Reviews for By Your Works: Myria LeJean Book 2
Luna Rapunzel chapter 1 . 7/31
Hello! I'm the Event Coordinator and a moderator over at The Reviews Lounge, Too, where as you know your story From Dust to Flesh was featured in our Book Nook event. Now that the event is wrapping up and Dust has "graduated" from our archives, I thought I'd give the sequel a peek to consider adding it to our WIPs archive, and after reading this chapter, I'll definitely be adding it in!

Disclaimer: I neither know the fandom nor have read the prequel story, so my background knowledge is super scarce. I'm vaguely familiar with the plot and with who Myria and the Auditors are from doing quality checks on Nook reviews, though!

My FAVORITE thing about this chapter was the narrative voice, which based on my super limited knowledge seems to be that of the Auditors situated as an omniscient narrator? Either way, you extremely clearly articulated the voice and personality of the Auditors through the way you described the action and characters throughout the whole chapter, and I appreciated that even more so because the Auditors were so unintentionally hilarious in the way they worded things. For example, one of my favorite lines in the chapter was [Susan appeared to be successfully fighting off an acute attack of sympathy] - that's just such a brilliantly funny way of phrasing it that really conveyed the Auditors' attitude that emotions like sympathy are some kind of affliction.

The footnotes were a huge highlight for me, too. The fact that you even included footnotes lines up really nicely with the very severe and emotionless persona of the Auditors (of course they'd stylize themselves like a textbook if you were to represent their view of reality in writing), and the first and third footnotes especially were great instances of dry humor. The portrayal as teachers' "survival rate" as inversely proportional to how easily distracted one is was really clever - because you put them in a mathematical relationship and because it's so /true/ in a hilarious way when you think about it for primary school teaching (especially the idea of teaching elementary school being a dangerous profession difficult to survive if the students are ill-behaved).

Obviously I'd understand the characters even better if I'd read the prequel first (which is on my reading list! but realistically speaking I'm in the middle of so many stories that it'll probably be a while before I get around to it haha), but I do want to comment that I think you did a great job of introducing the characters even to readers who hadn't read the prequel. One of the marks of a really good sequel story is if you can subtly work in explanations of things from the prequel to help it stand independently as its own book without sounding like an info dump, and I thought you did a really nice job of that with how you laid out the three characters and your explanation that Myria didn't have human emotions until recently and of her powers to bend reality to her will.

Really, really nice start here!
Gordon the Gofer chapter 8 . 6/1
thats a nasty cough you have there...
Big Cat chapter 63 . 3/13
That was long!

Look, I love good stories, though I hate reading long many chaptered stories.

BUT! This was so good, that was not a story, that was an epic of characters, stories, times, action, wolds and univerces. I loved it till the last word.

Still... too long story that could be much smaller and more effective. Don't hate me! I said I loved it ;)
Tanyeera chapter 63 . 12/8/2014
Oh wow. Awesome story. Very awesome. Just read it all after starting on From Dust to Flesh this morning. Held me captivated the whole way. You, sir, are an amazing author.
Madjedjjlill chapter 63 . 10/12/2014
Wow ! That was amazing ! Sorry I didn't review each chapter but I just couldn't put it down. Your characters were so well written, your story line so enjoyable.
I'm off to see what else you have written because in my opinion you are one of the best authors on fan fiction.
natzone chapter 63 . 9/12/2014
Hi! Super late to the party here...

I was actually in the middle of a Discworld book when I gave your fanfiction a glance. A glance quickly turned into a look, and a few chapters later, I couldn't stop eyeballing... I even tried to go back to reading the Pratchett book at one point, but I found myself itching to return to your story to find out what happened next.

I've been so addicted that I've even tried to sneak in a few chapters at work :)

Anyway, thankyou so much for the brilliant read. I regret that I wasn't here from the start to tell you how much I appreciated every chapter, but GOOD LUCK in all of your original creative endeavours!
skvaughnmi chapter 63 . 9/1/2014
Absolutely delightful! Your best work yet; clearly your experience is serving you well. You capture the best of Pratchett but add your own voice; so respectful of the original artist, with a touch of personal style. Well done you! Looking forward to your original work!
Guest chapter 49 . 8/31/2014
'Come-to-Om' meeting
skvaughnmi chapter 24 . 8/20/2014
"Lizzy le bomb-toms rollay!"
fledge chapter 63 . 8/18/2014
Alas, all good things must come to an end sooner or later. An extremely elegant conclusion to a great story. It surely was a most educational journey, not only for Myria and J&J, but also for yours truly.
It's still rather a long time till Hogswatch, but if I may already deposit a wish or two, I'd absulotely LOVE to hear mor about J&J's education by Miss Susan and/or about Myria grasping more of the subtleties of human life. The concept of the metaphor, for example, seems still to be eluding her, as well as that of humour(1). Perhaps you can do something about it? And I'd also be interested to find out more about that story of yours. Actually, science fiction is rather different from Discworld, isn't it. Sir Pterry's first attempts on that realm were rather abysmal I feel. Anyway, good luck with it all!

(1) Actually humour would hardly be possible without metaphors.
skvaughnmi chapter 18 . 8/17/2014
VERY clever footnotes!
skvaughnmi chapter 17 . 8/17/2014
Mort is definately one of Prachett's best; Susan & her grandfather are a couple of my favorite characters
skvaughnmi chapter 11 . 8/17/2014
Intense! And hilarious I do believe you are toying with us, sir...
skvaughnmi chapter 8 . 8/17/2014
Not only do you capture the spirit of Pratchett, the writing is fabulous! Bravo! Bravo!
skvaughnmi chapter 2 . 8/16/2014