Reviews for The Consequences of Resilience
AllTheGoodPenNamesAreUsed chapter 9 . 9/21/2013
Incredibly late review but oh well. You might not see it but maybe you'll login and check your email and see you got a new one? Oh well. I just wanted to say that I love this story, especially the way your wrote/had Roxas' POV set up. It'd be amazing if you had a sequel to this or something.
chitty gen11 chapter 1 . 6/16/2013
wow this is a really great story, hope that you are planning to post more soon
GaLa-Mist.Unknown chapter 1 . 4/6/2013
Although the scene is all serious and all, it still has humor to it which is good. I like this so far, good job!
Sunriseonmymind chapter 9 . 1/16/2013
Okay, I don't normally go to the trouble of reviewing stories, but I also normally don't read such amazing stories with such a heartbreaking lack of reviews. Seriously, this was wonderful. You handled the theme so well, and the bits of humor and fluff throughout the first few chapters made the realization of just how bad Roxas's situation is all the more startling and agonizing. Whereas most authors dealing with abuse overload their stories with cliches and ANGST (as opposed to regular old angst; I'm sure you know what I mean), you handled the theme with all the solemnity that it deserves, AND you did artfully! I personally loved Roxas's constant inner monologue, and you made some great stylistic choices in order to properly portray his psyche. You struck an absolutely perfect balance between Roxas being entirely in denial and Roxas being aware of the relationship being not right. Your dialogue was probably some of the best I've seen in this genre, and you definitely made the right choice of not having your characters discuss the situation any more explicitly than they did; it kept it from feeling cheap, or overthought, or unrealistic. Also, the ending was at exactly the right moment. So many authors fall in love with their stories and characters so thoroughly that they'll reach the conclusion of all the major plot points and then drag the story on unnecessarily, which really hurts them. It was obvious that you had a plan and you stuck to it, and that's definitely something that I love in an author.

I do just have two tiny little critiques. First off, plot wise, I don't feel like the idea that Roxas started dating Hayner because he was jealous of Demyx, who as far as I could tell from the story, did little besides give Axel his number, was quite as solid as it could have been. It's close enough that it really didn't detract from the piece overall, and I understand that the style of Roxas's inner monologue really restrained him and how much he revealed about his motivations and history, but it just seemed a little weak. Second, there were more than a few times where it took me a few moments to figure out who was saying what. Your dialogue is pretty stripped of "he said's" and the like, and while I typically prefer when the dialogue flows with as little interruption as possible, sometimes I would be halfway through a conversation and realize that I had the speakers backward. Since otherwise your story had me totally captivated and invested in the characters, having to backtrack half a page or so and reread was all the more frustrating.

Wow, okay, this review has turned into a monster, so let me wrap it up by saying that I really did love this story, and I would love to read more from you.
J3SA chapter 9 . 1/7/2013
I just finished reading the story. It was written amazingly. I could feel the emotion in the words you wrote. Not many people can write about situations like the one you have written about and make it a masterpiece. You've just done it.
Xoxoroxas chapter 9 . 1/2/2013
This was epic!
AsInspirationFlows chapter 9 . 12/29/2012
This story made me so sad in a good way! Please update soon!
Takara yume chapter 9 . 12/28/2012
Awww it ended so soon../sob/ but it was definitely a nice piece, I enjoyed reading this a lot. ; 7 ; am so glad you updated really quickly too. ; 7 ; Ahh Hayner deserved what got to him, mnn and Axel-you-shjvasfja/cuddles poor Sora and Riku as well. Amazing story. ; 7 ;
Kaoru-chibimaster chapter 9 . 12/27/2012
Beautifully done chapter! I think you really captured the mood best by keeping it short. Nothing was over-exaggerated or over-romanticized and, as to-the-point as it seemed, it was full of emotion. I'm a little sad that it's ending here but at the same time, the ending was pretty much perfect. And I must say, Roxas' forgetfulness was really a blessing! Honestly, I hope Hayner went to jail! -grumbles to self- Nobody hurts Roxas and gets away with it! :3
Justice Tokidoki chapter 9 . 12/27/2012
Yep, another satisfying ending. And again, I'm sad that it's ending but I understand why this was kept short. Sometimes when you're going for a particular feeling dragging it out defeats the purpose and the length/events will undermine the theme.

