Reviews for Brother
englishtutor chapter 1 . 2/19
Your writing style is hauntingly beautiful, and you've done a wonderful job of keeping your Mycroft in character. Seeing such a disturbing family melt-down through the eyes of a highly intelligent seven-year-old is both poignant and moving.
frankannestein chapter 1 . 10/27/2014
Hello and Salutations! Thought I'd drop by and return the favor of so many wonderful reviews. Unfortunately, I am fandom blind (don't even say it, I know . . .) except for the bits of Sherlock lore that have made it into everyday life. I won't, obviously, be commenting on any part of that.

But as far as reading something for enjoyment, I can do that. :3 And I really did enjoy this one-shot. I didn't always know so much about babies and Mummies as I do now. What I do know, now, makes me see so much more than Mycroft does in this story, and it's . . . well, it's sad! I just wanna hug that little boy for doing what he did for his brother even if he didn't quite realize the magnitude of it himself. I'm curious to see how this incident affects Mycroft later, if he even remembers it - especially the final line.

Anne
George J. Valtom chapter 1 . 9/8/2014
Hello! Review tagger coming through here. I know this isn't one of the stories you requested, but since you have a whole chronology set up, I'd just like to go through everything in order.

"Quick flashes of anaemic moonlight rent through the gusts of cloud-cover, beaming like the search beacon of a distant lighthouse." I love how, right here, you've already set up for us a lot about the character of Mycroft. You'll have to forgive my fandom blindness, but I believe Mycroft has a very intelligent trait about himself? That shows through here very well.

As the story goes on, we can really connect with some of the things he's feeling. For example, he's upset that his parents don't have as much time for him any more; that's something a lot of new older siblings feel. Also, being afraid about breaking the baby...I've handled a few babies before, and I know exactly the feeling!

I found it humorous when Mycroft is trying to teach Sherlock the formal names for all the fingers. I remember when I was little, I tried to teach my baby brother things, way before he was ever old enough to understand them. XD So, I guess, this story really speaks to me through that personal connection.

I'm not sure what happens at the end there - again, canon blindness perhaps? Did something major happen in the show/books here?

There were a couple of spots that may need improvement. For example, this paragraph break:

"Sherlock didn't own anything blue. Mycroft had been promised a sister.

All the same, Mycroft imagined a sister would probably scream just as loudly as a brother, so there didn't seem to be a lot of difference there."

These could be melded together, I think, into a single unified paragraph.

Also, this line right here: "...that surprisingly powerful grip; but by this time he was making a valiant effort to keep his eyes open." With a semicolon, you don't use a conjunction afterwards. Maybe say "...powerful grip; by now, however, he was..." to keep a complete sentence on both sides of the punctuation.

Other than that, this was a very well-written FanFiction, very uplifting and cheering and sweet. Fantastic job!
Maid of Justice chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
It's really sweet that the Holmes brothers are actually not fighting-then again, it's because Sherlock's a baby and apparently has no reason to hate Mycroft.
Characterization, although the characters are decades younger than in canon, is good. It's pretty Mycroft-like to think of a wailing Sherlock as merely a screaming blanket, or to be disgusted by thick drool. Description is also good; I could imagine the dark room in which Sherlock was in, and how Mycroft acted towards him there.

[shades of the cotton singlet was wearing]
I'm a bit confused here, I think a 'he' between singlet and was could do, since it made me stop reading for a second to figure out, thus breaking my flow of reading.

Although I know Mycroft's a genius kid, and might know algebra already, I didn't expect him to know the Latin names of the fingers. I only found out know. On the bright side, this does add more knowledge.

Other than those two issues I found slightly irking, this is a nice one-shot about Mycroft and Sherlock showing their brotherly bond before things apparently became sour.
Pan Hatta chapter 1 . 5/4/2014
This is adorable and in its own right kind of... eerie? I can't articulate how I feel exactly, but in retrospective, it gives off the same feeling I have towards Mycroft as we know him (Gatiss style!). He's very alien to human relationships, mirrored by the way he just saw Sherlock as this bundle of clothe that cried.

I understand this was written before season 3 so we actually knew little of their parents. However, I don't know if you saw this or not, but in the DVD extras, Gatiss and Moffat did a commentary during some of the episodes and hinted that there could have been an affair (or at least that's what I got from it). This gives the whole "father away on business" paragraph an underlying meaning for me, whether it was intended or not.

The only thing that really caught me off guard was [Sherlock didn't own anything blue. Mycroft had been promised a sister.] What I got from this was the idea of "blue for a boy". That and the early onset of their male sibling rivalry. Or maybe it was used to illustrate Mycroft's observation skills. I'm just mainly confused at to why they were chosen to be in the same paragraph.

Similar to the TV show, Mycroft shows his inadvertent caring side by teaching his brother to count and at the same time, it exhibits his vast intelligence, something which he isn't really credited with (or at least not enough) in the series until season three- really insightful from your behalf.

Overall, I really enjoyed and it was a fresh perspective on the older Holmes that has yet to be inflicted with Sherlock's intelligence. Well done!
clicketykeys chapter 1 . 3/24/2014
I feel like there's something I'm missing.

Your detail is crisp and vivid - a wee bit on the purpley side for me. I tend to prefer literal sensory detail more so than figurative imagery. But you have a light touch with it and the images are clear. The tone is excellent; it has a very observation-ish feel to it, which is perfect for Mycroft's point of view.

And the piece does a good job of setting up the relationship that Mycroft seems to have with Sherlock - taking care of him, sort of, but not entirely sure what to do with him.

Mycroft's final observation is an interesting endpoint for the scene. I take it he "could have been mistaken" because it was so dark? I'm wondering if you're touching on something that is established by the show and I missed that episode?

Nothing SpaGgy jumped out at me, so well done there. You have a clear, smooth style that works well in this scene. Well done!
StrawberryDuckFeathers chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
. Trying to see how many reviews I can give a member in 1hr . . Rather fandom-blind! .

Judging by 'Mummy', I'm assuming the characters are very young here, and so there's a very childlike feel created at the beginning with the way Mycroft seems completely captivated with the world outside of his bedroom window. I think the mystery surrounding baby Sherlock definitely reflects his mysterious nature as an adult as well. When it says he hadn't seen much of Mummy thanks to the 'screaming white blanket', I picked up what might've been a hint of jealousy. He doesn't appear to see it as human here, implying a bit of carelessness, and he seems to feel that his brother's getting all the attention, which I am sure would irritate most young children. The childlike innocence of little Mycroft's point of view, for me, creates a lot of darkness between the lines- is Mummy clumsy and dazed because she's very, very down, maybe? Or been taking drugs to help out with those down feelings, perhaps? The barefoot and nightgown definitely suggest some carelessness in life. 'Maybe he was easily broken' frightened me, and that heightened the envious vibes I was getting from Mycroft. However, I'm not so sure when I saw Mycroft playing with him, when he was letting Sherlock try to eat his fingers. Maybe I'm wrong in my prediction, so my apologies about that. :) Also, there's something about you and shocking endings, I think...This one used that childhood obliviousness to its full potential. To him, she's just in a strange position, but to us, she is clearly incredibly depressed. I noticed one of the reviewers thought that the mother had postnatal depression I think, and that seems likely in this case. I have no concrit. Another emotion-wrenching and well-written story. Keep up the good work! I really like reading these. :)
Gregg c chapter 1 . 12/29/2013
Great- something to read at last. I will savour each digit.

maxxy21 chapter 1 . 11/9/2013
hello, I'm surprised to say that I like this chunk of work. I say surprised because I wasn't thinking that writing about a new born baby would keep me interested but i did. the part about Mycroft being there to help his new born baby brother to sleep heated my heart. anyway I will be reading the rest of what you have. I'm sure you don't remember me though, but you did read my first post that i put up. It was close to a year ago; but you did give me a very good review that I thank you very much for, so I wanted to return the favor. I now have much more time in my life to keep working on my own story. also just an FYI I am taking down my first post and replacing it with new work. Its going to be the same story but it has a new name now you will see it if you go back to look into it, I'm cutting my posts way down on your advice so again I thank you.
Madame Tortilla chapter 1 . 10/13/2013
Hello there!

I’m not fandom blind, but when it comes to Sherlock I’ll always assume surprises are on my way. Now, I did enjoy this one-shot but my feels got to the Holmes’ family. It’s not just the fact that their father is away, but Sherlock’s mother seems to be falling into a depressive state of mind that can be both dangerous for her and for the children, so it does break my heart reading how Mycroft deals and thinks about the situation. From what I do know, it would seem that Mother Holmes was not only very much alike Sherlock, but possibly also has a volatile temper. I read in Tumblr a theory about the Holmes’ dysfunctional family and I wouldn’t think it too far-fetched that their father had several affairs. Throughout the series, we notice how Sherlock dotes on Mrs Hudson. Me thinks he his channeling unresolved feelings and relationship with his mother.

