Reviews for Round and Round the Garden
englishtutor chapter 1 . 2/19
Oh, dear. That last line. My heart breaks. But Mycroft is a sweet big brother.
frankannestein chapter 1 . 10/27/2014
I don't always enjoy children in fiction. I feel like authors tend to treat them heavy-handedly. That is not, however, the case here. I abruptly felt less sympathy for Mummy here. Her speeches are small, and migraines are no joke, but there was just something there . . . something about Mycroft becoming a surrogate parent for Sherlock that didn't sit well with me, even if he didn't see it that way. I like how easily this impression manipulated me as I read.

I adored how Mycroft summed up Sherlock's abilities, too, especially with his little brother putting his own spin on the game. Adorable points!

Anne
George J. Valtom chapter 1 . 10/19/2014
Oh my gosh, this story is just adorable. I'm an older brother myself, and this just takes me back to when my brother and I were little, and I'd always try to trick him with tickle games like this. XD Ah, nostalgia...

"He didn't realise that the point of the game was to be tickled, and had decided that the point was to avoid being tickled as much as possible. Trust Sherlock to put his own spin on things." I love how Mycroft, even as a kid, always thinks in such an austere manner. Just the way he words things, you'd expect a full-grown adult. It's so funny!

"Mycroft Linwood Holmes, I am talking to you." Uh-oh, the full name got brought out. It's kind of sad how their mother got really snappy, but at the same time I wouldn't be in the best of spirits if I had a migraine.

Aw, little baby Sherlock trying to put on his clothes. Again, memories, of my own little brother trying to dress himself. I also tried saying "Go ahead and try it yourself", before finally giving in and helping him.

"One of Sherlock's very first words had been quietly." Aw, that's sad. :/ I guess their mother REALLY doesn't like noise.

Well, excellent job here! Anything that can make me go all mushy with memories of my past gets a double thumbs up from me!
clicketykeys chapter 1 . 5/31/2014
Ugh, this is just TOO adorable, really. I love that Mycroft is already being placed in charge of his younger brother, and I love the way he approaches it - he's so patient, but also recognizes Sherlock's unusual abilities and he raises his expectations accordingly. I don't detect a single hint of resentment from Mycroft, which (given his age) is just unbelievably sweet. I want to give him a big ol' hug!

The one thing that surprises me is that "quietly" was "one of Sherlock's first words." I know why you put it in there, and it fits the story, but the word has several sounds that are very challenging. It reminds me of A Wrinkle in Time, when Charles Wallace didn't talk for a long time, but when he did begin talking he was much more advanced than anyone expected. But I've always been uncomfortable with situations like that. How is a child going to be able to produce sounds that he hasn't practiced?

You do a great job of mirroring their relationship from canon; even as an adult, Sherlock has some very childlike traits - his focus on one particular event or issue, his self-absorption, his need to do things right now. Mycroft is the successful, responsible one, who has done quite well for himself. But he still has to keep an eye on his younger brother!
seanaface chapter 1 . 5/12/2014
I love your stories! Make Sherlock 13mos in this story though...mycroft and Sherlock's conversation is a VERY verbally slow 2almost 3year old. Like time for intervention slow. It would be impressive for an under 18 month old
becgate chapter 1 . 4/29/2014
Loved it! !
SiriuslyPeeved chapter 1 . 10/18/2013
I loved this one as much as "Brother." Mycroft's style of "caretaking" later in the brothers' lives makes a lot of sense when you consider this might have been the way the boys grew up. My heart broke for all three characters in this story - for the mother who couldn't connect with her children because of her own emotional problems, to Mycroft left caring for a toddler as a young teenager, and for little Sherlock who has no idea this isn't anything but normal.

I probably over-identify with Sherlock and Mycroft's mother because I know how you can get going down that path without intending to, and having it be so hard to resume true responsibility for your children on the way back out.

Mycroft telling two-year-old Sherlock "you're too old for help" - ouch, my heart. Teaching a toddler to tear apart the process of putting on his own socks and trousers - ouch, my heart again. It makes me wonder how Sherlock gets along while Mycroft is at school - perhaps you cover this in a later installment.

Again you have done a beautiful job mixing brotherly love with the underlying deprivation and neglect of the Holmes boys' childhood. And again, I have to go read something fluffy to cleanse my brain before I write something where everyone dies!
RandomNumbers523156 chapter 1 . 9/11/2013
Hm, from what I read from their characterization in the last fic, it’s important to notice that Mycroft and Sherlock, in spite of being totally different people, are still brothers that care for each other, and I suppose Mycroft has to take the role of surrogate dad.

