Reviews for The Surprising Birth of Lucinda Slicker
NZLisaM chapter 7 . 10/24/2013
Ha, ha, I liked how Hank toasted how Jake didn’t ‘faint’ this time.

I loved when Jake noticed how Lucinda had not only his eyes, but his sister’s eyes as well, and how deeply it affected him. Lucinda is the perfect name choice definitely!

‘"Lucinda Slicker, I'm makin you the same promise I made your ma. I promise to make you both proud of me and to be the best pa I can be to you."’ Good on you Jake! Well spoken! This was beautiful, and I love the words Jake chose here.

What a lovely story. The perfect companion piece, and back-story, to ‘Jake’s Girl.’

NZLisaM chapter 6 . 10/24/2013
Hee, hee, of course Cloud Dancing predicts it’s a girl!

I really liked how Jake was reflecting on his confession of love to Teresa, while their daughter was being born.

‘Jake suddenly became deaf to the whole world around him, as he wondered how it was that he had fallen in love again. Nothing could knock him from his reverie; neither the pounding of horse's hooves outside, nor the clomping rush of feet as they climbed the carpeted steps and into the room. . . . . . . .’ This is such a lovely paragraph, and the perfect beginning to the Jake/Lucinda father/daughter relationship, as well as the perfect end for this chapter.

NZLisaM chapter 5 . 10/24/2013
LOL over Teresa trying to get up the stairs in her condition, to avoid having the baby in the front parlour. So funny!

It feels so right that Cloud Dancing is the one to assist and be present at Lucinda’s birth. And he called Jake ‘My Friend’. Lovely!

NZLisaM chapter 4 . 10/24/2013
‘"For a man who has not fallen off a horse in his life. . . He spends a lot of time sitting in the dirt," the familiar voice brought Jake back to earth.’ Hee, hee, I love this line, and I can definitely picture Cloud Dancing saying it. And, wow! I love how you related it back to the scene in ‘One Touch of Nature’. Also, I’m so relieved Cloud Dancing was in the right place at the right time to save Jake’s life – whew!

‘"The man no longer comes first and last."’ This line was perfect as well, and again relates back to ‘One Touch of Nature’, and the conversation between Jake and Cloud Dancing.

Aww … and I adored how Jake thanked Cloud Dancing, and how grateful he was for Cloud Dancing’s help and support, and how surprised and pleased Cloud Dancing was by this reveal.

NZLisaM chapter 3 . 10/24/2013
I loved the present scene, the drawings from the children, the cowboy boots from Hank (he must be expecting a boy as well. Typical male!), and even Preston bought a gift? He must be mellowing the longer he stays in Colorado Springs! It’s nice to see. And, the beautiful christening gown – wow! You described it so well. I could definitely picture what it looked like.

Yay! Lucinda’s about to be born! I wonder if she will have heaps of hair! If not, Sully just might have to tease Jake back, for his comments regarding Katie’s lack of hair – LOL.

NZLisaM chapter 2 . 10/24/2013
Aww … Jake recongises what a great mother Teresa will make, but at the same time, is sad over his own lost childhood. You wrote Jake’s feelings perfectly here.

NZLisaM chapter 1 . 10/24/2013
Is the story title a play on the movie, ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’? I’ve never seen the movie myself, but just curious! They often do that in TV episode titles, don’t they!

‘"How's ma boy doin?"’ Ha, ha. Like most men, Jake automatically assumes Teresa’s having a boy!

Jake’s sketch of the Slicker home in Season 6 looked way more elaborate than even the Sully homestead, and was perhaps a little unrealistic for Colorado Springs (unless it’s Preston’s house of course, since everything he does is over the top – hee, hee), so I’m glad that you wrote how they toned the house plans down.

I loved Teresa’s joy over seeing the house for the first time, and how Jake was being modest focusing on the flaws, even thought you could tell how proud of it he was. And so he should be!

Aww … you included the post from where Teresa tried to build her own fence in ‘Legend’. What a nice touch, since that was where the Jake/Teresa friendship/developing feelings for one another began. Well, maybe not for Jake since he was attracted to Teresa from the moment he first saw her, but ‘Legend’ was the episode where Teresa began to reciprocate his feelings.