I really liked this last scene between Axel and Roxas, you kept them in character according to your own universe and the canon universe.

Very well done, I usually don't read stories like this, but I'm glad I got a chance to read yours. Now I have an example of how to write a mature topic like this. Treat your characters with care, do your research, and above all...well, make an impression.

Eh, well it's not like I have to tell you that :)

Great story, liked how you ended it. Thanls for sharing this story with us. Happy Holidays and may the new year bring you fortune.
AsInspirationFlows chapter 8 . 12/24/2012
Yay! Christmas Eve update! Please keep writing! I love it!
Justice Tokidoki chapter 8 . 12/24/2012
I almost don't know what to say. Truly. This chapter was just so...so...it left me speechless the first time I read it. All of Roxas' hidden emotions and guarded excuses come crashing down in this chapter, and he is truly overwhelmed by this point. And Sora was the one to break the wall, so to speak. It was already crumbling anyway, Sora was just the battering ram that brought it all down.

It's really tragic and sad that even with Roxas in the hospital (with IV tubes no less) he still tries to escape to get home, still thinks of the things he could be doing that would upset Hayner, just...coming up with all this stuff in his mind to hide the truth.

It really is a cycle, a circle of reactions. And given by how easily he does it, it's obvious that Roxas has been in this situation for a while. I guess I didn't realize how long until now, and it's at this point where Hayner has probably hurt Roxas more than he's ever accomplished in the past since Roxas was so disoriented in the hospital.

The whole confrontation with Sora and Roxas was beautifully done. Just the subtle things...like with Riku's eyes being red and Sora just going straight over to Roxas and hugging him to death. It's all woven in such a flowing way, it's beautiful both in the delivery and it's hidden tragic truths.

I was actually scared for Roxas during their fight. It's obvious that he's overwhelmed and confused but Sora is also extremely angry (for his sake) which results in all the yelling and whatnot. I'm glad that in the end they simply cried together in each other's arms (there really wasn't anything that they could do at that point) because I was expecting worse as the shouting went on.

And the only thing I could catch as far as grammar was this sentence right here. It's so small and nitpicky that I almost feel like a meanie for putting it up:

"He almost killed, you Roxas!"

It should be, "He almost killed you, Roxas!"

Yeah...that was the only thing I could find, and I had to read this chapter twice (more because of the sheer epicness of it and also to confirm the mistake and see if I could find more...).

This story is really inspiring for me as a writer. You handle this subject really well and we can all see the hard work and effort put into it (along with research). When dealing with mature topics like this I think readers appreciate it when you do it realistically and with care. We can relate to it more and it's easier to read.

Anyway, not much else to say except for the fact that you continue to inspire me with everything you write and I'll be sad when this story ends.
Kaoru-chibimaster chapter 8 . 12/24/2012
What?! This beautiful story is ending?! And so soon?! Awww ... well it was enjoyable regardless. I've read few stories that kept me on my toes like that; waiting to see what Roxas would tell Axel and Sora, waiting to see what Hayner would do to Roxas, and, of course, that last cliffhanger! Now I'm torn between wanting the last chapter and not wanting it to end. And I really want to see Axel's reaction to Roxas's hospitalization as well as, as much as I like him in the game, Hayner getting what he deserves! Merry Christmas by the way (unless you're not christian in which case, happy holidays)
The crows eye chapter 8 . 12/24/2012
I can't wait to find out what happens next I red 1-8 and am very impressed at your writing style
Guest chapter 7 . 12/21/2012
This story is excellently written and this chapter especially has been very well done

Your portrayal of a DV victim is spot on and very impressive. There is a maturity and an educated air to your writing - you appear to have done your research and it has most definitely paid off. There have been DV fics done previously but this, in my opinion, is the best. I love the subtleties and hidden meanings behind your words and I feel that each chapter I read adds layers to the individual characters.

Another small comment would be that I really enjoy the pace of the story - I think that a lot of fics seem to present problems with a "lets fix this on one chapter" sort of attitude but I believe that the way you're setting the scene and not rushing any dramatic plot is incredibly effective and keeps me anticipating the next update.

Loved the ending for the latest chapter - a real gut twister which I haven't had since FCATFZ ended haha
Happy Christmas and keep writing!