Still, I can feel Mycroft’s pain. He isn’t showing it, in fact, he always comes across as aloof and sarcastic while Sherlock throws his emotions around even if he tries not to. This one-shot is a little hard to stomach in its core, but it was very well written. There were a few parts I found a little too vague for my liking, but that’s just a personal nitpick. Keep up the good work )
SiriuslyPeeved chapter 1 . 10/10/2013
This was beautifully written. Little Mycroft is very much in character. Infant Sherlock's first investigation - my brother's thumb! It's also a poignant view of what I have interpreted as postpartum depression from an older sibling's perspective - I had postpartum depression myself with my second child and this story had a powerful impact on me. Bravo.
Cheile chapter 1 . 9/7/2013
Okay, I will start off by saying I'm 200% fandom blind and probly will be forever on this one. So I'm gonna have to trust that you have all your character ducks in a row, which I'm sure you do :)

Didn't know Sherlock had a brother, heh. But I always find child character stories interesting, and this one caught my eye. I like that you're doing it from Mycroft's POV and the descriptions of what he sees and thinks are realistic. I can't quite tell how much older Mycroft is than baby Sherlock, but he seems a good bit older since you describe him reaching THROUGH the crib bars as opposed to over and down the way, say, a teenaged sibling would.

Love the finger grabbing and Mycroft's little counting lesson. That's adorable. Also love the whole "he wanted a sister but got a brother" instead. Very realistic of young children to decide their reality should include one or the other and even try to deny it after baby arrives, lol.

The ending is a bit mysterious...whats' wrong with their mother? Suppose if I get to tag you again, I'll check out the sequel you mentioned and maybe find out. Nice work.
Great Angemon chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
Wow! This a a wonderful story. I'm fandom blind, but I don't even need to know about the fandom to know about the story. It's just a boy taking care of his little brother. It was so cute and sweet.

I loved your summary. It made me laugh. "At first, Sherlock was just a screaming thing down the hall." It's a really funny line, that I'm glad you also put into the story.

I thought it was really cute the way Sherlock was sucking on Mycroft's fingers. That's such a sweet little thing babies do, and it adds a sense of realism to the story.

I have two concerns for the characters: Why was "mummy" acting so strange, walking around in just her nightgown and slippers? Was a Postpartum stress? And why was she on the stairs? Though I suppose I'll find out the next time I tag you, won't I?

I saw no problems with SPAG. Everything looked wonderful and perfect.
jack63kids chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
What an interesting exploration of their childhood and why Mycroft being 'mother' might be it in a nutshell. Makes you wonder what went wrong... though I have no doubt you have a great explanation for that...

The whole, feels like a good exploration of the Holmes boys' psyches.

'Pollex, Digitus Secundus Manus, Digitus Medius, Digitus Annularis, Digitus Minimus Manus. ' - Sooo Mycroft. That is priceless.

' the same yellow and white shades of the onesie was wearing.' - the same yellow and white shades of the (onesie) he was wearing. - Also, in those days it would have been called a baby-grow.
' "Don't fuss…" ' - not a very English phrase for then. Mycroft would be more likely to say, 'don't make a fuss'. Or some nonsense thing about little boys should be seen and not heard. I bet something like that was said to him more than once.

Lovely. I'm not often a fan of baby-Sherlock stories, but this is exceptionally good.
Esther Huffleclaw chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Oh, my goodness. This is amazing. I love it.

"Mycroft would never have supposed something so small, so fragile-looking, could make such a robust howling noise- why couldn't Mummy hear it? Mycroft had a moment wondering if Dad could hear it, and he was in Italy." That is just perfect. You've somehow managed to make Mycroft sound like a child, while also making him sound precocious. That is a difficult thing to do, so many kudos.

Mycroft’s decision to start teaching Sherlock numbers and the Latin names of fingers made me grin. I remember teaching my younger brothers and you’ve captured it perfectly. (Although, I never knew the Latin names, so I didn’t teach them that. Lol)

“He wiped the drool- it was really too disgusting- on Sherlock's blanket.” I love this sentence so much. Yes, baby drool is disgusting, but we put up with it, just as Mycroft puts up with it. And then, he tiptoes out of the room, terrified that he’ll wake him. I remember doing that too.

I have nothing to criticize. I love it. It’s perfect. Thanks for making me smile. :)