Reviews for The Quality of Light
Nariel chapter 1 . 6/25/2007
Okay, Finch this story is TERRIFIC! If you see this, may you please resume writing more Finrod fics PLEASE!

I love them! They are beautifully written, filled with colorful vocab and last but not least, they include my all time favorite Tolkien character ever who is Finrod!
jojo11 chapter 1 . 5/24/2004
"Well, perhaps Fëanor did not steal the light he locked into his jewels, though I have not heard it say he asked the permission of the Valar. "
nice thought!
"for no one knows better than I do that Elves keep their oaths."
oh yes, he does.
" 'Remember I died because of this Silmaril.'"
though true, the phrase seems somehow odd.
I like the way you bring all the people to life...
RavenLady chapter 1 . 1/15/2004
Beautiful and heartbreaking. Full of issues to ponder as well, but I'm too stunned for that right now. I love the Edain, but for some reason (the overwhelming Turin obsession, perhaps) I haven't paid much attention to Beren. That might be changing, so thank you for this bit of insight into him. A touching portrayal of Finrod, also . . . he's another character I generally ignore, but I love him here.
Casey Toh chapter 1 . 4/18/2003
"Light reveals where darkness hides, and it is what the light brings out in ourselves, which should make us tremble."

How much truth this sentence holds! Most of the time, the most grevious deeds stem from the darkness in our hearts that 'light' stems from. Written with a lot of depth. I love the friendship between Beren and Finrod too.
emptyword chapter 1 . 2/4/2003
I really must commend you on this story! I loved how you had Beren fear the light, but then realize that it was himself and others that he should actually fear. Very good. This story gets the reader thinking. Keep writing!
jillian baade chapter 1 . 1/11/2003
This is still my favourite story of yours!
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 8/28/2002

This has REALLY captured something incredible.

I love your characterization of Beren. I really do. He's exactly as he ought to be. And Dior... despite his folly, somehow very loveable... A little brash and headstrong, but a real person, who's virtues count as much as his faults. And as usual, your Finrod is marvelous. *sniffles* I knew I shouldn't have gotten attached...

*ahem* anyway...

"But what will Fëanor's sons do if they hear it is with Beren and Lúthien, the dead that live like the dead Trees live in this Silmaril?"

What a beautiful, striking line. All the beauty and joy and tragedy and hate all wrapped up in the mess that is The Silmarillion.

Poor Beren, with all his regrets and his pain. And yet he has known joy as well. It just seems very appropriate that he is beyond the lure of the Silmaril.

Just really beautifully written, and striking. Very powerful, and very... RIGHT. This may be my favorite of your pieces... but then, I have had a decided fixation with Beren and Luthien's story since the first time I read Fellowship, so I might be slightly biased. _

Really really wonderful work!
Mouse chapter 1 . 8/27/2002
Finally I get around to reviewing this _

Fantastic (why would I expect anything else from you). Beren's reflections are very interesting, a nice antedote to the Elf glorification that happens too often. Why *do* they swear such oaths? "They do feel the need for oaths to seal this fate..." or maybe to feel that they are in control of it?

'I begin to wonder why this jewel has not turned the colour of blood, after all the lives it cost' - very striking line. I winced.

Anyway, this has caused me to do much pondering on the Elven race. I wouldn't mind a conversation between Beren and Luthien on the Silmaril, to hear *her* opinion. Beautiful, as always!
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 8/2/2002
Elven- wise? Perhaps she was, but she didnt know any more than him what to do with it. Firsty, she put it on, and this caused her death by fading, for she was too beautiful for mortal lands. And then, she gave it to her son, and that led to the ruin of Doriath, instead of surrendering it to the maddened sons of Fëanor.

Your story is very beautiful, really. It took me so long to read it because I hate Beren, but you did a great job with him there. And your Finrod is as the one you did in "Stripping it all away": wise, mysterious, and kind at the same time.
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 7/30/2002
Ok, I remember having reviewed this already, but apparently ate it (God, don't tell me all the people I reviewed that day... noooo!)

::cough:: What struck me the most in this is the opening paragraph -or at least the idea it expresses-, saying that the Silmaril shines brighter now than then. Just feel like there's something hiding in the background there, worthy of being grasped, but just quite elusive -at least to my *probably* retarded mind-. Just this idea lurking underneath the text, making faces at me... it's annoying.

