Reviews for New Beginnings (A Nathan Gardner Story)
bridgetlynn chapter 62 . 2/26/2014
This was a fantastic story. Realistic plot and technically really well written.
I probably would have read this long before now but I didn't even realize there was any 'Charlie Bartlett' fanfic (mostly 'cause I never looked). The movie itself has never been one of my favorites; and yet, Nathan Gardner is one of my favorite of all of RDJs roles. Charlie's character has always annoyed the hell out of me - I never found him 'charming' or 'cute'; if anything 'obnoxious' and 'flat' are better descriptions. But Nathan and Susan's characters always helped me get through the movie whenever I've 'had' to watch the movie. They both had depth that never got to be fully explored as they weren't the 'main' characters of the movie.
I think I love Nathan 'cause he's real. He's had a crappy time of it and he's a real character. He isn't a superhero or a thief or some other random 'special-archetype'. He's just a teacher and a dad who's had a raw deal and developed really awful coping mechanisms - and you can see without that raw deal that he'd probably have everything 'together'. We don't see RDJ play those types of normal-every-man characters often and I adored the portrayal.
All that being said I think you nailed him in this story. You perfectly captured the fragility he would have during those early sober months - the insecurity that comes when you lose your crutch for the first time in years. You got the 'Dad' part down so well, as well. Especially when you're dealing with a daughter who tends to be more on the precocious side - a daughter who's had to be the 'adult' for a long time and grew up, maybe just a little too fast. Nathan, thankfully, realizes he's still the Dad but he can't be as heavy-handed with it as he could be if he had been sober and totally responsible Susan's entire life. (Also something I'm glad the plot in the movie and in your story addressed - not all children of alcoholics hate their parents. I was Susan for a lot of years; some of us adore our parents and understand where the drinking 'comes from' and are able to still love and forgive them)
Sydney...I have mixed feelings on. I think her personality worked because she's only 31 (versus Nathan's 42). She's still young (I'm 30 so I can see where her maturity level is) and she might be mature but she's still got a lot to learn. I'm glad Nathan seemed bothered by her basically giving him a secondary vice to replace the first (ie: sex vs. alcohol) but I don't love that she was so pushy on it. Again, that comes from her past and her youth. Justifying her own logic rather then addressing the potential problem of it is unhealthy on a whole different level and makes me wonder if Syd has an addiction of her own (developed inadvertently while 'helping' David). She doesn't seem to have healthy sex drive; not that she likes sex...that's healthy. But that she turns to physical intimacy first rather then emotional intimacy.
Going ahead to read the sequel and see what happens with these two in that...
Guest chapter 18 . 7/12/2013
Freaking. Love. It. I'm so hooked, thanks for writing this! :) great job.
Court11 chapter 62 . 5/16/2013
I love it! Keep going! Maybe a wedding, or a baby in the future.
elsiegirl chapter 2 . 3/19/2013
I like the idea for this story, and yours is definitely one of the better written ones in this category! However, I am finding it difficult to follow. I think when describing action and explaining things, you do so rather quickly, assuming the reader follows. On the one hand, I can tell you have developed an idea well in your mind, but on the other hand, I have to stop and re-read parts because that development is not coming across. It is difficult to catch oneself doing this without an exercise like hearing someone who has never seen your idea read your text to you aloud. Since other important elements of your writing are strong, I would suggest focusing on breaking things down more clearly for the reader. The mantra "show don't tell" often helps, or the Hawthorne quote "easy reading is d*** hard writing". Happy writing.
brynn chapter 62 . 3/16/2013
MOOREE! Don't stop! It's too good to stop! Please update...
Jude chapter 62 . 3/12/2013
Of course! You have to keep writing, like 100 more chapters (:
the reader chapter 62 . 3/10/2013
I never write a comment, sorry, I'm just a crazy reader so I read a lot and let's say that I can't write a comment for every chapter but I think that I have to write today !Do you really ask us if you should keep writing? Of course, absolutely, this fic is great, like J.K Rowling, if you have a good story you can't stop, please do us a favor and keep writing. Thanks !
Ally Downey chapter 62 . 3/11/2013
OMG I can't believe this is the end! I love this story! Best fic ever! Yes I want more. Pretty please? :D
Jude chapter 61 . 3/6/2013
I love you fic, is amazing, I'm not a lover of fanfics but this fic is perfect ! I read the 61 chapters and I want more and more! Please keep writing!
Ally Downey chapter 61 . 3/6/2013
Wow! I hope Rick is in jail for a very longgggg time. It's getting better and better. Update soon! :)
monalisamorocha chapter 61 . 3/5/2013
WOW ! I wasn't expecting that ! I Love it, Nathan is really strong! Please keep writing ASAP ! Please, please, please !
EmeraldWings90 chapter 60 . 2/23/2013
I adore this chapter. First of all, Nathan's description is, for me, RDJ's very best look; secondly, cool parents; third, music (was that "anything you can do I can do better"?). :)
-Wings
Ally Downey chapter 59 . 2/16/2013
Lol this chapter is really funny! XD
RainbowShelby chapter 59 . 2/16/2013
I really do love this story! Can't wait to see if they go to dinner and how it goes
EmeraldWings90 chapter 59 . 2/16/2013
I *am* reading, you konw, just like I said ;)