Reviews for Darkest Before the Dawn: The 71st Hunger Games
feistyflame chapter 29 . 2/15
My god this story is brilliant! I wish I could have reviewed more, but I was taking my phone everywhere so I could read this and I didn't have the time to pause and review. I wish you wouldn't leave FF, but hey, if it's what you want. We'll miss you! :)
Nasty Nat chapter 5 . 8/15/2014
Really good story! Love your writing!
scribbledchalk chapter 29 . 7/24/2014
Since I did not not have a review for the previous chapter I will include it here. Sorry, this review is a little all over the place but I hope it makes sense. Firstly, it was great to see Violet and Lysander's wedding in the previous chapter as it provides a closure story-wise of the ongoing thread about the friends from District Five. While Violet was initially a minor character in Blood Debt, as we have learnt more about her, the image of a bunch of friends who used to hang around an Oak Tree becomes more concrete and one remembers the gravity of events Violet and Lysander must have gone through, thus rendering their ending a somewhat poignant but nonetheless bittersweet and hopeful. Sorry for these long-winded sentences! Saying that, I think what I loved a lot about these stories were the scenes of friendship throughout them (out of the arena and in alliances) in a premise which is very much dark and hostile.

Concerning the other parts of last chapter I liked seeing the character development of Jasper to someone with a more mature perspective yet still retaining a courageous spirit. In terms of Chel's part, the description of the forest was haunting and beautiful. It reminded me of the scenes in Princess Mononoke with its implications on growth and decay. (On a side note I also noticed the part where you creatively inputted Chel's love of cheese even though back then it was just something that was added randomly.) Finally Aly, while his story was a side one away from the 'hunger games' his story is quite compelling as after his speech, when it seemed like his fate was gloomy, all these events happen later on making his story-line quite large and intriguing despite him not directly being the focus of these stories.

Finally this epilogue was poignant especially since Violet's narrative voice was very raw. The atmosphere was quiet, reflective and sad considering the mentions of characters from way back to Blood Debt and the fate of many of the characters, but it feels just right for an ending. While I cannot find a word to describe it right now, it is kind of like the silent stage after all these chaotic events with the Hunger Games and also the war in Mockingjay, where there is not necessarily the 'happy' ending but an ending which captures a lot of realism. I could imagine the huge memorials of the characters in Blood Debt, Darkest before Dawn and Suzanne Collin's trilogy well and it also brings back memories of all those stories.

It's been two years since the start of your Hunger Games stories and I will miss it :( Thank you for writing these incredible array of two lengthy stories - I will surely remember all the strategic plotlines that left readers all completely shocked, characters that everyone loved, disliked, dissected and discussed all over about and atmospheres that seemed authentic so that one could imagine them well and all these such elements which made your stories very much alive.
Best of luck in your original stories and it would be wonderful to read them one day and see what characters, scenery and what intriguing plot you have devised!
Dachsy chapter 29 . 7/22/2014
Wow and it ends o_o
I like how you wrote about the fate of the characters after the rebellion. It's sad that some of them died. :( Anyway, thank you for your writing! It has entertained me for two years* and I'm grateful for that. I have to say that you are a very talented writer and I wish you the best for your original work! I'd love to read them.
* Wow I can't believe that it has been two years since BloodDebt. I remember the days when I read it - especially those morbid words - 'I light the bonfire'...that was the time when I imagined Allan as a British Choir Boy look-a-like with curly whitish hair and the picture of it in my head was chilling!

Hope you enjoy your fanfiction retirement
- Dachsy
Dachsy chapter 28 . 7/22/2014
I loved the bittersweet ending about the fire and the tree sapling.
Guest chapter 11 . 7/17/2014
you f&#$ ing idiot why the hell did you kill Brooklyn I hate you forever!
God1801 chapter 29 . 7/15/2014
Beautiful ending to a fine series. I hope the Original story you go on to write becomes a best seller! XD
Dachsy chapter 27 . 7/3/2014
Nice chapter. Looks like Ceres never got to volunteer in the 74th.
scribbledchalk chapter 26 . 4/17/2014
Sorry for the lateness of this review; I've been reading it a while before but only now have gotten around writing this review.

Thank you for another installment to your story and for keeping it up :) It is interesting how the characters are approaching this seemingly new and different kind of situation, one of which has a sense of urgency since their lives have completely changed paving the atmosphere for them to recognise the fundamental values in their life and whether they outweigh other aspects of their lives.

I liked the part about Aly and River and their escape to District 13. It kind of reminds me of those moments of desperation throughout literature and history and their subsequent which demonstrate certain parts of a person's nature.

It is also intriguing to see the characters reflect on their vision of their own futures and the differences between each character. I've also noticed a recurring theme of children and family in this particular chapter which is interesting to see that explored.
fionafairy chapter 26 . 4/14/2014
Please continue this is AMAZING
Dachsy chapter 26 . 4/5/2014
Nice seeing the aftermath of the games and finding out what will happen to the remaining survivors. And thanks for the shout-out!
Dachsy chapter 25 . 1/31/2014
Wow three alive! Nice that Jasper and Violet survived. Interesting idea with the traps. The final battle with Chel and Cal was intense - you really do like writing the district battles (ie Storm vs Chace) don't you? Pretty surprising that Chel is the victor; she seems like the underdog.
And wow it ends like this!? Is there another chapter? :o Anyhow, I guess the ending (if it is the ending and there is not an epilogue of sorts) has this morbidness which reminds me of the 'debt' that one pays to life or death. Ok I don't know how to explain myself...
scribbledchalk chapter 25 . 1/30/2014
Wow I never would have expected how this turned out in these past few chapters! Firstly I never would have foreseen that Violet, Cal and Chel would be the final three and that Chel would become the victor. Even more so, when I read it before, I was really surprised about the fate of Jasper and Violet :) Interesting new development there! When Jasper got trapped and afterwards I thought it was a bit swift as his character was interesting and written well in his reaping POV and had a lot more to explore so I'm glad that he and Violet survived :)
For this chapter, I am sad about what happened to Virgil Williams and the circumstances behind it with Kayde's mother as he was an interesting character ever since his authentically tense introduction in the beginning of this story.

Finally, sorry for reviewing inconsistently these days - I have been reading and lurking it but hadn't written out my thoughts - but also, thank you for updating this story :) Can't wait to see what happens next!
Calyn chapter 24 . 1/23/2014
HA. I suspected as much with Jasper and Violet. A trap that's almost completely hidden and requires effort to find? That's not a trap. Violet says things and then instantly dies? Sure.
Bondgirl88 chapter 6 . 1/21/2014
Every year in hunger games one or two game makers traps would turn out to be an escape from arena and saved tributes would be transferred to district 13. Am I right?;)