Reviews for Ascent II (Sequel to Ascent I)
StarryPenName chapter 55 . 12/9/2017
This is a wonderful story! The plot, the romance, everything is just ideal. In fact, this is now part of my personal canon (a universe in which I pick and choose what parts of canon and what parts of fanon I like and implement them in my [personal] stories) and I am very glad this has three parts. Data and Lore are two of my favorite characters because of their character arcs, especially Data (because Lore, sadly, did not get all too much screen time.) And really, this fulfilled every need I have in regard to the story arcs of those two androids, especially Lore.
Although this story is awesome and is worth reading many times over, your grammar and spelling could use a little work - perhaps an editor? But that's not necessary, you could always just look over the spelling and grammar a little bit! I think in the first installment you made more errors so this one doesn't really require many modifications.
Guest chapter 42 . 2/27/2017
I just caught it! Lol Logan and Louise... Bob's Burgers. I guess they are meant to be afterall huh?
Just 2 Dream of You chapter 28 . 4/5/2016
I freaking love this so damn much gjnsrkjfgnakjENF,
Agest1 chapter 50 . 3/9/2016
I have NEVER felt as much suspense as when reading this. Seriously, I think my heart stopped a few times.
QueenNaberrie chapter 55 . 9/2/2015
Awesome story. The angnst & the final forgiveness Lore received played out at just the right speed. I was kind of skeptical of reading the first of the 3 stories because it was about Lore. But Lore has become such a sweetheart. But don't let HIM know I said that. Hee Hee ;) ;) I guess Maddox at least did one thing right when he gave Lore a conscience. Too bad he can't give himself one. Ohhh. Did I say that? ;) ;) Seriously, though, I'm really enjoying these stories & can't wait to find out if they are able to help Data to truly come back to the land of the living. :) Reading on...
ClockworkScales chapter 41 . 11/19/2014
Okay, I have to post something about the last few chapters.

I've loved the story up to the point where Lore is visiting Anna's family. It is painful to read, and I find it incredibly hard to believe that Lore would so willingly put up with Anna's family, even for her sake. He's not social, he's reclusive, so to see him meld with the family with such ease just doesn't seem right to me. The last few chapters have felt like a bad christmas special.

I don't want to be harsh (though I kinda do). I am incredibly baffled that the story went from making sense to making absolutely zero sense. I only hope the characters start acting like themselves again soon.

Sorry, just my opinion of course so feel free to ignore it, but these chapters just feel really out of place in context of the rest of the story.
Guest chapter 24 . 2/9/2014
You must get a lot of high praise for your work, Ms. Gastrell, but I'd like to give you a little more: This is by far the best fanfic I've ever read; I'm probably never going to find another one as good as this one! I've always been a Soong-type android fan :) I love how this series gives Lore "another shot." It shows that people really can change. If only it were as easy as adding ethics to a person's brain, LOL ;)
Alan chapter 55 . 12/27/2013
This fanfic is just as much fun the second time around. Moving on to part 3 with excitement...
Guest chapter 55 . 9/8/2013
this is just too addictive! Really suspenseful it could stand against some of the better novels ive read. you truly are a literary genius. it is my uttmoat belief that id you were to write a real book it would be very successful.
Nats Foxine chapter 55 . 8/21/2013
Hmmm... You hate Maddox for sure! XD
Nice work. Like it.
Guest chapter 55 . 6/6/2013
Wow! This is one of the best FanFiction's I have ever read. The detail and character design is so amazing! I can't wait to read part three! part one and part two were excellent. Thank you so much for writing the story and PLEASE be sure to finish part III.
Daniel Handler chapter 1 . 3/5/2013
Wow... Sammich. I bet you're fun at parties (weddings in particular). To the author I would like to thank the author for taking the time to write such a great fan fiction.
Guest chapter 55 . 2/6/2013
Wow... wow... I am so happy I took the time to start Ascent I, its been two days since I started reading and I had a lot of trouble putting my pad down to go to sleep or actually doing work at work instead of reading this story. I finally finished at 12 last night and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed that you had only finished a few days ago.
I now have to wait some time before I can start reading more of this story. I would recommend it to anyone to get them into fanfiction as it is a great series of books you have written here.
I love the struggle between Data and Lore, both feeling betrayed and the fact that you actually have Lore not getting along with everyone suddenly just because he suddenly knew right from wrong. I loved that the main crew wasn't just suddenly buddy chum with Lore, that some characters just couldnt give him a chance while other built friendships with him. Particularly enjoyed Chrusher and Troi's reactions to him. I enjoyed the lack of tolerance, the use of crew gossip, the grudges from just about everyone who had ever heard the name Lore(and those against Seven) from from just about everyone in the Alpha Quadrant. Too many authors paint the federation as such an evolved more tolerant place and seem to forget that there has to still be violence, gossip, greed and mistrust in the universe they are are working in as there are humans.
I also feel the need to comment on the fact that I didn't hate Anna, in fact I kind of loved her. Something that surprises me as I am very on guard with original characters, too used to them turning into Mary Sue I suppose. I enjoy that back story on her, especially in II where things have not been so rosey for her since Lore has faked his own death.

I very much hope that you continue in Ascent III and look forward to many more stories. Thank you so much for such an enjoyable two days!
megumisakura chapter 55 . 1/24/2013
great story,im eager to read the third part!
Hamm Sammich chapter 55 . 1/19/2013
To clarify, since it obviously wasn't apparent from my other comments, it is NOT the fact that "man" and "wife" are gendered words that I object to. It is the fact that the word "man" is not equivalent to the word "wife." It is "man and woman" or "husband and wife." The phrase "man and wife" harkens back to the bad old days when a woman essentially became her husband's property upon marriage. She became "Mrs. John Doe" and her legal identity was completely subsumed into that of her husband's. Nowadays we generally like to think of women as people, hence why more and more heterosexual couples are requesting the phrase "husband and wife" be used when they marry. It has nothing to do with gender. It's about both parties being seen as equals.

And yes, it's little details like that that will put a bad taste in my mouth. And sometimes enough of them pile up and serve to ruin the entire dish for me, as you might say. I was able to more or less take them in stride in part one, though the attempted rape was a big strike against it I have to say. And now with part two being taken into account, I'm sorry to say that these little insidious details have piled up to the extent that yes, I'm having trouble enjoying the actual story and writing.

It is not my intention to start an argument or to turn the review page into a discussion board, and as I feel I've explained my initial objection adequately, this will be my last post. I do wish the author the best of luck with her future stories, it's just that it's unlikely I'll be following them.