Reviews for Just after Christmas
Heliopause chapter 14 . 11/28/2013
That was kind of you! :) To leave us with an extra (filmic) treat! And I enjoyed the story very much - thank you!
Heliopause chapter 13 . 11/28/2013
Beautifully handled, the scene between Mrs Blackett and Captain Curtledge. (How extremely decent both of them are!)
Heliopause chapter 12 . 11/28/2013
Oh, too true, Susan. :(

And thank you for giving Mrs Smith humanity; one ofthe thins I like very much about Ransome is that nearly everybody in his books is given humanity. ( :( I guess maybe not George Owdon, nor the Egg Collector.)

I like Peggy's distinction about 'doing accents' being different from hearing how people speak. Yes, indeed. Once again you have a great insight into and deft hand with the - not 'small' - fine details. :)
Heliopause chapter 11 . 11/28/2013
This is great fun!
I am smiling very broadly, at so many things! At "behind you!" turning up, just as I had imagined it last night, at Titty's very sage observation about the period being "olden times" (loved it! :D) at Peggy looking nothing like a young man off to seek his fortune, and everything like a Principal Boy, at Commander Walker joining the applause just a fraction of a second after everyone else. Thank you for a very funny chapter!
Heliopause chapter 10 . 11/28/2013
The discontent from Susan and Peggy is very real, and so was the registering of the shift in tones when a phone conversations is ending. :) You really do the convincing 'small' details well! (Not small at all,of course.)
Heliopause chapter 9 . 11/28/2013
:) for 'I Sailed with Chinese Pirates'.

And wow! for the action adventure! Is Mrs Smith a tenant doing a runner and stripping the house into the bargain? I race ahead eagerly to find out.
Heliopause chapter 8 . 11/28/2013
Laughing at the pantomime! and at your explanation, as well... not that your explanation is funny, but that it brings back so many of the pantomime traditions ("behind you!") which just plain are very pleasurable to recollect

And clever writing! The fun of the pantomime planning helps wash away some of the remaining tensions (I'm glad John is somewhat ashamed of himself, though) while leaving the mysteries ticking away intriguingly in the background. :)
Heliopause chapter 7 . 11/27/2013
"The girls rather unfairly...had been spared this item..." :D

A fun chapter - and a pantomime to look forward to, too! I'll save it for tomorrow night's treat. :) Thank you for the chapters I've enjoyed tonight; I'm looking forward to the rest!
Heliopause chapter 6 . 11/27/2013
Oh, great introduction of a mystery element! And clever, since it was foreshadowed earlier, and this reader just brushed right on past, accepting that Bridget was probably over-feeding, as suggested.
(Personally, I'd still be very very cautious about any involvement with John but, as already noted, Nancy is VERY generous! :D )
Heliopause chapter 5 . 11/27/2013
RUN AWAY, NANCY! Forget this guy, NOW! If this is what he is like in the green wood, what will he be in the dry? (Should I be excusing him on grounds of youth? But Nancy is also young. On the grounds of emotionally stunting 1930s boarding-school life? But won't the effects of that stay, lifelong?)

Also: Match-making for Mrs Blackett? Interesting!
Heliopause chapter 4 . 11/27/2013
I'm glad you're giving so much of John's warm-hearted brotherly birthday-present-making, because he's NOT feeling (ie to thisreader) very generous in his dealing with the misunderstanding. :( (Beautifully written,of course!)
Heliopause chapter 2 . 11/27/2013
What on earth...? What is happening to Nancy's letters?

(Love the refs to Gibber - and as before, the letters are all beautifully in character. But I have no time to properly review, because right now I need to hurry on to the next chapter...)
Heliopause chapter 1 . 11/27/2013
Oh! Is that the definition (ie administratively) of a hamlet? Well, then I don't live in one after all! :D

Which is no way to begin a review. :) I've really enjoyed this first chapter. I like the way you trust the reader to understand the replies, the cross-cuttings and the undercurrents. I very much like Nancy's generosity - which is true to the books, of course. (Pretty well all the recurring characters are good people, but I think maybe of them all Nancy is the most generous-hearted.) And all the letters terrifically in character, and spot-on in tone. I hurry on to the next chapter!
tanseynz chapter 14 . 11/2/2013
I really enjoyed this, although I think it finished rather abruptly. Possibly a little more resolution is called for?
Nankai no kyoufu chapter 14 . 4/6/2013
A terrific read. Well done.
55 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »