Reviews for GIJoe Secrets: Part 2
AA - MamaBirdCat chapter 7 . 3/19/2013
Wow! this is rough to even comprend..

I know Shana will be found but I can't imagine someone being willing to subject themselves back into this life as Cam is..
Guest chapter 19 . 12/22/2012
This is in answer to Huest's review of Chapter 19:
As my exposure to GI Joe previously was watchin the cartoons in secret, I've been relying on my beta-reader's knowledge to add detail to what I knew about our beloved GIJoe team. I'm going to quote what my beta-reader said when we were discussing the relative points to your review:

"Regardless of whether a person ships Scarlett/Snake Eyes, there is no denying that in the GI Joe Vol. 2 Ongoing series Scarlett and Duke had a prior relationship. It is a fact that has been referenced several times. The details of their breakup were never revealed but it seems that even though they are no longer together, they still care for one another. In Hama's ARAH, Snake Eyes and Scarlett were always together and were never shown as being involved with other people. But in Chuck Dixon's continuity (the ongoing series) Duke and Scarlett have a past."

That being said, I will say-AGAIN-that this is NOT comic continuity, nor is it cartoon. This is pretty much an AU fic with the Joes set in a realistic, plausible modern-day military setting, and with an AU fic, you can almost literally do whatever you want with them. Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Guest chapter 19 . 12/21/2012
Either stick with the comic book storyline or the cartoon. Don’t mix both because it doesn’t make any sense. What is so hard and so wrong about sticking with the Marvel storyline of them where they’ve always been together? Why much Scarlett look like a woman who goes from guy to guy so, it makes it look like Snake Eyes was her second choice/sloppily seconds or she can’t make up her mind on anyone

Let me guess, there’s no dumb love triangle to overuse where you think your writing and creating drama and tension… why do you think that Larry Hama never resorted to that type of crappy writing?
Guest chapter 19 . 12/16/2012
I'm glad you are continuing this, you are a very talented writer
Jaenelle Angelline chapter 19 . 12/16/2012
This is an answer to 'Guest's' review of chapter 19.
When a member of a military unit goes MIA in a combat zone/combat mission, there really ISN'T anything that another member of the unit can do, no matter how closely they were physically and emotionally involved. There is no way that a Warrant Officer in charge of a black-ops mission can allow a member of the unit to go AWOL in search of an MIA member without facing charges under the UCMJ himself. Remember that this is not comic continuity, this isn't cartoon continuity-this is pretty-much AU, an attempt to put our Joe team within the context of the modern US military framework. I have tried to keep this as real as possible and portray the characters as if they were actual active-duty military personnel, and this is the reality within the US Armed Forces.
Now, that being said, given your opinion of the story thus far, I appreciate your taking the time to read it despite your clearly-stated disdain for the content, and the time you've taken to write your reviews. I hope you'll continue to stick with the story at least until you've read the part where Snake Eyes breaks into a federal prison and kills Kennedy (in a particularly fitting way) for what he's done.
Jaenelle Angelline chapter 7 . 12/16/2012
This is an answer to 'Guest's' review of Chapter 5.
Shana's disappearance has hit EVERYONE at base hard. It wasn't my intiention to 'throw' Duke between them, I believed it was only fair to explore the reactions of ALL of those close to her, not just Snake Eyes, and as a former boyfried/lover, Duke has an emotional stake in this. Also, he, as a Sergeant First Class and Hawk's third-in-comand at base after Warrant Officer Faireborn, has to be involved in locating MIA personnel, as does Staff Sergeant Hart-Burnett. These reactions are going to be highlighted when Damien Kennedy's Federal trial for human trafficking of Shana and Cam starts-their love and respect for her as a fellow soldier will be exemplified in the support they show in and out of the courtroom.
Guest chapter 19 . 12/15/2012
Man, Snake Eyes is completely uesless here... nothing like in the comics... that's just sad and poor writing
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
This is an answer to 'Guest's' review of Chapter 1:
When you said that the story was ruined by Cam's appearance...I would ask if you have read the second book in this series of (soon-to-be five books):
Special Missions
SERE
Secrets (currently being posted)
Sacrifice (almost done writing at this moment)
Second Generation (forthcoming)
SERE marks Cam's first appearance as a member of the Joe team, and covers her introduction and the circumstances under which she and Shana became friends. If you have not read the four parts of SERE yet, I recommend you do-knowing how they became friends is going to be somewhat integral to understanding how Cam ends up delivering Shana and Snake Eyes' twins in Sacrifice-and a very great deal to do with Cam going off to hunt down the man who kidnaps her son and Shana's daughter in Second Generation.
That being said, I wrote the story as I wanted to write it, not necessarily to please others (as you might have been able to tell from the reviews thus far written for all three books, not everyone agrees with everything I have written, and I'm not even going to bring up some of the private messages I have gotten. But I don't write to please an audience-if I did, I'd be writing professionally, and I don't because I never could limit myself to saying only what others wanted to hear. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion, and I can't change that, neither would I want to. Dissenting opinions help me as a writer develop and grow.
Signed: Jaenelle Angelline
Guest chapter 7 . 12/15/2012
Yeah, the OC Cam is going to save the day and not Scarlett's first lover Snake Eyes...
Guest chapter 2 . 12/15/2012
This is an answer to 'Guest's' review for Chapter 2:
According to my beta-reader, Shana and Conrad had a prior relationship when they were both posted to Fort Benning. It was this incident I was referring to-since Shana has met Snake Eyes her first day at Joe base, there's been no one but him for her, and no one but her for him (leaving aside some of the hints dropped in the cartoon, which tends to bleed into comic continuity.)
Now, I watched the GI Joe cartoons in secret when I was young (GIJoe being one of those things labeled Inappropriate For Young Ladies by my mother) and I have never read any of the comics, so any references to continuity are subject to error. That being said, this is also fanfiction, and this is clearly NOT either cartoon or comic continuity (as evidenced by the lack of 'Cobra' appearances) and this is an attempt to depict the Joe team in a realistic plausible context, which gives me some leeway to play around with character background. However, that being said, if you feel that I have 'misread' her character, please feel free to contact me and extrapolate on your position-this is a fictional character, not a historical one, and so different perspectives can help me develop as a writer.
-Signed, Jaenelle Angelline
Guest chapter 5 . 12/15/2012
"Duke had been sympathetic. Shana's disappearance had hit him hard too; but as third-in-command here at base, he hadn't had the luxury of giving in to his feelings"