And Dior taking the Silmaril, saying 'This is for Mother' quite stood out, too, because one understands that maybe, if he was unwilling to relinquish the Jewel, if was only because it was his mother's... actually, Fëanor seems like the only person to have *really* craved the Silmarils. With maybe Thingol. The seven brothers did it for their father and their Oath, Beren for Lùthien, Dior for his parents, Elwing for her family and people, Eärendil to save the damn world... And yet, yet... something's not right here... about Fëanor, and all the others... now you've stuck this idea in my head and I'll have to work it out. ::sigh::

Sorry for irrevelance to the subject.

And Elves dying for Light, and for their Oath. Of course, quite paradoxally, Immortals are the first to be willing to get rid of that wretched thing called Life, because they're stuck with it for eternity.

'Pure light cannot be sullied' ::ponders:: Is the Light of the Silmarils really pure light? Does the ultimate purity of Light even exist, or is it just an ideal?

Head's gonna burst. I find this story so ambiguous and profound... it looks simple: son and father talking together about a jewel containing the father of the world, rather an usual subject... but, it conceals so many unspoken implications... or is it just my crazy imagination thinking things up where they should not be?
le chat noir chapter 1 . 7/29/2002
::dearly hoping that balrog is not hungry for reviews again::

It was actually the first paragraph that struck me most: opening paragraphs are always important. _ What gave me food for thought was that the Silmaril shines more brightly, this time, than the last... interesting... worth thinking upon.

I have always wondered exactly how old Dior was, if he was more mortal than elven or the contrary. I've always thought of him as an elf, but here, weirdly, he sounds more like a mortal. Beren not understanding elven oaths is comprehensible, too. He's seen so many of those taken and in the end destroying those who had taken them... also gives a new light on Finrod, somehow.

Truly wonderful. Up to your standards, as usual.
Furius chapter 1 . 7/26/2002
I never really liked Beren, or rather, my sorrow for Finrod outweighed my affection for a love-crazed mortal. It seemed like Beren is less affected by the light, he is even afraid of it, which is probably very true. Strange, and vaguely disconcerting how he keeps saying "my Luthien", but he did earn her in a sense I guess, and they are married. Dior's reluctance that Beren noticed is scary, and the difference between the Eldar and Edain are really well-done, the way they perceive things. I really liked all your references to the light, and really made Beren more human, and reluctant, less guilty than I thought. There something that rings of fatality in this story that is at once touching and familiar of the Tolkien style.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 7/25/2002
OK, let's see if this time my review will show up (damn Balrog!). I was struck by how conflicted Beren is about his possession of the Silmaril - which stands out in complete contrast to the way everyone else feels about it (wanting to possess it whatever the cost). Of course, his take on the death and destruction that that terrible craving for the Light has brought IS unique, as he actually died himself as a result of it. It's ironic that he places his faith in his wife's "Elven-wisdom" to know what to do with the gem, since the wisest Elves in Beleriand were the ones who succombed most readily to the lure of the Silmaril in the first place. And also ironic that the one person who never really wanted the Silmaril, Beren (who saw the gem merely as the price of marrying Luthien, not as something he valued in itself), is the only one who now possesses it safely.

And what a nice image at the end - the idea that the light itself is the problem, because it illuminates dark things within us that would better be left unseen!

A wonderful story, as usual!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 7/25/2002
What interests me most here is the riddle in Finrod's words. 'There is, now.' What light did he mean? The light of the recovered Silmarils? Or something more abstract and personal? What did Finrod know at the end?

Finrod is starting to look a little like a Christ figure, someone unfallen who takes on the guilt and the doom of the fallen out of love and brings about a return of the light through his death.

And the last line...what Luthien does with the Silmaril is wear it, and return light to a small corner of Arda. It's hard for me to see that as the right answer, though. But I still feel like there's something here I don't understand.

Quite an evocative piece, that will keep me thinking.
Soledad chapter 1 . 7/25/2002
Aw, that was sad! It always frightens me how addictive the Silmarils are - even thogh they contain the Undying Light... something that is considered pure and good. Is it so because Fëanor shoud never have enclosed that Light into the Jewels? But weren't the Light, without the Silmarils, lost forever?

Also, the thing with Elves and their Oaths. Oaths being so absolutely binding scares the hell out of me. Okay, they swear their oaths by Ilúvatar - but would Ilúvatar really want them to fulfill their oaths even if it means to kill people and generally do evil things? Or - as in Findrod's case - abandon their responsibilities? If Finrod hadn't sworn that oath to Beren's father, would have Nargothrond lasted longer?

I know, there is no real answer to these questions. But the more I read about this topic, the more uncomfortable it makes me. Elven priorities seem to be very strange things, indeed.