I think it’s amazing that Sherlock is a prodigy child, capable of understand what is a migraine and being two years old, but not being able to spell it (after all, he’s just a child). But when Mycroft explained that’s better to not make noise when she’s like this makes me wonder if that’s the reason why he’s not talkative in the last fic I read. And, interesting that one of his first words was ‘quietly’. That’s very unusual, I mean, normally people say ‘mommy’ or ‘daddy’, but considering their situation, it makes sense that these wouldn’t be his first words.

The writing is excellent, and it’s interesting that you added his (not so) baby talk. I guess I’ll end up watching Sherlock someday to understand how their character development happened.
Rainie Skyes chapter 1 . 9/2/2013
One of Sherlock's very first words had been quietly. - I feel that last sentence sums up the situation perfectly. The interaction between the boys is very touching. Mycroft trying to be so grown up, still so young himself. But a natural parent in a way, his own way. He's teaching Sherlock how to survive. Sad, but very brilliant. Well done.
jack63kids chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
So, when did Mycroft stop being such a delight!? So touching, that he's spending time with his little brother and being so patient, teaching him stuff and letting him make his own mistakes. You can see how Sherlock is learning to use his observational skills already.

'One of Sherlock's very first words had been quietly.' - Aw, that's heart rending! Blinking Mummy!

'rompers' - more likely romper suit in England at that time. Aw, I can just see him.
'Zipper' - just zip in England. Not that is matters, but know you're interested.

And another shot at looking at the rise and fall of the Brothers Holmes. A tragedy in several acts.
Esther Huffleclaw chapter 1 . 8/28/2013
This is so sweet and so sad. I love the interaction between the brothers, and I love how close they are, but it’s just so sad. It seems that Mycroft is raising Sherlock, which is really not fair. But he’s doing such a good job.

My favourite bit is when he teaches Sherlock to figure things out for himself when putting on his pants. That could seem cruel, but I don’t see it that way—I think he’s just trying to help him learn to be a grownup. Of course, Sherlock is too young to be a grownup, but then again, so is Mycroft. Again with the sad: these boys have to be so much older than they are.

I grinned at Mycroft’s comment about the T-Rex not actually looking like the cartoony picture on the shirt. That is so in character.

And the last sentence hit me right between the eyes. You definitely have a talent at writing sad.
magentacr chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
Aww, another sweet one. I liked Mycroft telling him to think how to put his trousers on. Hmm, thier mother doesn't appear to care much for Sherlock. Will be interesting to see how this delevops (totally planning on reading all your storys through in order)
rosieiswatching chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
"Look at the trousers, look at your legs, and think how you can put them on properly."

Hee hee, Mycroft's so demanding. Adorable scene. I'm starting to love Kidlock.
Melaszka chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
Adorable! A touchingly maternal Mycroft and the detachment/irritability of Mummy makes for a really interesting dynamic where Mycroft has to step into the breach. I particularly like the way that he's not too lovey-dovey and demands high intellectual standards of Sherlock, even at two! But the way he tries to shield Sherlock from Mummy's displeasure and his obvious pride in the things he has taught the toddler are really moving.
reminiscent-afterthought chapter 1 . 8/14/2013
I think I understood a lot more of the characters in Brother than After the Fall, so maybe I should continue on chronologically.

What a cute beginning. It's a little odd to hear Sherlock giggling, but they are kids here, even if they aren't like normal kids.

[But he was home for the summer holidays, and had no friends living close by; one had to make do with what one had, and he had a brother on hand.] - things like this do make me feel a little sorry for Sherlock, but he's just too adorable right now to think that.

[Trust Sherlock to put his own spin on things.] - this sounds like something someone would say in dialogue as opposed to in narration. Perhaps "Sherlock could be trusted to put his own spin on things"?

The age differences were portrayed very clearly as well, as well as the effect of an adorable little two year old on even a grouchy old guy (not that Mycroft's right there yet).

And watching him trying to dress himself is really cute as well; sometimes it's hard to remember this is a two year old we're talking about, but you always manage to bring that back to memory quite nicely.

I wonder what's with those migraines. They seem to be a strong part in their lives, particularly with that last sentence.

A very cute fic overall. Now I'm wondering if they'll have fun at the park. :)
47 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »