Reviews for As We That Are Left Grow Old
theHuntgoeson chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
This is an amazing piece of writing. Evan usually receives short shrift in fanfic, but this beautiful, sensitively written story, gives him his due, exploring his grief, his almost overwhelming guilt, the deep affection and conflict between him and Alex. It's a lovely insight into the almost-adolescent Alex, too, exploring how she deals with her own grief and trauma, already building the walls around herself which surely contributed to the failure of her marriage, and which only Molly, and later Gene, will penetrate. But the fact that it's written with future knowledge ("At least that is what I told myself at the time." and "having made a promise I was never going to be able to keep" are heartbreaking) casts the shadow of Alex's fate over this glimpse of her youth. Your treatment of the ghostly boy is masterly - Evan doesn't see him, because he is not destined for Gene's world, but how appropriate it is that Gene, having already marked the child Alex as one of his own, should visit her as the boy he once was. And surely her premonitions of her death arise because of that "strange meeting" (to quote another WW1 poet). A wonderful piece of work.
Solo Lady chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
This is such a touching story. I really like seeing the aftermath of Tim Price's actions from Evan's point of view. How he mourns for Caroline and his love for Alex. And his fear of failing his goddaughter. And his loneliness. I like the idea of the spectral visit from young Gene, seeming to know that his existence would be tied to Alex's. All around, a very moving story.
Psamathe chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
Loved this. Beautifully written.
Siggy chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
A wonderful one-off and probably unique (or quite rare) in having Evan tell the story - a much maligned character in Ashes fanfic. The dialogue and narrative all rang absolutely true - the child Alex being a miniature version of the grown woman. And as for 'Gary Cooper' again mini-Gene in the making.

Quite lovely.
GeneHuntress chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
Lovely piece of writing, KDN - and not like anything else I've ever read here before. And the ghost was a nice touch. xx
Katla chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
Very good. I like being introduced to Evan in this way. I have always wondered about him being Alex's godfather.

You sad and/or depressed? Both this and the Sam story seem rather dark.
monkey-in-hell chapter 1 . 11/14/2012
I think you got Evan spot on; it can't have been easy carrying the guilt from his part in the Drakes' deaths and then lying about said deaths for decades.

Now, Alex's dreams and the mysterious 'Gary Cooper' - very intriguing and I can't decide if they mean this is the real Alex and Evan in the real world or a little glance into the A2A-verse. I guess it could be either or maybe even both ; )