Reviews for Schadenfreude
Tobee chapter 1 . 3/30
Is Sasori trying to do the same thing to Deidara that Orochimaru did to him?
sangi chapter 1 . 2/9
This story was so, so great. A wonderful look into Sasori and Orochimaru's partnership. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this because I wasn't previously as interested in them as characters, but it was written so beautifully that this is now all my head canon. Just so wonderfully done. I think you capture their personalities so well in all of their little movements and phrases. Orochimaru is a beautiful disaster. I additionally really enjoyed the Sasori and Deidara dynamic. I loved this. Thank you for sharing with us.
Pikas chapter 1 . 10/6/2014
I am getting myself prepared for Zero Hour with the two prequels. My body is ready.

This was my first fic which focused on Sasori and Orochimaru's past comradeship. This was a mighty long read. I think it was really interesting to see SasorI try and play Orochimaru's game.
To me, Orochimaru is a villain I was never able to take seriously for unknown reasons; yet most around him are cautious, and I never really could grasp why. In all honesty I still really don't up to this day.
I was slightly taken aback about how deep you portrayed the two's relationship - mostly about the trust Sasori had for the elder of the two. It never really occurred to me since in my head Sasori seems to have no sort of emotional ability. He's sort of a complex and simple character like that at the same time.

Most think that Deidara is naive and far from being a genius, but he can prove people wrong. It's almost sad that Sasori had lost the ability to trust or show his real face to others after Orochimaru's betreyal.

Now, on to the next!
UnderneathXtheXunderneath chapter 1 . 9/22/2014
This is the second time I've read this story and I have to say: It's brilliant. Especially the portrayal of Orochimaru, Sasori and Deidara's character, but also everybody else, no matter how short their appearence, is spot-on and I believe I have seldomly read something that was so intriguing in the psychological departement.

My favorite part is the part in which Deidara refuses to play the game by simply standing up to his own beliefs. What a painful reminder that Sasori could have done the same, but at the same time couldn't.

Thank you very much for this deep insight into personalities that remain shallow in canon. This and the sequel have become my head-canon now.
Flaming Belladonna chapter 1 . 7/25/2014
Now that is some messed up shit... This is really good... I am definately going to read the sequels...
Sincerely Athena chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
...definitely reading the sequel.
ivebeenheresince2005 chapter 1 . 3/10/2014
I love the characterization here of the whole Akatsuki. I loved your Orochimaru, I feel like he popped out of the manga for me here. Deidara and Sasori too. Please continue writing more. :)
iFriut chapter 1 . 2/1/2014
This was so good! Ermahgerd! Keep writing writer :D
Chibara-san chapter 1 . 1/30/2014
Great story, I always wanted to read something about Orochimaru and Sasori and their time in akatsuki. Two highly intersting characters. Thank you :D
swallowinthetwilight chapter 1 . 1/21/2014
So I *finally* finished reading this, and it did not disappoint. I think my favorite moment in the whole fic was when Deidara refused to blow up the last prisoner from the inside with his bomb. The scene is an obvious echo of the scene where Orochimaru manipulates Sasori into having the daimyo's daughter kill her father with his puppet strings, except here, Deidara doesn't rise to the bait-he deliberately stops 'playing the game.' For one, Deidara doesn't care what Sasori thinks of him - he's not like Sasori, who unconsciously looked for Orochimaru's approval (and still does, since he's unable to let go of him), so he has nothing to prove by 'playing the game.' In fact, I think once you decide to 'play the game,' you've already lost; Deidara ironically, 'wins' because he doesn't fall into that trap. It's a shame that this scene didn't have MORE of an impact on Sasori, because it's really showing Sasori the key to his cage, but it's in keeping with the way you've written Sasori here and your overall understanding of Sasori in canon. I know from your Tumblr meta discussions that you distinguish Deidara and Sakura by the fact that Sasori was never really influenced by Deidara's POV, whereas Sakura really made an impact on Sasori in canon and changed him. Obviously that's reflected here, and very convincingly. Perhaps it's too soon after Orochimaru's betrayal for Sasori to be able to take a step back, but I think the real reason is that Sasori is someone who has tunnel-vision and lacks self-awareness. Although Sasori had, as a result of his childhood isolation, decided never to depend on anyone, it's only *after* Orochimaru abandons the battlefield that Sasori realizes he has made that same mistake - the mistake of coming to need someone - and even then fails to realize that that need, his loneliness, will never go away. It's also fitting that Itachi, on the other hand, understands Sasori's emotions more than Sasori himself; in Aces & Eights the contrast between Sasori and Itachi is so well-done, one only being able to lie to himself, the other only being able to lie to others, and clearly you had that groundwork set up here. Itachi can see what Sasori cannot.

