Reviews for I Dreamed a Dream
Guest chapter 1 . 9/6/2013
Insanely bad
DiamondTopaz chapter 3 . 1/11/2013
Last night when I read this, I was a bit bothered by the abruptness of this chapter, and how you seemed in such a hurry to move ahead to Kaylee and Brock as adults.
Then when I woke up this morning I remembered, oh wait a minute, this is supposed to follow Les Mis. Brock is Marius, Kaylee is Cosette, and it sounds like Kira is Eponine. So, now I get it. (Hope Kira doesn't end as tragically though.)
WishfulWriting chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
I wondered what would happen to Mike's daughter and whether they will address it on the show. This is a really creative spin to it. Great writing also! The idea of Jesse with a kid reminds me of "Three Men and a Baby"! But he would do a good job, albeit with some likely bumps on the way.
DiamondTopaz chapter 2 . 11/9/2012
I definitely like how this started off, with Walt lamenting how it just wasn't the same running the operation with Todd as it was with Jesse. In the episode where Todd starts cooking with Walt, and is all obedient and hard-working, you can just imagine Walt thinking, "Christ, kid, can't you call me a dickwad or something?!"
I have to admit, after that, I'm afraid a lot of things started to bug me about this story.
The biggest problem I had was that I thought Walt's plan was to coerce Jesse into working with him again. It would be just like him to use Kaylee in some way to achieve that end. But instead, he ended up helping Jesse adopt Kaylee and allowing them both to leave town. Unless a later chapter reveals this as part of his plan, the whole thing seems kinda counter-productive on his end.
Also, it seems weird to me that Hank and Gomez-police officers-are aware that Kaylee is living with an abusive foster parent, but don't do anything about it. Plus, Miss Autumn doesn't seem all that worried about getting in trouble with the cops for letting her foster child go missing. (This story should take place around the time the Caylee Anthony case was in the news, although it might not have gone national yet. Even so, you'd imagine missing kids would be a pretty touchy issue right now.)
One other nitpick, Jesse calls Kaylee "honey" and "sweetheart" a little too much. It feels just a bit inappropriate. 'Course, he isn't used to the guardian role he's been thrust into, so there is that.
I know this story is influenced by Les Mis, but it almost feels like it would make more sense if it took place in the same time period as Les Mis, when children were just workers you could pay less and child safety laws pretty much didn't exist. I am curious to see where it is going, though, and if Walt is going to do something dastardly at the end of it all.