Reviews for Settlement
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 12/26/2013
I'm really impressed with how much depth and character you gave Rodmilla here. And as a huge Les Mis fan, I loved your choice for her maiden name - such a nice touch. Wonderful work!
What'sItToYa chapter 1 . 4/14/2013
Fantastic story, I loved the back-story and insight you give us for Rodmilla!

I do have to point out, though, that your timeline for when the movie takes place is wildly off. I agree that the Brothers Grimm portion of the film takes place in the early 1800s, due to the fashion and remarks made by the hostess. However, Danielle's story clearly takes place in the early 1500s (there's just debate on when exactly it would have been, since the movie presents more than one historical hiccup).
Clio1792 chapter 1 . 1/27/2013
The characterization in this piece is terrific-flawless and fantastic, You've written them both very believably, and the Baroness's reaction to Danielle's father-a bird she's just never seen before, someone whos is actually emotionally plugged in-is flawless.

But I would like to take the liberty of querying the dating if you are working off the movie. Henri II died in 1559; Utopia, the book Danielle's father brings her in the movie, was published in 1516 (same year as Erasmus's translation of the New Testament). Pierre de Ghent would have been more likely to have been killed in Francis I's wars to conquer Italy, which began with the occupation of the Duchy of Milan in the 1490s...

There's about a generation missing in the representation of "la veille" played by Jean Moreau...but that's the fault of the scriptwriters, not the author...but it has thrown the dating off a bit, I think?

again, the characterization in this was terrific.

M. L. Zhang chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
Very well written! I have never really given Rodmilla's backstory much thought (because she was so mean and uncaring). But this sounds perfectly plausible and could explain her character more thoroughly. Well done!
Xi Fang chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
I loved this.

Plain and simple. I do not get the chance to review very often since I read fan fiction constantly on my mobile.

You had won me over by the end bit then the AN - that really took my breath away.

Thank you for writing this.
JingYee chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
Great job! As unpleasant as Rodmilla is in the movie, I also felt her life must have been pretty tragic. I'm really glad you wrote this. :)
rainpaint chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Yep, I have a soft spot in my heart for the baroness too - because of the very exchange that you quote at the beginning of the story.

I really liked the conversation between the baroness and Danielle's father and the fact that they talked for an hour. Even though her father is only in the movie for a few minutes, I think you've captured his character very well - warmth, sincerity, and of course his love for Danielle. And I really liked the focus on his eyes.

The only thing is that this story would have had to have taken place /much/ earlier because of the inclusion of Leonardo da Vinci. Wikipedia says he lived from 1452-1519. But then the movie itself messed up with timelines because apparently da Vinci painted the Mona Lisa sometime between 1503-1506 but Utopia ("The prince has read Utopia!") was published in 1516, sooo...