Reviews for The Doctor
kayaklady chapter 1 . 11/16/2012
A well crafted story that is carefully written. It is a tale well worth the time spent reading it. I have only one quibble, since this is a significantly alternative universe tale it should have been labeled as such in the summary. I'd have still read the story but with different expectations in mind.
mariel123 chapter 1 . 11/15/2012
I loved this story the first time I read it, at the Ranch, and I still love it now. How in character for Lou, to carry on with her disguise and work her way up the ranks in what was most definitely a man's world! Lovely to have been able to bring Buck Cross into the story as well, but oh, what a poignantly sweet and sad reunion! A beautiful and touching story, Pilar. ML
brankel1 chapter 1 . 11/15/2012
Excellent job.
earthdragon chapter 1 . 11/15/2012
I first read this beautiful, bittersweet story on Writers Ranch 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it, along with its sequel "The Long Journey Home". It is obviously AU as the riders all knew that Lou was really a girl.

I can imagine Lou as an army doctor, saving lives and improving medical conditions, rather than actually fighting in a war that she didn't really support. How tragic and ironic that Kid was murdered by people from his own side (if bushwhackers could be on anyone's side except their own, that is). I'm glad that Lou and Buck at least managed to meet before her death, but what a sad ending. Still, at least Lou had a long and fulfilling life, as did Buck.

A very sensitive story and well written.