Reviews for This Old House
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 10 . 11h ago
Another good chapter. I like your comedic yet sweet Willie/Maggie dynamic, and Willie being unable to save her, while Maggie wants to confront her vampire captor. I also thought it was sweet how Willie was reminded of his mother at the beginning part of the chapter. I thought it was hilarious how you tackle the issue of the Old House not having a lock in the front door, causing Willie to put up with unwanted guests such as David, Vicki, and Carolyn. The scene between Willie, Jason and Barnabas was great. I like that Jason and Barnabas each think they are an expert on Willie.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 9 . 2/25
So, now we're finally at the kidnapping of Maggie. I enjoyed Willie trying to reason with his master that kidnapping the girl is a bad idea because the whole town cares for her. I like his logical argument, but Barnabas, of course, is Barnabas. I like the comedy of Willie trying to handle the zombie-trance Maggie in the phone booth. And poor Willie getting savagely beaten by Barnabas for helping Maggie. I really enjoyed this chapter.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 8 . 2/24
Too bad that the whole Vampire Club thing is over for poor Willie. It's very pleasing for him to used Barnabas' own words against him, even if Barnabas is busy focusing in on you-know-who.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 7 . 2/23
Once again, nice Barnabas/Willie interaction. Hilarious that the vampire looked up the word "pimp." I like how Willie and Mrs. Johnson are becoming such buddies. Nice for Maggie to come back into this series. Her banter with Willie was cute, but it looks like Barnabas sank his fangs into her. That'll be problematic for Willie.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 6 . 2/22
The Vampire Club is very interesting, as well as Barnabas receiving willing victims for a change. It's cute that Willie introduced himself as Igor.
IBarnabas chapter 4 . 2/20
That was brutal! This chapter shows the contrast between Barnabas ' gentleman side and his evil side. I have always thought, in horror, the scariest place is when the "evil" invades the sanctuary of a bedroom. That's the most personal and private space, and to think of it being an unsafe really brings with it terror and fear into a person. This chapter takes that concept to a new leve and really drives it deeply within our nerves with its tone and sinister mood. The word "sanctuary " was a perfect cry from Willie! Then the icing on the cake was the gentle manner in which Barnabas spoke at the end to remind Willie that he had no safe place to go. Excellent writing and mood, GREAT character portrayal! Very scary!
IBarnabas chapter 3 . 2/16
Poor Willie. Makes me so sad to see him scrounging for little comforts. Makes me think that I'm seeing him in a semi-broken state, reverting back to childhood memories As horrible as they were, they seem better than where he is now. Just as much, though, Willie's resolve and resilience is really showing as he seems to be able to handle such abuse from Barnabas much better than the last story. Who knows what will happen next? Great chapter! Loved the reference to Ben Stokes!
IBarnabas chapter 2 . 2/16
Willie never knew how much he would need that fake Rolex and how it would be worth its weight in gold now. I feel badly for finding amusement in how Willie scrambles for things before getting beaten, but, at the same time, I feel really nervous and tense. I was very engaged and entertained in this chapter! Only an amazing author can make you feel two very different emotions so strongly, and this chapter proves it. On to chapter 3!
Jane Wrigley chapter 3 . 2/13
Wonderful! I'm living this!
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 5 . 2/13
Another good chapter. Enjoyed Willie's interactions with Sheriff Patterson and Jason. Also liked Willie discovering he had his own mental portal. I'm really enjoying this link between him and Barnabas.
Jane Wrigley chapter 2 . 2/13
Delightfully interesting. Very well written with no stones left unturned for the imagination. This delves right into the dynamics of the master/servant relationship with powerful insight. Bravo!
Jane Wrigley chapter 1 . 2/13
I really enjoyed this. The details were so carefully constructed that I could finally picture the old house vividly and what Willie endured being the sole servant of the huge house that we only had glimpses of on screen.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 4 . 2/12
So, I see Barnabas doesn't believe the concept of no personal space for poor Willie. Love Willie's nightmare about the cows.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 3 . 2/11
Great Barnabas/Willie interaction in this chapter. Enjoyed the description of Barnabas' supernatural hold on Willie, especially with the mental corridor that has a door opening into Barnabas' mind. (Which is, of course, closed off to Willie.) It's pretty chilling that Willie is uncertain if he has a mental door of his own, and thus, could never escape his master. I also love how through this connection, Barnabas found Willie sleeping on the kitchen table. And Willie learning of Ben Stokes. Enjoyed Willie going on his shopping spree. Glad he's got a new bed.
Magical Irish Dolphin chapter 2 . 2/10
You certainly captured the essence of Barnabas being a bad boss. Love the line, "Willie felt he would understand better if the boss spoke like a normal person." Also, love the scene between Willie and Mrs. Johnson.