Reviews for A Time To Rest
vlbuehle chapter 1 . 1/20/2013
Actually, I loved this fic for precisely that reason: it offers a clear, reasonable explanation for Sam's actions. I'm very, very tired of the Sam-bashing, to the point where I'm nearly ready to quit on the Show for it. I'm still waiting for Sam to point out that, hello, it was freaking Purgatory-it took an angel to pry it open last time, and that didn't exactly turn out so well in the end with the Leviathans running around. Getting Eve out required the sacrifice of a virgin and presumably a pretty dark ritual too; again, not something Sam would do.

Thanks for the story!
lordtrayus chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
I totally agree and it makes sense that Sam wouldn't look for him (and harsh though it is I can't blame him dean is being a bigger dick than usual). And dean with his woe is me attitude and his drinking last season Sam could hardly be blamed for thinking he wanted to die I thought he was suicidal too. That episode annoyed me because dean still hasn't forgiven Sam for everything, yet he forgave cas when he did the exact same thing, consciously and betrayed both of them yet he got off with it while Sam didn't. And Sam should have given as good as he got dean has screwed up just as much s he has, but no dean never does wrong and only Sam does. Dean, who apparently wants to keep Sam with him needs to stop being such a dick and move on or he's going to push Sam away and it'll be his own fault, not that he would think it is. Good story, I totally agree
jm chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
Good fit with the story line. Love the empathy for Sam, and agree that Dean needs to get past thinking of himself. He had his "normal" period, Sam deserved one as well.
rohopretender200 chapter 1 . 11/10/2012
thank you and sam thought dean was dead and eventually the winchestors are going to realize their nine live run out. I don't blame sam he thought dean was dead and why should he have to be a hunter when dean died the first time yeah he hunted for revenge because dean was in hell for him but this time he knew dean was not in hell. Dean been horrible to sam so far i adore him but i cannot wait till something happens to knock him off that high horse he's on now and realize that no vamp could ever be a better brother than sam hey love the story
Guest chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
I am upset for the show writers doing this to Sam's character, and I cannot understand why except to maybe write him out of the way and/or make fandom hate on him. And why make Dean look so immature by not letting it go (I don't feel he needed to tell Sam about Benny though, but the part about him being a better brother? Why did you bother coming back to Sam after blood brother? You should have just stayed with Benny boy since he has your back and all. Sorry, I meant arm:) If this is what they think good drama is, then they need too go back to the roots of the show. I hate this season, have only watched two episodes so far because I made the mistake of reading the spoilers. I do not blame the characters; I blame Carver and his team of writers. You, on the other hand, did a very nice job and kudos to you.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea that Sam was doing the exact thing he would have wanted Dean to do if the situation were reversed. They did make a promise to each other.
lillelouis chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
Squii! :)
CandyCakes chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
Nice story, I enjoyed it very much. As for Dean, yeah I think at this point he needs to back down off Sam. But I understand his anger. He's hurt because Sam didn't even try to look for him. I know Sam thought he was dead but he didn't know that and he won't talk about with Dean. He wants to talk about everything else in the world but the one thing that might make his brother feel better. Sorry I went off on my rant, I just miss when the guys used to be on the same page, kinda painful to watch. Anyway good story and please don't take this as a flame!
CBloom2 chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
I enjoyed it! I have read a lot of Sam bashing comments on different sites so its nice to read something that doesnt bash Sam! I have to say that this season is making me sad - not sure how it will pan out! But again good job on this fic x
it'ssamnotsammy chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
I wish this was more than a one shot. You are a terrific writer and you're right on the money with your opinion. I don't like the way the writers are taking the boys this season. We are in the same mind when it comes to why we think Sam didn't try to get Dean back and it is a valid reason. Dean was in self destruct mode last season and he was slowly turning into his father. I didn't want to see that happen and then he goes to Purgatory and comes back even more messed up than when he left.
emmau chapter 1 . 11/9/2012
I think I would agree that there's only so much a man can atone, but we haven't seen Sam atone at all on screen. He hasn't been sorry that he left Dean in purgatory, or offered Dean any explanation other than "I tried nothing and was all out of ideas, and then I found something better." I agree Dean needs to let it go, because his anger isn't helping him cope at all. That doesn't mean that Sam, based on what we've seen so far, really deserves to be let off the hook.

Now if Sam really thought Dean was gone and didn't want to bring him back to spare him more pain, that would be a veryunderstandable point of view. I agree that if Dean had really died and gone on, it would have seemed cruel for Sam to pull him back. So I like that this story brings in that theory, because it's one I haven't read before.

Of course, the problem is that in canon Sam hasn't indicated that he thought Dean was dead-he just didn't know what happened and didn't try to find out, at least according to what we've been told so far. There was no sign in 7.23 that Dean nor Cas thought that their actions were suicidal, and I'm not sure how Sam could have possibly come to that conclusion. I can't say that if my sibling disappeared right in front of me that I'd just assume they were dead and not bother to try to find out for sure. So I'm afraid that I can't agree that Sam doesn't deserve all of the grief he's gotten for giving up on his brother without even trying to find out for sure.

I think one of the big problems between the boys is that Sam isn't offering any explanations like this. He's simply telling Dean he didn't look because he didn't and he found something he's never had that he can't wait to get back to. I find it hard to blame Dean for being hurt by that. That said, I agree that Dean has to let it go and accept Sam as he is for his own sake, because if he keeps expecting Sam to be the kind of brother Dean wishes he was (i.e., the kind of brother he is) he's just going to keep being disappointed and hurt. Sam just isn't that way with Dean, and Dean needs to accept that and be ready to move on, just as Sam is, for his own wellbeing.

Thank you for the story, though, and the theory. It was interesting and I would love it if in cannon Sam would give Dean at least something like this as an explanation.
ROSSELLA1 chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
I love this. I'm with you. While I understand that Dean feels betrayed, Dean knew he was alive while Sam had no way of knowing that and, judging by the lack of lore on leviathans, no way of finding out. I believe that Sam honestly thought he was dead. Also, Dean needs to remember that, while Sam was in Hell, he went off with Lisa. True he was keeping his promise to Sam, but Sam, in this case, was keeping his promise to Dean. Sorry, I know I'm rambling but I'm just glad someone else can see Sam's side.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/8/2012
I like your story, but I am gonna say something about Sam not looking for Dean.

The bottom line is: If the situation was reversed and Sam disappeared, Dean would have looked for him. Period. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it.

I just think it's messed up that he didn't look for Dean. At all. I know this sounds callous, but I think when Dean disappeared, Sam did feel bad for a time, but untimely was like, "Thank God, now I can be normal." which is unfortunate since I like both brothers, but the the fact remains that Sam couldn't be bothered to look for Dean because he finally had a chance to be normal . That is fact whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

Interesting story though.