In general, I absolutely LOVED the characterizations of every character here-so complex, and real, and just fascinating-and of course there were several other scenes that were amazing-the daimyo's daughter, obviously; Itachi's genjutsu on Kisame (so brilliant that he only had Kisame under, letting the others see what he was doing); and all the Deidara scenes were SUCH a great shift from the rest of the story (comic relief is the wrong phrase, but). I also loved the little introspective snippets on what the game is and the whole game metaphor. I'm afraid I can't quite do this fic justice in a review (as I felt with Aces & Eights) but TL;DR, everything was brilliantly done. I'm VERY excited to start Zero Hour, although I may be slow-going. These fics are the kind that warrant savoring, so I'll be ruminating a bit.

Thanks for writing, and I look forward to all your future updates! I just think it's amazing that you have so many complex, amazing plots going on in your head at the same time, so whichever story you update, thank you in advance (and good luck with law school)!
LimitedEternity chapter 1 . 11/14/2013
I love how Deidara didn't give in to Sasori, when that came up I just couldn't picture him doing it. Also this story has wonderful flow, and it was interesting to see how Orochimaru twisted Sasori without laying a hand on him.
PsychoPyro chapter 1 . 10/15/2013
I'm sure this review is severely late, but I couldn't bring myself to read such an amazingly written fic and not give some sort of reply to it.

I don't even know where to begin honestly. You're writing is splendid. Captivating. Chilling. Those are just a few adjectives that manage to accurately describe how beautifully twisted this piece is.

Your words flowed fluently, gorgeously, painting a realistic portrait of each character and their intentions and personalities. I loved how each character had their own brand of cleverness, something lacking often in other writings. Not to mention your superb vocabulary. I found myself having to search the definition of a few words; something that does not happen often.

The excerpts between each new scene were enthralling, leaving the reader to wonder their meanings; a puzzle where you must find the relevance for each piece. To figure out what sentence applies to which character.

My favorite scenes would have to be the pivotal moment where Sasori unknowingly hands the control over to Orochimaru; not knowing that defying the Sannin's wishes would actually be avoiding the other's control, proving him wrong, rather than gaining his respect.

The other scene that claimed itself as one of my favorites is when Sasori attempts to coerce Deidara into the same situation as he was with Yui. The sheer anger and defiance displayed by Deidara was exhilarating. Most authors, or most I've read, don't portray Deidara as half the willful, defiant being that he is.

That defiance is what makes Deidara who he is; strong, fierce, impulsive. The embodiment of passion and will. That's one reason I adore him.

Contrast is beautiful; that's why Sasori and Deidara are my favorite characters. Everything about them clashes. Appearances, personalities, artistic views, ideas, thought processes. Yet, they're still bound together by similar goals.

This fic will forever hold a place in my mind. The contrast between all the characters was phenomenal. I can't express enough how stunning this was to read. Words simply can not express the the awe I have for your writing.

I wish I could say more, but I'm sure I'd be over doing it. There is just so much to love and compliment. I don't typically gush like this, so that's testament enough.
ProfileDeletedPermanentely chapter 1 . 10/11/2013
Great story, can't wait to read the sequel
Gal Can't Help It chapter 1 . 10/1/2013
Brilliantly done. I'm not one to gush, but this story was seriously making me reconsider... I always wondered what the Orochimaru and Sasori partnership in the Akatsuki would have been like, and your darkly disturbing interpretation is probably the closest we'd ever get to the canon situation. Your style of writing by setting up each scene with ominous undertones - gave me the creeps at one point in particular. And I mean that in a good way. It was also interesting to see two strong personalities playing one against the other for most of the story, how that power play lingered on long with Sasori, and the end result of Deidara with a much stronger will than I would have thought to give the character credit for. Great story, thanks for writing it, will definitely read more of your stories here on in.
Adrammelech chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
I don't know why, considering how I hate Orochimaru stories, but this one seems to stick. Every now and then I read Schadenfreude. There is a flavor to it that I can't help but like(probable because it's not smut between two men). Overall, I enjoy the characters and the writing pattern.
48 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »