Reviews for Pain
lovestory121 chapter 20 . 9/11/2013
I thought this was a really, really good story! I love the way you wrote Bane in this and I love the way you wrote Blake! I'm glad that Bane broke Joker's legs too, Bane seems to feel like he needs to protect someone and I think it's fitting that it should be Blake.
icanhearthedrums chapter 20 . 6/17/2013
Loved bane's revenge for robin...what a great ending!
hybridphoenix chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
I'm not really familiar with the comic-verse, which this seems to be based on, but I found the interaction between Blake and Bane intriguing. My favorite was the William Blake quote, haha. Thanks for writing this!
Guest chapter 20 . 1/20/2013
Aw this was such a great story! And happy endings are the best! Bane avenging Blake! 3 great!
AshDoll chapter 20 . 1/19/2013
I just loved this! I'm sad it had to end but then all good things must come to an end, no? I was kind of disappointed Bane didn't actually make an appearance it was still an amazing ending. Loved it! Thank you so much!
Cerasi5 chapter 20 . 1/19/2013
Oh. My. Gosh. Such a fantastic ending! So many happy, wonderful things happening. First of all, I freaking absolutely loved your so-very-brilliant idea to have Bane break the Joker's legs. I didn't expect that at all, but your prediction was absolutely right - I loved it! So perfectly fitting; some poetic justice, even. And you, I have to say, are like a genie author in that I swear you know exactly what I'm hoping to read and you make it happen! My last inkling was that Strange's serum would permanently heal the nerve damage. I was afraid it'd be too good to be true, but I'm so happy that you gave that ending to us anyway. And who doesn't love a happy ending, especially after all the poor abuse you put Blake through? I'm also on the same page as you when it comes to the 'comfort' part of the hurt/comfort partnership. The 'hurt' part is typically a thrilling adventure, but it often feels lacking if the 'comfort' part isn't addressed, too. And you certainly delivered on this one. I'm coming away from your story with the reassurance that Blake will be okay; he's been saved from the chronically pained future he feared and has what sounds like a dedicated support system. It's a wonderfully positive end to such a dark, twisting story. I do, however, also appreciate how you addressed Blake's lingering doubts about his actions from the previous night. If there's something I dislike more than when an author doesn't address the 'comfort' part of hurt/comfort, it's when an author waves a magic wand and miraculously fixes the characters from the horror they've been put through. You've managed to keep Blake's experiences sincere while still giving him hope for redemption. It's a delicate balance that you, unsurprisingly, did perfectly. I know I sound like a broken record, but I really can't say enough good things about this story. It was full of thought-provoking themes, stunning imagery, clever dialogue, etc. etc. etc., but it never felt bogged-down by all of it. Rather, it all weaved together almost effortlessly to create a truly wonderful thrill-ride. Again, I'm so happy I stumbled across this. I've already combed through your previous stories (I particularly loved "Deep Sleprivation", by the way!), and you can be sure I'll be on the lookout for more from you. Thank you for sharing with us such a wonderful adventure and thank you for all of your thoughtful and kind responses to my reviews! I wish you all the best in the future and I hope to be back to reviewing another one of your stories soon!
Mega3 chapter 19 . 1/16/2013
That was amazing! I had hoped Bane would come back. Such a good chapter.
Cerasi5 chapter 19 . 1/15/2013
This chapter has made my heart so happy! I'll admit - this was the direction I had hoped you would take, what with bringing back Bane and having him help to defeat the creature and administer the antidote. And of course I have to say - it was such a joy to see the return of Bane! I think I've mentioned it before, but you really have managed to completely sway my opinion of Bane, even now to the point where I caught myself thinking "he's such a good guy!" sometime during this chapter (which I then realized was horribly twisted). But you've brought out that honorable part of him so well and I love the way you write him. And of course if anyone were to bring out that honorable part of Bane, it would be Blake. I also appreciate how you managed to let Blake keep his integrity. His night has been full of harrowing experiences that brought out aspects of himself he hadn't had to face before, but I don't think he did anything that would leave him completely broken. He never killed and managed not to let himself be completely overtaken by the Venom. At least, not permanently. Not to say that the poor guy couldn't use some counseling after all this, but I believe he's strong enough to overcome this. (Can I also just say, as a random side-note, that I absolutely loved the final imagery of the chapter? The falling black speck morphing into a bat silhouette almost gave me chills. It felt so, so Nolan-like to me and was perfect for the story.) I'm very interested to see what you'll do with the aftermath of taking the antidote. I have one last inkling that I think will be confirmed or corrected in this last chapter. And if it seems like I've been two steps ahead, it's only because you have crafted a story so well that you consistently deliver what your audience hopes to and wants to read! :) It's been such a fun ride and while I'm sad to see it end, I am also looking forward to see how you tie it all up. Until then, I hope you, too, have a wonderful week!
Guest chapter 19 . 1/15/2013
Yeah! Bane is back! So Blake got the cure from Bane now? Finally :) cant wait for the last chapter!
