Reviews for The Cerberus Files Addenda : The Systems Alliance
AnthonyR89 chapter 15 . 5/11
so, all three deputy directors of the ais are from the Chu family?
AnthonyR89 chapter 13 . 5/11
what no Habsburgs? that would be amusing, if only for the resentment towards the Manswells.
AnthonyR89 chapter 11 . 5/11
...aren't the eldfalls and Ashlands among the worst of the high lords after the Manswells and Saud?

also, I've been expanding my knowledge of bourbon. personally, I think maker's mark is probably better than wild turkey, though not by so much to merit the greater price. and Evan Williams is probably on par with it, and cheaper.
AnthonyR89 chapter 10 . 5/11
who is Tyrone?

also, yeah, no. looking at the history, the Germans repeatedly got their asses kicked by the us.
AnthonyR89 chapter 6 . 5/11
minsta is delusional. never mind the fact that most alliance marines are shit compared to their equivalents, the asari, salarians, and turians would crush them through sheer weight of numbers.
deadliestfan chapter 1 . 6/13/2021
So a while ago I made a promise to myself to one day review all of LogicalPremise's stuff, for his Mass Effect fanfiction is certainly one of the most extensive and intriguing fanfics ever written. While the second is undoubtedly a personal opinion, the first is almost certainly factual, as I counted well over 3,000,000 written for the Mass Effect side of things alone. I am definitely enough a fan to donate on Patreon, lurk (and very rarely comment) on discord and use this as the primary inspiration for my own crossover fanfiction.

Alas, for various reasons I have not followed through with this, but most notably because 'managing different priorities' is a task I need to develop. At least till now (though I have read everything)

Starting with this chapter (as, according to the annotated guide, this is where I should start) I do want to start with the suggestion that Sloth's addenda ultimately end up inserted, or at least a link given, here. While as a stand-alone nothing overt comes out as timeline altering in this writeup (such as references to Beria as leader, nixon winning 1960s etc), it might be helpful to explain some of the...brutality of this history. The widespread use of WMDs for example and the willingness of the core powers to not only freely use them devoid of ethical constraints (which, sure I can buy, for reasons detailed below) but environmental/economical as well. Like sure, I can understand the US gov wanting to 'send a message" in the Montana incident, but it's likely that those states that receive the fallout, even if 'loyal'. are likely to be pissed.

(also, more nitpicky, but Butte, like many cities/urban areas, trends liberal with anti-LGBTQ discrimination ordinance passed and probably would not be a happy capital for ultraconservatives, nor supportive of secession for that reason, though I understand it may be different in your universe).

As someone who loves history, this is a fascinating and fun read. Again and particularly in this universe (with the *spoilers* dictated in the discord regarding...differences in humanity) I can actually buy the use of WMDs as the final response to guerrilla warfare. I know the US did *consider* their deployment in Vietnam and Korea, and I think the Soviets did against China(and maybe elsewhere) so I can imagine if there were conditions in place, like a fed-up populace, the rival superpower actually being supportive rather than willing to jump on it and being powerful enough to withstand a lot of the blowback themselves...then yea. Though it probably caused no small amount of problems still (embittered survivors for one with nothing to lose).

Brazil as the 'antagonist' faction (in quotation marks as Manswell is not exactly a protagonist) is one that does not often appear in fiction, fan or otherwise, and yet a twist I like. For reasons you expand upon, the oft-ignored region has plenty of struggles, plenty of turmoil and, in this verse with the other factions distracted elsewhere, plenty of opportunities. There are plenty of questions to be had in this segment though, like what was the 'crazed knowledge' Ardiante had, what punishment did Japan face for its bankroll of the man (given how...thorough the US/CHina were with Brazilallies, and willigness to use WMDs, I find it hard to believe Japan were to escape unscathed were it within China/Us' capacity to punish) and what was the fate of loyalist and dissident Brazil(few of the latter there may be). I expect many of those questions to be answered in time and reading through.

Did the war escalate to the extraplanetary colonies, or was Manswell able to keep that thoroughly locked down?

I am sure there is a lot to read between the lines here- like with the Eezo accidents, Jacen's 'suicide' already being recognized and I might come back to it as I see it expanded
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 11 . 1/31/2020
Really love this humanization of The Illusive Man. It gives a deeper meaning behind his actions and views, how at heart, he wanted what was best for humanity and the galaxy. Yet, like any being who loses those they love, and their faith in the status quo, he was able to succumb to anger and desire to vengeance. His loss and Trellani and Minsta's losses really give good reasons behind their nihilism. It makes it even more tragic knowing The Illusive Man's fate to indoctrination in Mass Effect 3!
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 10 . 1/31/2020
I don't know whether to just laugh at Pel or hate him. He's just a tired soldier who hates arguments, even if he's kind've a racist guy himself like Minsta. Love this comedy!
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 9 . 1/31/2020
Really love the way that all these military and navy sections of the alliance were fleshed out here! And I love the more detail in the corsair and fleet sections.
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 8 . 1/27/2020
Really liked how Trellani put it respectfully as to why Minsta's rhetoric was wrong in many areas while still getting to understand some of his views.
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 7 . 1/27/2020
Really love how this ties into the lore of the greater saga while taking a look back at real world examples of corporate greed. It can really make me sympathize with Cerberus, something I thought I'd never do, (Aside from Miranda and Jacob of course). Really look forward to reading more!
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 6 . 1/21/2020
Really loving all this history on the systems alliance structure of military and the dark history behind it, it has an unsettling feel to it, but it could also symbolize the Alliance's redemption from total dictatorship to a relatively free state.
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 5 . 1/21/2020
This really makes me think twice about who I'm calling 'the good guys' in Mass Effect. Really cool detail regarding the government. The political corruption already makes me happier that I chose Anderson as the councilor in ME1, and the Commisariat makes me really rethink about whether or not the Systems Alliance are truly heroes given their own history. It seems like Anderson and Hackett are anomalies in the Alliance of true defenders of freedom, whereas the Commisariat and the Alliance Blue make me terrified. I even have sympathy for Terra Firma, even if it has a popularity among antialien groups! I'm loving this Fanfiction!
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 3 . 11/4/2019
An interesting look at how Humans and aliens interact in the civilian world with each other, outside of the perspective of the players. Loving this the more I read it!
IllusiveMan2185 chapter 2 . 11/1/2019
Man, more and more I'm loving this fanfiction's interpretation of pre-ME1 history. It really adds a lot of history and character to Cerberus and the Systems Alliance, even the Turians! Really gives some understandable and sympathetic reasons for why anyone would wish to join a terrorist group like Cerberus. Look forward to reading more!