Snowbird forever chapter 7 . 12/15/2012
I'm smiling and crying at the same time, this was perfect! The way Jake holds onto Lucy and Teresa...you showed so well what his parents did to him, the pain they caused and I am sure he won't do that to Lucy. I loved how you wrote Lucy catching his finger, it melt my heart when I read it! And his reaction to her eyes - okay, it's official, I am crying now! :-D What did Cloud Dancing talk about to Teresa? And do I need to say that I LOVED those two crack heads? :-D He didn't faint, hahahaha! XD Awesome chapter, I love this story so much! More, please! *puppy eyes* :-D
Maria chapter 7 . 12/14/2012
Great description of her birth, Jake supporting his wife and Cloud Dancing accepted to deliver little Lucy. Can't wait to read more of this!
Linda4HIM59 chapter 7 . 12/14/2012
Jake pressed the tip of his finger into her pink palm. Her strong grasp nearly brought him to his knees... Wow, love that. But what got me most was - I had forgotten what Jake's siblings names were! His sister was Lucinda! Omgosh! That brought tears to my eyes!
"Jake," Teresa squeezed his fingers reassuringly. "Give Lucinda a chance to live now." Wow, that was an awesome response, bravo! What an awesome finish to this story - Jake at last finding peace with the world. Loved it. Thank you so much for this story!
Linda4HIM59 chapter 6 . 12/6/2012
oh man, I didn't get the alert for this chapter! Loved how Cloud Dancing took charge in his gently authoritative way :) Love that he called the bassinet a 'fancy teepee', hehe cute! Love that Teresa was able to get over her dislike of Indians and accept CD's help. Love Jake's bumbling, hehe.

"The man has a daughter," he heard Cloud Dancing whisper next to his shoulder.
Aww, that was so sweet of CD, a way of telling Jake I think that he now respected him and acknowledged his growth and maturity.

Super chapter. Loved how Jake was so supportive of Teresa and constantly told her how much he loved her. Enjoyed it all. :)
AA chapter 6 . 12/2/2012
I just stumbled onto your story and I just had to say - it is a wonderfully touching story..
Snowbird forever chapter 6 . 12/2/2012
I can't login at the moment,so I am writin a review like this. I love it! "Dazed fool" and "tiny screaming creature" had me laugh so hard! I loved Jake's words to Teresa during the birth, you got me in tears over here! But, mostly I liked amusement Teresa and Cloud Dancing shared on Jake's account, hahahaha, crashing around the house in order not to miss the birth of his baby! XD He is a she! :-D Looking forward to read next chapter so much! Well done, girl! Snowbird forever
Linda4HIM59 chapter 5 . 12/1/2012
"Jake felt something akin to a radiating heat began to pulse around his heart, reaching warmly around his body, and filling him with an emotion he'd never felt before. Closing his eyes, he imagined a bright silver thread reaching out from his heart and braiding itself around a similar one in Teresa. He felt bound. He felt a calming peace that had never been there before."
This was breathtaking. So beautifully written. I'm so happy for Jake finding happiness. :)

Wow, Cloud Dancing to deliver the baby! This is awesome! Can't wait to read more. :)
Snowbird forever chapter 5 . 12/1/2012
Oh, I was lurking on mail waiting to get notification about a new chapter of this story! It's my absolute favorite from you! :-D Hahahaha, you got me laughing like crazy at Jake's stampedo through the kitchen,nearly falling down over kitchen table!xD I could so picture that! :-D I am surprised he didn't trip over his feet at the stairs,hahaha! He even made Teresa smile! :-D Lol, the description of his legs at the beginning of the chapter showed his state of mind-completely lost!xD Aaaaaw, I love it when he pressed his lips onto Teresa's stomach and just stayed there! And she caressing his hair until goosebumps left his skin. That was awesome line! You showed once again the change of Jake that Teresa caused. She woke him true self up. He's gonna be such a great Dad! And he still is persuaded it's a boy!xD Yeah, Cloud Dancing is here! It's like I can hear those words again: "Pinch running for Mr. Slicker will be Cloud Dancing!",hahaha,let the race begin!xD Update,girl,I love this story! Hope Jake stays on his feet!xD