Reviews for No Hope
Misguided Ghostling chapter 1 . 8/17/2015
In my eyes, and I truly hope in fictional Luke's eyes as well, Beru will always be his mother. She's who raised him, loved him just like a mother. Very simple idea but portrayed nicely.
GZZAHAVJKD chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
This was a cute little story, especially how Beru finally does get a child at the end. It's short, but very well described, and I couldn't see any SPAG errors or mistakes. Nice job incorporating the prompt, too. Very sweet story. :)
darkaccalia520 chapter 1 . 12/13/2012
Oh, I didn't know you did this challenge, too, and one thing I loved about it was all the different techniques people used. I really enjoyed this story; it was simple, but not in a bad way at all. It was very organic and clean; we never really think about what Beru and Owen felt before Luke came into their lives, so I love that you created a bit of a backstory for them. Certainly, any woman who longs for a child would know pain, and I love how you show this. I also love how you show that she finally gave up, but then, a miracle happens, so it seems. Ah, and then the prompt of spaceship and the presentation of Luke. This was really lovely. I truly enjoyed it. Well done. :)
ballofstring66 chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Wow this is amazing. I had a go at one of these myself and they are not easy! A brilliantly self-contained story that doesn't matter if you know the film or not. It has everything - characterisation, emotion, excitement. Really expertly done.
Edhla chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
Wow, I can't believe this is only 100 words, when you've accomplished so much in it.

In a way I think that this is the strength of this piece- the brutal simplicity of your prose and the setting out of ideas. "She would never be a mother." That's something you couldn't express any better with 100 more words.

"Then the spaceship came" is an awesome transition- I can really see how you've incorporated your prompts, without it being anvil-like. Loving it. Well done.
HeroesAmongUs chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
You've managed make this feel incredably natural for 100 hundered words. Nothing awkward or rushed, very impressive. I don't know whether she couldn't have children but you wrote about it brillaintly. I loved the 'womb was as barren as the sands around her home' great desctiption. This is a wonderful one-shot.
Saoirse7 chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
This was sweet. :)
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 11/7/2012
The first and most amazing thing about this is that despite it being exactly 100 words as required by the challenge, it does not feel rushed or awkward in the slightest. I am seriously in awe of this. You take time to describe the setting, to set the scene. And the little details about Owen and Beru thinking the polot must have lost his navigational systems, because no one ever landed spaceships here were just so awesome and so impressive that you took the time to include them.

You have managed to include love and hope so strongly here (and perhaps even regret, as Owen and Beru wish they were wealthy enough to afford doctors, though they know even then there would be no guarantees). Owen and Beru's love for one another, and yearning for a child to love while having to put those hopes to rest despite their every instinct. The spaceship is such a central image here, arriving at the turning point as the turning point in the story. You've included the prompt so beautifully, because the spaceship becomes the symbol of hope, or at least its messenger.

This tiny story tells such a large story. A story about how a couple became a family in an unexpected way. And gosh if I can't help but notice the similarities here with Peter Parker's back-story, having written my own little drabble about how Aunt May came to be a mother in an unexpected way.

This drabble brought tears to my eyes. You start out so powerful with the description of Beru's womb being as barren as the desert sands. Short sentences like "Then the spaceship came" work so well for being stark and unadorned.

Ending the fic the way you do with Obi-wan's simple line, "His name is Luke," works so well. We know more explanations will come later, of where Luke came from and all, but this is really the most important thing, it's like this is the point at which Beru's life changed forever. I imagine the only question she wanted answered at this point was, "Can I really keep him?"
Dolphingirls chapter 1 . 11/6/2012