Reviews for Ascent II (Sequel to Ascent I)
You must get a lot of high praise for your work, Ms. Gastrell, but I'd like to give you a little more: This is by far the best fanfic I've ever read; I'm probably never going to find another one as good as this one! I've always been a Soong-type android fan :) I love how this series gives Lore "another shot." It shows that people really can change. If only it were as easy as adding ethics to a person's brain, LOL ;)
Alan chapter 55 . 12/27/2013
This fanfic is just as much fun the second time around. Moving on to part 3 with excitement...
Guest chapter 55 . 9/8/2013
this is just too addictive! Really suspenseful it could stand against some of the better novels ive read. you truly are a literary genius. it is my uttmoat belief that id you were to write a real book it would be very successful.
DANKO aka Rekka Shinen chapter 55 . 8/21/2013
Hmmm... You hate Maddox for sure! XD
Nice work. Like it.
Guest chapter 55 . 6/6/2013
Wow! This is one of the best FanFiction's I have ever read. The detail and character design is so amazing! I can't wait to read part three! part one and part two were excellent. Thank you so much for writing the story and PLEASE be sure to finish part III.
Daniel Handler chapter 1 . 3/5/2013
Wow... Sammich. I bet you're fun at parties (weddings in particular). To the author I would like to thank the author for taking the time to write such a great fan fiction.
Guest chapter 55 . 2/6/2013
Wow... wow... I am so happy I took the time to start Ascent I, its been two days since I started reading and I had a lot of trouble putting my pad down to go to sleep or actually doing work at work instead of reading this story. I finally finished at 12 last night and I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed that you had only finished a few days ago.
I now have to wait some time before I can start reading more of this story. I would recommend it to anyone to get them into fanfiction as it is a great series of books you have written here.
I love the struggle between Data and Lore, both feeling betrayed and the fact that you actually have Lore not getting along with everyone suddenly just because he suddenly knew right from wrong. I loved that the main crew wasn't just suddenly buddy chum with Lore, that some characters just couldnt give him a chance while other built friendships with him. Particularly enjoyed Chrusher and Troi's reactions to him. I enjoyed the lack of tolerance, the use of crew gossip, the grudges from just about everyone who had ever heard the name Lore(and those against Seven) from from just about everyone in the Alpha Quadrant. Too many authors paint the federation as such an evolved more tolerant place and seem to forget that there has to still be violence, gossip, greed and mistrust in the universe they are are working in as there are humans.
I also feel the need to comment on the fact that I didn't hate Anna, in fact I kind of loved her. Something that surprises me as I am very on guard with original characters, too used to them turning into Mary Sue I suppose. I enjoy that back story on her, especially in II where things have not been so rosey for her since Lore has faked his own death.

I very much hope that you continue in Ascent III and look forward to many more stories. Thank you so much for such an enjoyable two days!
megumisakura chapter 55 . 1/24/2013
great story,im eager to read the third part!
Hamm Sammich chapter 55 . 1/19/2013
To clarify, since it obviously wasn't apparent from my other comments, it is NOT the fact that "man" and "wife" are gendered words that I object to. It is the fact that the word "man" is not equivalent to the word "wife." It is "man and woman" or "husband and wife." The phrase "man and wife" harkens back to the bad old days when a woman essentially became her husband's property upon marriage. She became "Mrs. John Doe" and her legal identity was completely subsumed into that of her husband's. Nowadays we generally like to think of women as people, hence why more and more heterosexual couples are requesting the phrase "husband and wife" be used when they marry. It has nothing to do with gender. It's about both parties being seen as equals.

And yes, it's little details like that that will put a bad taste in my mouth. And sometimes enough of them pile up and serve to ruin the entire dish for me, as you might say. I was able to more or less take them in stride in part one, though the attempted rape was a big strike against it I have to say. And now with part two being taken into account, I'm sorry to say that these little insidious details have piled up to the extent that yes, I'm having trouble enjoying the actual story and writing.

It is not my intention to start an argument or to turn the review page into a discussion board, and as I feel I've explained my initial objection adequately, this will be my last post. I do wish the author the best of luck with her future stories, it's just that it's unlikely I'll be following them.
Guest chapter 55 . 1/19/2013
i just have to say to Hamm, after reading your critique - What exactly do you consider good fanfic? If the minute details in this story were so unbearable, I can't imagine that there's much you do enjoy reading.

I completely support constructive criticism. By all means, the only way we improve is to have someone point out our errors and weak points. And I also consider myself very liberal and progressive. But to be so hung up on the "man and wife" line? In the specific weddings when the line was used (Miles/Keiko and in this fic) it was ACTUALLY a man and woman being married, and so it was appropriate and not offensive. Did it ever occur to you that there's a chance in the future, when all manner of gender and species unifications are accepted and celebrated, that they simply use whatever line is appropriate in each specific situation?

There are things worthy of critique, and there are times people get so hung up on irrelevant details that they miss out on something awesome.
Guest chapter 54 . 1/19/2013
Will this story be up as a pdf like the first one?
Hamm Sammich chapter 55 . 1/19/2013
I'm not saying you would have had to come up with a gender neutral way of saying it. "Husband and wife" would have done just fine. The "man and wife" line from the Miles/Keiko wedding bothers me too, but at least I can kind of blame that on the fact that the show was written 25 years ago. I can't do that with your stories unfortunately, and using the excuse that it's canon doesn't really wash with me when it comes to such a small non-plot relevant detail. The canon itself is far from perfect, and I don't see how adhering so strictly to the contradictions and bad examples it sets makes for a stronger story. In my opinion it actually makes it weaker. I'd think that keeping with the spirit of an enlightened, egalitarian future would be more important than following canon down to the letter. It just strikes me as missing the forest for the trees.

I thought Ascent I was good. Not great, but a fun way to spend a couple afternoons. But the more I read of your work the more the little things like this bother me. I kind of had to force myself to finish part two here, and I don't honestly know if I'll bother to read part three when you get around to posting it. Chalk it up to personal taste I guess.
Lydia Gastrell chapter 55 . 1/18/2013
A note on the wedding scene. I searched for ST Canon examples of human weddings. The only one I found was the marriage of Chief O'Brien and his wife. During the ceremony, Picard does say "Man and wife". So, I decided to go ahead with that instead of trying to make up some gender neutral 24th century version that no one would recognize. ;) -LG
Melanie Scott chapter 1 . 1/18/2013
Oh come on guys...this story was freaking awesome. Fantastic ending :D you are an incredible writer, especially in something like fanfic, where it can be so difficult to continue at times. Kudos! I am completely addicted to this story and can't wait for more. I'm sad for more character torture...but that's what makes it so good! The tension. And Bee missing! Ready your phasers, we're going in! We're coming Bee! And on a more pleadingnote...PLEASE don't kill Data again. That's just too much... keep him in Maddox's lab for a while if you will, but PLEASE don't kill him. That is all :)
Hamm Sammich chapter 55 . 1/18/2013
"man and wife"? Considering that a lot of people in the here and now consider that phrase outdated at best and pretty dang offensive at worst, I highly doubt it would still be in use in the 23rd century.

You're not a bad writer by any means and obviously have a talent for long, engaging stories, but it's little details like that that keep me from truly enjoying your work, despite how much I want and try to. Maybe I'm just too much of a damn liberal.