Cerasi5 chapter 18 . 1/9/2013
Geez, another instance of me missing a chapter! Yet again, sincere apologies! It frankly frustrates me that this story isn't getting the review love it deserves so I feel terrible for missing yet another review. So let me jump right into it: I love how you've set up this final battle to be the crescendo of your story. It's the battle we all were waiting for and you haven't let us down. In a way, it was almost nice to read these past two chapters back-to-back so there was very little interruption in the action. You've got me hooked in this "will he/won't he?" battle of whether Blake lets the Venom overtake him and I love how you have him relying on what it felt like/who he was as Nightwing to keep him from going over the edge. Poor Blake - he is going to need a strong drink and a long nap after a night like this. Assuming, of course, he comes out of this night fully intact. Which, honestly, doesn't seem to be looking that great... but I trust you wherever it is you're leading us. :) I recognize it might not be the ending I'm anticipating/(maybe secretly) hoping for, but I know you'll do it well. I apologize that this review is shorter - sadly, with the holidays being over it's back to the real world and that leaves less time for reading, enjoying, and reviewing outstanding fanfiction. But this certainly doesn't mean I enjoyed reading these chapters any less! And of course I'm looking forward to the next one, too! Hopefully I'll be able to read and review it in a more timely fashion than these past two. Hope your week is going well!
Guest chapter 18 . 1/8/2013
Im missing Bane as well :) hope he will be back soon!
Cerasi5 chapter 16 . 1/2/2013
Pffft, "a little rough"? Nonsense! As always, another excellent chapter from you. And again, another interesting introspective from Blake's point of view. It's captivating (and admittedly a bit scary) to see Blake be so angry at his past, his present, his future. He seems very much like a man torn between what he knows he should do (taking the antidote) and what he deems as almost an easier way out. Blake has fought the good fight for so long - I certainly can't blame him for wanting just to be done with it all, especially if taking the antidote means returning to his previous state of chronic pain. It's not an easy decision, and now he's on his own to figure it out... Although, I do have my own suspicions regarding that as well. ;) Just as you don't want to give anything away (and rightfully so!), I'm going to keep my hunches to myself in case they are completely off base. But you've certainly set us up for what appears to be a dramatic show-down between Blake and the creature! I'll admit I'm excited to see how it'll go - Blake certainly appears to be strong enough to battle the creature, but I anticipate his difficulty will lie in trying to keep Venom from completely overtaking his mind. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a fun thing to read which I am confident you will navigate with your usual deftness. (As a side-note, I set out to make this review significantly shorter than my previous ones (even though that clearly didn't work) because, while you have been so kind in your responses, I feel like I ramble during these. Yet I find I can't stop - your writing is so thought-provoking and there's so much that I want to reflect on/commend you for/speculate about/etc. I hope you recognize (and I think you do, but just to clarify) that I mean for these reviews to be a way for you to see what at least one of your readers is thinking while reading your works, not as a way for me to "toot my own horn," so to speak, as a reader. These lengthy reviews are a testament to you and the story you've created!) So I'll stop the rambling now by wishing you a happy new year! And that I am looking forward, as always, to reading more!
Cerasi5 chapter 15 . 12/23/2012
Ack! Let me first of all apologize profusely for missing reviewing your previous chapter! I did the very bad thing of reading it (and loving it!) when I knew I wouldn't have time to write a review after (with the intent of writing one later), and then never returning to my computer between then and now (troublesome real-life obligations!). So sorry for not holding up my end of the reader/writer bargain here! So before I jump into this chapter, let me just say that the pacing of chapter 13 was a perfect, well-needed breather. I know you mentioned you had some writer's block, but I thought the conversation between Blake and Bane was pitch-perfect. You've managed to completely evolve my view of Bane, and I believe rightfully so. You're absolutely right - he's much more fun to read having that softer-ish side than being a straight sadist. I think it makes him more complex and interesting and I love how you've gently peeled back his layers for us to see. Which then brings me to this chapter, where you give us this hilarious exchanging of silly pleasantries between Bane and Blake. I sincerely laughed when it was *Bane* reminding *Blake* of the proper way to respond to someone saying thank you. And having Blake respond with "it was necessary" was absolutely perfect. So, so perfect. :) And the, oh you know, little fact Bane drops about the Venom being gone completely threw me for a loop. I was with John in that moment of panic, but of course Bane would be ever so nonchalant about the whole thing. And it had never struck me before how Bane and Blake would separate, which is really something. You had me so invested in the story where it was as I was reading it, that I gave little thought to what the future chapters would bring. I think this parting fits well - both have upheld their ends of the agreement so there's really no need for them to continue to share a path. It's rather a clean break (I suddenly feel like I'm describing a relationship break-up...) and I appreciate how Bane leaves Blake fully supported for what he needs in regards to both the antidote and anesthetic. It's such a radical change from the Bane we saw in the film (and apparently the comics!), but I think you've prepared us as the readers to accept Bane's semi-/quasi-/own-breed-of-kindness. I loved, too, how you drew the parallel between Blake and Miranda in Bane's eyes. It's a parallel that I think is completely fitting and is perhaps a bit of a lightbulb moment for us to understand why Bane is being so protective of and helpful to Blake. And although they've parted ways, I can't help but wonder if we'll see Bane again before the story finishes. Regardless, I'm excited to see what you'll have for us next! Again, I'm so sorry for the extreme tardiness of my review! I'd like to promise it'll never happen again, but with the holidays and family being in town, unfortunately all bets are off. However, please, please know that your work is being appreciated and that when given the chance, I will write to tell you as much! I hope your week is off to a good start (happy holidays!), and as always, looking forward to reading more!
Cupcak3 chapter 15 . 12/23/2012
sad. poor blake, great chapter!
Guest chapter 15 . 12/23/2012
Uh we are coming closer to the end, are we? :) I hope this will have a happy ending
53 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »