Reviews for Witches Ball
Nice waff. Not familiar enough with the source material to say more... but I enjoyed this fanfic anyway.
KageNoYoko chapter 3 . 1/4
such a pity. an entirely researched, organized and confirmed universe, and you leave it like this. On a cliffhanger that offers so much more.

Honestly, just by reading this I can think up at least 3 different one-shots that could have been done, even if they would amount to something mildly pointless. They'd be amusing.

These are the kind of stories I've found I like the most. You created a background for things, you broke the mold of the universe in question, and you did something different than the rest. And explained it, the process of getting to it, and in a way the end results of it.

I've seen a few where Marisa became a true youkai, but most of those have simply used it as a point of time, not a point of interest, and that drives me up the wall, since you would think it a wonderful chance to play with Marisa's character so much more. No, they just mention Marisa became a youkai, and glance over the how, ugh...

While disappointed that you didn't take the chance to expand this universe out through one-shots or a short story series, I can say that it makes for a good standalone story.

Things you could have done though include exploring mentioned characters and their reactions to Marisa's new abilities (Mima, Byakuren, hell you even offered up Sanae), have some wacky misadventures of the three studying together and getting into arguments (which I admit, were touched on throughout, but could have been expanded to so much more), or used it as a focal point in changing up the plot of some of the future games (You mentioned Byakuren, so that leaves any game past that point as prime materials).

Mild disappointment in it's lack of expansion. Amazed by the process throughout and the conversations. and Mystified by all of the humorous interactions.

This story deserves a 9/10.

(I considered an 8 due to spelling errors throughout, but your use of large words I don't even know the meaning of balanced out the whole thing. Not to mention I'm way too kind in most of my scores, so a 7 isn't very hard to make...I need to revise my scoring system sometime).

Ja Ne!
jgkitarel chapter 3 . 11/24/2013
Interesting. You actually came up with a way for Marissa to have something go horribly wrong, right and explained the how of it.
Guest chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
Since when did Marisa steal Tewi/Tei from Eientei? The chances of that happening are so absurd, it'd take a miracle...
SANAE KOCHIYA WHEN DID IT BECOME A GOOD IDEA TO USE MIRACLES LIKE THAT
Ebonpyre chapter 3 . 1/19/2013
I quite like this fiction, seeing Gensokyo's three greatest maguses working together towards something is a nice break to romance triangles and fighting, also I like Koakuma's mischievous personality, it honestly is humorous.
linkhyrule5 chapter 3 . 12/11/2012
Aarrrgh, I want to know what Marisa signed :P. Master of the First Spark? Ordinary Magician?

And Patchouli, for that matter, but we mostly know her titles.
Kageayamu Sakushi chapter 3 . 12/11/2012
This is really good. Please update soon
Kayne Kellan chapter 3 . 12/10/2012
I really like this story and hope to see it continued and expanded. You do an excellent job with the interactions between the characters.

Now I'm kind of hoping that Reimu will ascend to godhood, become a hermit, or something along those lines. :)
korat5 chapter 2 . 11/25/2012
good fic looking foreword to more
Caexah chapter 2 . 11/25/2012
i like this a lot, likes Alice the most but i also did that before i began to read. hope i get to read the coven's members rise in power and skill, and their life together.

ps. totally love Alice and Shanghai.
linkhyrule5 chapter 2 . 11/22/2012
Hee. I love your magibabble - your explanation of the spell was great. It also explains why magic so incredibly hard to learn - because not only do you have to take into account what your spell means, you also have to make sure it doesn't mean anything different in a different language, or different system, or different methodology...

Hee. MOAR! :P
Another Duck chapter 1 . 11/17/2012
This is certainly an interesting fic, and well enough written at that. In particular, I like Koakuma. She's both polite and readily up for teasing people, Pache included. It's also funny how while both the other magicians are usually paired with Marisa, but Koa is the one who's the most forward here. I wouldn't write Pache quite that hostile towards Marisa, though, unless it was just how she acts. She's still far more interested in a magical mystery, which is good. I also wonder what interpretation of Sakuya you're writing here.

Marisa has been described as a rather youkai-like human, so her actually turning into one wouldn't really be all that much of a change. It's a subject many authors would tackle with generous amounts of angst, but that seems to be lacking, which also is good. It just doesn't suit her carefree nature.
Ban3 chapter 1 . 11/16/2012
I loved this. Keep going, I can't wait for chapter two.
Captain Vulcan chapter 1 . 11/16/2012
Interesting. It had always been speculated that Marisa is on the verge of becoming a youkai, but this is the first time I've read a story based on that concept. And I have to say that it's pretty fresh.

Although this is a significant moment of Marissa's (now prolonged) life, I can truly understand her newfound melancholy. The way I see it, Marisa felt like she cheated herself - despite her intentions of making an immortality potion. Sadly, people are never truly satisfied and achieving the heart's desire may seem like a... well, a fluke.

It's one of those 'I've finally got something that I've wanted for so long, but what do I do now' type scenario.

Maybe being a youkai isn't what it cut out to be? Maybe Marisa is feeling blue because her doing the impossible (along with Patchy's envy) was purely by a stroke of luck?

I wonder if Hina was around when Marisa ingested the potion...

Regarding the prologue itself, it was exceptionally well-written. Your versitility is simply awesome (and rare). You've managed to mix humor, drama, personal brooding, and a bit of fanservice into this prelude alone - all the while maintaining a balance. Very... very few authors are blessed with that talent and it is the main reason behind my rant- err, praise.

Now that Marissa's a youkai, what does the future holds for her? Could it be the end of her shaky friendship with Reimu? Will the lovable Hijiri be there in her time of need? I'm anxious to find out.