Reviews for Omissions
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 1 . 9/18/2015
Oooh, very nicely, very gently done! The style of embedding the dialogue in the paragraphs works well. There's a subtle hurt, a dissociation, which is very in keeping with Mary's coping mechanisms. It made me ache to read it. Bravo!
darkblueyank chapter 1 . 6/24/2013
Hi there. Iliked this story and the portrayal of the relationships between the men and women and between the women and women. In defense of Matthew, I have to say that his first reaction to Mary's revealing of the fact that she had surgery was shock and concern and she declined to discuss it further. That he did not keep pressing her on this could be taken as a sign of little concern, or that he respects her right to privacy. It'sinteresting that some reviewers see it one way and some the other. Personally, I see it as respecting her request not to discuss it, maybe because I hate it when someone, anyone, pushes me to discussnsomething that I am not ready to reveal.
PS Medically, is there basis in fact for rough intercourse to cause vaginal scarring that would cause infertility?
fanaticdA chapter 1 . 12/4/2012
AnniellaEyes chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
'You see, all they tell us, really, is that it's going to hurt at first. So, at the time, I just assumed...'

:( Aww, my poor, darling girl.

This was beautifully written, I love the premise and I love the strength you have given to Mary, their relationship and the future of the Crawley dynasty if they can be open and talk about these things.

Great work, thank you for sharing :D
virtualclutter chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
Really loved this fic and the way it explores this wall of silence that we sometimes see between the male and female spheres in DA. While I didn't feel cross with Matthew for not pushing Mary to explain in the tearoom I did wonder whether they'd talk about it later. Something in his expression seemed to suggest that it wasn't forgotten, and seeing how loved up they were at the Cricket match also seemed to indicate that something had changed.
Lola chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
Ah, I love that you have Mary as the one wanting to discuss it later after she's gotten used to Matthew knowing. The exploration of why she kept it from him and Cora's advice was very well done. Thanks for sharing!
thorteso chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
Wow, a great look at Mary's emotions. She is somehow stuck between an old world where she is made to believe this is all shameful and a husband who loves her and wants to know. Hopefully new is better :)

Thanks for writing!
EOlivet chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
Such an original style, I love it - starting at the end, and progressing from the beginning really works. :) The lack of quotation marks gives the story a surreal feeling, which is very effective. I really love Mary's quiet strength here - how she wants to call for Matthew to come afterwards, sigh. And the ending convo is stunning in its power and simplicity (and I think you're right about the reason for her operation.) Wonderful - keep writing! :)
Eviedee chapter 1 . 11/6/2012
Mary and Matthew will sort it out - they always do..
WhiteCamellia chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Beautifully written chapter. Great job!
circa1910 chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
How very delicate. I think that you have a very good grasp of the times. Some things were never discussed directly. Cora's advice is very wise. My grandmother was of the same era as Mary. When you learned you were pregnant you didn't just blurt it out at the next family dinner. You told your mother who told your father. His response would be something like "Your mother has told me your news." An operation for female "troubles" was shrouded in mystery. This lack of "talk" (that might have informed other women about their bodies) resulted in a lot of girls in the next generation who didn't have a clue or so my mother tells me. Nowadays, people shout deeply personal things over their cell phones in public places.
Rosaline chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Hello! :)

Cora was quite something in this!

Just to clarify, in the programme Matthew started the conversation saying "This will buck you up", having no idea what she had gone through but still caring about her. Then he didn't ask the question at tea as he knew nothing about it at first, thinking it all his fault, then Mary didn't feel comfortable discussing it and he respected that.

But you could clearly see that he was worried and concerned, particularly when she mentioned surgery. But Mary brushed him off, smiling and saying she's fine, so that's all Matthew needed to hear at that moment. There was no need for more questions at that point really, especially if she didn't want to answer them. The last thing Mary wants is a prying Matthew and Matthew himself knows that that's the last thing she wants.

Overall there are some structural issues, the style of writing didn't always work (that may just be my opinion) but on the whole, not bad! :)

Poor Mary though. Cora wasn't making it easy for her (in this story).
emmawatsonfan1 chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
love IT!3 i wish you would continue this amazing story ! its all that can tide me over till the christmas special :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D FANGIRLING!
1life2ROCK chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
I really like this. I was bothered by Matthew's lack of reaction to Mary having surgery! I think you did a very good job of expressing Mary's thoughts and fears in a very Lady Mary like way. Also loved the Cora interaction in the story. Overall, very well written and very in-character.
daytonagirl chapter 1 . 11/5/2012
Eexellent! Well witten and probably pretty accurate for the times, actually I would say for any time. thanks for writing.