Reviews for Jimmy and Martha: A Play in Three Acts
Wendymypooh chapter 3 . 11/24/2012
I actually didn't see this coming...although I did pick up on Jimmy's behavior etc. Tackling domestic violence with the man actually being the one abused instead of the abuser isn't done much...I don't know why that is...they really are the silent ones, more so than women...because they think that there's something even more wrong with them than if it was a man hitting a woman...

I lost a close friend to domestic violence and walked toe to toe with another friend's abuser until she finally got the courage to say enough is enough for the last time.

I applaud your decision to write this...writing is often about getting out things we've been through or seen or think are important...in some of the M7 fanfics I've co-written with a friend we tackled issues like extreme racism, terrorists, human trafficking etc...and they were rough to do...but things we thought were important to write about.
Wendymypooh chapter 2 . 11/24/2012
Interesting addition...I'm intrigued by Martha and her relationship with Jimmy.
Wendymypooh chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
I like the story so far...I like Martha too. Anyone that can 'tame' Jimmy is good in my book. Off to read more.
mariel123 chapter 3 . 11/12/2012
Remember how I told you a little while back how I liked most of Stephen King's stories more than the movies they were made into? That it was because, in his written works, he got inside his characters' heads, and the movies just couldn't convey that the same way? Well, I found this story worked in much the same way.

I read the first chapter, and enjoyed it, for sure. And then...something about it just niggled - for want of a better term - at the back of my mind, and wouldn't let me alone. I felt as though Jimmy had almost been bewitched. Something was just ever so slightly skewed, just a little bit off-centre. And the rest, as they say, is history.

This story worked, for a lot of reasons...but the one reason that stands out in my mind is that Jimmy, by his own nature and experiences, is not a mean man. Sure, he'd beat the living $#&*! out of a man who deserved it, but a woman? No. Not with the memories of his own mother. No man ever raises a hand to a woman. And the family/friend dynamic is there - they love, care for, and look out for their own. Brilliant!

Love you, my girl, and thanks for being there for me. ML
Sunnybrook chapter 3 . 11/10/2012
As always your writing is so solid and well put together. This story had me curious wondering where you were going...but soon I saw..Poor Jimmy. People don't talk much about husband abuse but its out there... this was really well done...and I love how pulled in his family...gotta love RAchel Teaspoon, Kid and Lou.
earthdragon chapter 3 . 11/10/2012
Wow, powerful stuff. It's true that domestic violence isn't often written about in relation to TYR and you have covered it very well and in a very sensitive way.

Poor Jimmy. He might have a tough reputation but that is only because he is quick on the draw. The only fist fights he has are with other men. He's never been known to hit a woman and unfortunately Martha was the type who took advantage of that, knowing that if he retaliated, the law would believe her story, not his. It is often big guys like Jimmy that fall prey to such women. They won't fight back because they know that they could seriously injure or even kill their tormentor if they did. I'm surprised that Jimmy didn't leave Martha after the first incident, and particularly after the second one. But then, love is blind and as Jimmy was at his most vulnerable he obviously felt it was all he deserved.

I would have loved to have seen Lou punch that little madam. I knew his "family" would come through for him.

I would have liked a prologue (or maybe a prequel) to this story, explaining why Martha acted the way she did and what happened to Jimmy to make him so vulnerable and become such easy prey for such a creature.
StarRider1 chapter 3 . 11/10/2012
Poor Jimmy! Martha is lucky Lou just punched her in the nose!
Jimmy sure does need a Happy Time story.
flutegirl.anita chapter 3 . 11/9/2012
I'm so glad Lou punched her! Grrrr Martha...I was waiting for her face to melt off and reveal her to be a terminator or something evil and awful...turns out her face didn't need to melt off for her to be awful and evil. It is a rarely explored scenario especially in a seemingly physically strong man like Jimmy. This was a great story. Poor Jimmy. Yeah, I think Jimmy needs some pie or something.
CindyPio chapter 3 . 11/9/2012
A powerful reminder that not all the vulnerable people are women and not all the bad people are men. Very well done!
signefalls chapter 3 . 11/9/2012
Oh sweet Jimmy! That woman getting tossed out on her ear was too good for her... I hope she meets a bear on that road, or is struck by lighting, or hit by a swarm of Africanized bees, or rides herself straight off a cliff! I am so glad that Jimmy has his family. I have solid hope that over time he will heal, physically and mentally. This topic is real and sad and I have never seen it addressed in this fandom before. You did wonderful work with an extremely difficult topic... and yes, good times for Jimmy! He needs some :)
signefalls chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
I'm siding with Rachel on this one. Something is amiss. I am giving Martha my finest scowl right now and off to read the third part!
earthdragon chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
Well! What...a...bitch. And here was I, thinking good for Jimmy. I'm glad that Rachel noticed Martha's cattiness; however, I'm surprised that Lou didn't pick up on it. She's usually hyper-observant about other women's faults, particularly when it comes to hurting her friends.

It doesn't matter whether Jimmy was drunk or not when he first met Martha. He isn't a drunk now and it is just plain mean to talk him down like that, especially in front of his express family. And Jimmy is a nice guy, even if Martha is too stupid to see it. It looks as though there may be some domestic violence going on as well (it isn't just wives who get beaten by their spouses) - I don't believe the story about being kicked by Sundance.

Here's hoping Teaspoon and Rachel find out what is really going on in that relationship.
StarRider1 chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
Hmmm.
I'll be eagerly awaiting the last installment!
flutegirl.anita chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
I knew she was too good to be true! Still the mystery around Martha and Jimmy has pulled me in. I can't wait to read Act III. Great matches!
Gina77 chapter 1 . 11/9/2012