Reviews for Powder Burns
Rachelea chapter 1 . 4/9
Beautiful imagery, I really like this. It really captures the sense of John easing into being comfortable with his new flat and flatmate. It feels a bit alien, but also a bit like home.
englishtutor chapter 1 . 2/19
Very well described. My husband is a police officer, and so often prowls about the house, "just checking". You did a great of portraying a man being so very aware of the reality of the dangers of this world, and the realities of the consequences of that danger. Well done.
AudreytheAwkward chapter 1 . 11/6/2014
Great hook. I felt that I was instantly in their flat; the scene was set up so beautifully. I actually wanted to be there.
I think that overall, this chapter gives off a really great aura of John not really being very familiar with Sherlock yet. His musings on the light switch, and connecting it to Sherlock's deductive reasoning added to this.
I would caution that it's hard to smoothly read over John's observation of Sherlock dreaming. I had to read it two or three times before I grasped what you were saying...maybe I'm just a bit thick, but there it is.
I love the imagery of Sherlock looking boyish as he sleeps. However, I think it would be even more effective if you removed the word boyish all together...let the power of the word painting speak for itself?
Lovely chapter...I'm excited to keep reading.
becgate chapter 1 . 4/29/2014
Wished there was more! ! Loved it! !
jack63kids chapter 1 . 4/20/2014
There are too many great little moments in this to mention them all. John's musings are hysterical - the toilet cistern is classically mad but understandable. That he talks to himself later at night is a given. That Sherlock talks about purple jaguars is now part of my headcanon!
Giraffes Sent Me chapter 1 . 3/15/2014
I liked this a lot. I like your style of writing, and I like the little explorations of scenes between scenes. I've often wondered what happened that first night after they came back from the Chinese resturant. Well, now I know...
Rainie Skyes chapter 1 . 9/8/2013
I love how the darkness of the flat echos John's emotions. Don't know if that was intentional, but that's what I got out of it. The part where John is trying to cover Sherlock up is really nice. Kind of shows that John 'gets' Sherlock even though they haven't been flatmates for very long. Nicely done. :)
magentacr chapter 1 . 8/27/2013
Lol, what a strange dream Sherlock is having. Sweet that his sleepy brains automatically interprets the blanket being giving back to him as being Mycroft's work. John checking the flat was funny to. Of course it would take him a little time to adjust. His guilt was very in character, and his reasoning on it.
Hmm, you would have thought Sherlock would have antiseptic, althoguh you're right, it's probably just stored somewhere unusual. It's illogical to most people, but i'm sure he has his own logic to the disorganised flat.
rosieiswatching chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
"Sherlock looked pitifully boyish for a moment. Cherubic curls all over the place. He'd been wearing his coat for most of the night and, for the first time, John was really struck by how unnaturally, almost painfully thin he was- the physique of a starved whippet".

Perfect description of Sherlock. But poor John. A very thought provoking and vivid portrayal of the effects of war...
Melaszka chapter 1 . 8/15/2013
Beautifully written and explores John's psychology so well, from the methodical way he checks the flat for hidden dangers to the lingering guilt that he's killed a man with children. Fabulous details, like the strange noises that keep you awake in a new flat. Sherlock lecturing himself in his sleep was adorable! You're a superb writer who really knows how to inhabit a character.
cHoCoLaTe-RuM chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
Your description of Sherlock sleeping was absolutely precious. Loved it!

all the best
PhoenixFeather0198 chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
Ooh very good I like it :)
Aiko Isari chapter 1 . 5/8/2013
Even with all the lights out, the flat was never really dark.- Is that secretly a metaphor for there always being a hint towards the truth? I think I'm just reading way too much into things. Hahahaha

Just in case.- In case a Sherlock experiment came alive in the night, yes. And attacked Mrs. Hudson.

About purple jaguars, apparently,-... They are secretly on his boxers.

...their abiding love for snails.- *giggle* I wanna know where this idea came from. Were these from your dreams Eddy?

Sherlock looked pitifully boyish for a moment.- Well, he never exactly grew up properly.

"Thank you, Mycroft," - You thank him more in your sleep than you do in your waking hours. Such a perfect little brother.

But I didn't know he had kids.-That's the worst part about a murder. Everybody's got something to leave behind, even if they don't think about it.

the phase of the moon or something.- It is obviously having to do with the half moon and the pressure of your fingerprints on the switch. DUH.

To be fair, logic isn't always Sherlock's thing. :D
mrspencil chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
A scene expertly painted in words.

The tone of the piece is spot on, the quiet activities and thoughts beautifully realised. That last action of John's says it all.

Impressive.

Mrs P:-)
patemalah21 chapter 1 . 4/16/2013
I love your writing style. I can just see John sitting in the kitchen working on his fingers.