Why do you people always have to throw him in between them?
Guest chapter 2 . 12/15/2012
"It wasn't until months later that he realized they had begun a physical relationship. Furious, he'd called them both into his office and chewed them out. Shana had heard him out, then quietly and precisely dropped her bombshell; if he was so certain that their seeing each other was going to disrupt their working relationship, then how come it hadn't already? That led to the discovery that Shana and Snake Eyes had been seeing each other—had, indeed, been sneaking into Shana's quarters—on a regular basis for half a year! And he'd never known. It also turned up the fact that Shana and Duke had a prior relationship too."

That never happen... it has always been Snake Eyse/Scarlett... Snake Eye was not her "second" choice... why do you have to make up crap like that? Duke didn't join the team until 1984 and Snake and Scarlett were already together in 1982 when the team was being formed. What, she dumped him and then went back to him? How in the hell does that match up with what was said in GIJoe: Secrets, chapter 17

"And there ran into an enigma named Snake Eyes. For the first time in her life here was someone who expected absolutely nothing from her. When she'd first met him on the mat after extended hand-to-hand bouts with the other Joes, his body language had been completely confusing. With the other guys she could tell what they expected of her; they saw her as eye candy, as a pushover, at first. Then, later, she saw wariness, caution, saw them expecting to find her weaknesses; a test. But Snake Eyes, when he faced her, expected nothing, looked for nothing. There were no clues in his body language that told her what he expected her to be, how he expected her to behave. For the first time in her life Shana O'Hara was faced with someone who didn't want her to be anything, anyone, other than who and what she was. It intrigued her so much that she invited him on a semi-date with her, and got to know him on that first date.

It was intoxicating. It was addictive. That complete acceptance of who she was, what she was, what she could do and how she perceived herself was in itself a mystery; and she gravitated to that, watching, waiting, for some sign that it was a disingenuous trick, that at any moment he would drop the masks and show her what he expected of her. But as time passed, she came to the realization that it wasn't a front, it wasn't a mask; he did not indeed expect anything from her. Then the helicopter crash, the accident; his rage and denial, her guilt and anguish and pain and determination to bring back the man that she was only now admitting to herself that she completely loved. And when they found that the crash had taken his voice and scarred his face, he looked at her with a question in his eyes, the same question that she had asked everyone her whole life; can you accept me as I am? Even flawed and imperfect, can you accept me as I am?

And she had never even had to think about the answer. Yes. She accepted him the way he was, just as he'd accepted her; no reservations, no guilt, no expectations. Well, almost. He had only ever expected one thing from her, one small thing; it had been a huge lesson for her, in the most unexpected of places, the most unexpected of ways, but she had learned to be a chameleon, and in the end this one small expectation he had of her wasn't that hard after all.

He wanted her to give up control around him; to give up her masks, the faces she'd become an expert at putting on as soon as she figured out what was expected of her. For him, she gave it up—and found a freedom on the other side of that, a freedom that she had never before experienced, not with her beloved father, her brothers, her career, her commanding officers. With him she could truly be who she was, and in that moment somewhere deep inside her she knew that he would be the only man for her, ever, for the rest of her life."

It doesn't make any sense

"Hawk had long since given up wondering how it worked, or why it did when they were such opposites"

There not opposites at all... you understand nothing about these characters... not a thing
Guest chapter 1 . 12/15/2012
The story was ruined by the OC character Cam... it just takes away Snake Eyes and Scarlett's moments
Bronwynn chapter 19 . 12/15/2012
It is disturbing how he talks about Shana, 'the Testarossa', as if she is a possession. It is hard to imagine any human being thinking that way of another. The background on Damien Kennedy was quite telling and the fact that he is so wealthy worries me. Having a private plane and a private island at his disposal makes this sick hobby of his easy to hide. Hearing his plans to transport the women made me cringe. I'm sure I will grow to despise Damien Kennedy the more we get to know him.
Bronwynn chapter 18 . 12/15/2012
The treatment of the women during this 'auction' was barbaric. I'm relieved that the women were not separated during the process. Although we haven't seen much of their 'buyer', Damien, the fact that he would purchase human beings tells me that I already hate him.