka and Azula isolated somewhere cold where they have to snuggle up fast! But hey, all is forgiven when the rest is this good.
PrimusNobility chapter 1 . 2/6
Simply brilliant
DragonTurtle3 chapter 31 . 1/31
I'm really curious as to how the experience in your story will sync up with the fantastic mental breakdown in the original series. The part where she's less concerned with vengeance and reclamation of her glory, and moreso with fading into irrelevance for the sake of humanity, shows a lot of promise.

Have you read "The Search?" Will you be including any elements from it?
DragonTurtle3 chapter 30 . 1/31
I've never heard of Jack London. What elements of this story come from him?
DragonTurtle3 chapter 26 . 1/31
It seems to me that revelations like the history of the Old Ones isn't nearly as traumatizing when one is already well acquainted with the truth that humanity, and everything we've done and hold, gestated out of a proteobacteria.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 25 . 1/31
I wonder if Azula's lack of firebending has anything to do with her mind link (with what I'm guessing was a Shoggoth). Not that these things are somehow magically blocking it, but in how bending seems tied to mentality. It's like when Zuko went into a healing coma in Ba Sing Se, or lost his firebending when he abandoned the Fire Nation and joined Aang.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 15 . 1/31
Coming from Azula, and knowing what she does concerning 'her way,' that last parted sounded like more of a threat than a promise.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 11 . 1/31
What very impressive detail is the reference to "polar dogs." That species only showed up ONCE, in "The Boy in the Iceberg." A mistake that could have easily been made, which I wouldn't have jumped on too much, was referencing a "polar bear dog" as a work animal. Korra was the first one in recorded history to ever domesticate one. Good researching on your part.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 8 . 1/31
That ending gives an a great opportunity for these two to bond. Azula's sense of humor is... dark, to say the least. As things get worse and worse, Sokka's jokes will get meaner and meaner, but that will make it easier for these two to form a connection.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 6 . 1/31
"'Oh, please don't leave,' she said, holding her the back of her hand to her forehead."

I'm a bit confused. What that first part suppose to be sarcasm or something? I'd imagine it would, given that Azula has a sharp wit, and that the rest of the paragraph is her saying she'll be fine. But there isn't any transition or narration indicating such. Also, the first "her" isn't needed.
DragonTurtle3 chapter 4 . 1/31
"Sleepiness was now was the only thing she could feel."

You probably want to get rid of that second "was."
Fanwright chapter 30 . 11/29/2014
That. Was. AWESOME!
Fanwright chapter 27 . 11/29/2014
I need to book mark this chapter somehow. This was some good dialogue! I'm loathe to keep this review extremely short as I really want to see the end of this story (a good thing!) but I also don't want to spoil it for anyone who might read it.

I will say this: you did a fantastic job of showing where these two stand in terms of beliefs and ideology. They are two different people with same traits, both of them the brains of their respective groups and all. Even in defeat, Sokka still knows he has friends to back up and back him up. After all this is only after fall of Ba Sing Se. Yet, he still has some spirit left to fight back. Azula should have shot him down at many points during their talk, but it all went down a personal path in which Azula could not truly have a defense for. Maybe I just like her type of character to be taken down a peg from time to time, but not always. This scene, however, was great as it ties into more of Azula's disturbing revelations.

I won't say more. It was nice to see them together without being in some sort of danger for a change.

Good Stuff!
Fanwright chapter 26 . 11/29/2014
Whew! They're finally out! Now… now they'll have to contend with each other again and given what Azula now knows the shared space will be awkward and difficult.

Talk about after shock… its seems both of them have come out of that place knowing too much, far too much. For Azula it seems she has just unlocked the secrets of the world around her and regrets such knowledge. For Sokka, he seems indifferent about it all. I guess in his case he always suspected he was just this small speck in a hostile, winter world on a mud ball floating through the vastness of space. He goes on about how the universe hates him, but there is an acknowledgment in that, one where he recognizes there are forces in the world larger than him and adapts to it. I guess its just different ways of growing up, based on his dialogue in the tent. How he can stop whats under the mountain though… well, thats a different story.

Azula on the other hand… oh boy. A punch in the gut to what she has found out is an understatement. Having brought up all her life thinking she was destined for greatness out of fear for being forgotten or unloved in some way… its a huge shock for her. Here she is, conqueror of Ba Sing Se, slayer of the avatar, next in line for the throne of a vast empire, ender of a war… all that doesn't matter and pales in comparison as she reaches to same conclusion as Sokka. I don't think she can ever go back the Fire Nation the same person after this ordeal, none of them will. If anything, she'll act out the same way she did with Sokka in a worst case scenario.

God knows how things will continue from here, but at least she got her bending back. I wonder if Sokka's answer to her realization was just a way get her angry so she could bend fire again… wait, I think was. Well shoot.
Fanwright chapter 22 . 11/29/2014
Oh crap.

All I can say is where the hell was Sokka when all this happened!? Now that thing got a hold of her and… infected her with thoughts, hidden images, and knowledge, probing her and… ugh! So now she is possessed with… something. She may been able to burn all off her, but now she can't seem to fire bend anymore.

I don't know if its Azula's higher status or connection with bending, but I don't think those things want her for… whatever it is they're trying to do. They may just find an easier target than anything, seeing how she has such fragile mind at this point. That thing may have gotten to her through her wound and now she is just a twig away from snapping. Stuff is about hit the fan hard with her.

Sokka seems more physically tired than anything at this point. He's not deteriorating at the same as Azula, but its whittling him down. He needs to find a way out and fast. Those things will back before long.

Commenting on Ch. 20… great job! Definitely a highlight and small climax before the main one. The transition in personalities was well done and allows us to see just how similar these two actually are. Sokka's cold, serious demeanor, combined with his intention to leave her there in the cave, worked very well against Azula's constant challenges. That she finally got the hint that he wasn't playing games and was practically begging him to come back and carry her was also well done and showed us that even people like Azula knows they've taken things too far when pushing people.

Good Stuff!