Reviews for Ash Wednesday
Remember When It Rained chapter 11 . 7/15/2013
I loved this story! You described Josh in a way that was both true to the show and how he must have been when Santos became President! I love Josh and Donna and you wrote them wonderfully!

Keep writing!

Remember When It Rained
LostSchizophrenic chapter 11 . 1/9/2013
This story is spectacular. I love it (and your "Enigma Variations")...I wish you'd write more like it! Great job!
Gillian Deverone chapter 11 . 12/6/2012
A good story. I'm glad Matt got it all figured out and apologized for being an ass and I'm particularly glad Toby was there (in spirit.) I love that crusty old codger.
Gillian Deverone chapter 6 . 12/6/2012
Oh, Mr. Santos, you've gone too far.
Gillian Deverone chapter 4 . 12/5/2012
What in the h-e-double hockey sticks is going on?
Veridissima chapter 11 . 11/25/2012
Love it, really like you make Josh and Santos form a good and strong relationship (that really missed from the show, and the idea that would cause problems in the Santos admnistration, even if I wanted to win, always thought that Vinick and Sheila had a much better relationship)

And the line in chapter 9 "I was really looking forward to hearing my name from him again." from when Jed was talking to Matt just brought tears to my eyes
sassie69 chapter 11 . 11/24/2012
This story is so well written. You can see the characters in your mind without stretching your imagination because this is how it would play out if it was season 8 of TWW . Wonderful, thanks much.
elsa3beth chapter 11 . 11/24/2012
Fantastic story! I'm pretty sure I read it a long time ago when reading the fan season 8, but when I looked again to find it, it had disappeared. So glad you've posted it on . That final confrontation between Santos and Josh where Matt's yelling at him is masterful, and it stuck with me enough to make me remember the scene 2 yrs after I first read it.
itskindafuntodotheimpossible chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
Waking up with a large number of unread emails never felt so good. Another incredible story, I love the Donna/Helen dynamic and the way the women had influence over their men. Everything was just perfect as usual when you write :) Thank you!
lcf328 chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
One of my favorite of your fics, as you know! I love the way you write Santos (and Josh, of course, as always!) - and the way you have the issues in their relationship come to ahead, and eventually be resolved in a positive way. Wish we'd seen that on the show! Good job.
alix33 chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
"draped in layers of patchwork quilts and Indian blankets," - I want to know who made those patchwork quilts. I own two patchwork quilts that my late grandma on my mom's side of the family made. I use them as bed covers in summer, as they are not thick.
"and Josh had surprised everyone—even Donna—by playing "Heart and Soul" with Peter on the big piano in the living room and then teaching Miranda how to play it too," - Joanie probably taught her little brother that.
alix33 chapter 10 . 11/23/2012
"Apparently Abbey helped. And the season." "The season?" Josh asked, sounding pleased but confused. "Lent, Josh. Apparently Abbey told President Bartlet he should try giving up self-righteousness for Lent." Josh actually threw back his head and laughed. "That sounds like Mrs. Bartlet," he said. "She never puts up with any guff from anybody, not even the President." - Hehehe, I LOVE Abbey Bartlet.
alix33 chapter 9 . 11/23/2012
"he also had a sinking feeling that perhaps his response had been less than ideal." - "perhaps his response had been less than ideal", GR! I have never ever wanted to gouge out Matt Santos' freaking eyeballs than after reading that.
"It's a club, you know. We could write letters in the nuclear codes and trade secret decoder rings." - Anybody who did not see, in their mind's eye, president Bartlet's eyes twinkle as he said that to Matt cannot really call themselves a fan of "The West Wing", IMO.
But please skip the title; that's a foolish formality. It's just Jed now. Certainly to you." "In that case, you'd better call me Matt, sir." The voice on the other end of the line laughed. "Oh, no," it said. "I had to put up with being Mr. President to everyone except my wife and daughters for eight years; you'll have to put up with it too, President Santos." Matt shook his head a little, still smiling. "Surely Leo let up on you in private, didn't he?" "Leo? He was the worst of the lot. My oldest friend, and he absolutely refused to call me anything but Mr. President and Sir, from the day I took office, till—" There was a pause, and then Jed went on in a softer voice. "I was really looking forward to hearing my name from him again." - AW, that bit about Leo never calling president Bartlet "Jed" ever again, was sad.
"It was actually Toby Ziegler who told me what I needed to do, and I was pretty angry with him when he first suggested it . . . ." - That mention of Toby must have hacked Matt off quite thoroughly.
alix33 chapter 6 . 11/23/2012
Matt's rant was SO unwarranted.
I cannot and do not blame Josh for his response to it either.
alix33 chapter 4 . 11/23/2012
"Are you all right, sir?" Josh's voice was quiet, but there was a touch of warmth in it that Matt would have welcomed yesterday. Today he was too tired to think of anything except the fact that he was letting his guard down. If he was going to get the job done, he couldn't afford to let anyone think he wasn't up for it, let alone the man in front of him. "Of course," he answered, not managing to keep the irritation out of his voice. Josh's face tightened, and his voice, when he answered, had gone cool and neutral again. "You've been looking pretty . . . tired, for the last few days, sir." "I'm fine." Damn it, why couldn't he make himself sound fine? This wasn't what he needed, this grilling about himself this morning; he just needed to find out what was going wrong with Harrison and then get on to the next problem before something happened. . . . "Are you getting enough sleep, sir?" "For God's sake, Josh," Matt exclaimed, crossly, tossing the paper across his desk. "I said I'm fine. What the hell business of yours is it whether I had my beauty sleep last night or not?" "I'm sorry to have to ask, sir," Josh said, his voice still quiet, his tone level. "But if I'm your Chief of Staff, it is my business to make sure you're well enough to do your job." Matt felt the heat rise in his face. "Are you suggesting that I'm not fit to do my job, Josh?" "No, sir, of course I'm not. But it's my job to make sure you stay fit to do it, and if I think you're getting too tired, it's up to me to do something about it. I can change your schedule today if you need it, let you take a break, get a nap." Matt knitted his brows together. "I'm not a two-year-old child or a doddering old man, Josh, and I don't have MS. Bartlet might have needed this kind of coddling; I don't. And I don't do naps." "Take some time with your family then, sir? If I cleared your schedule you could leave for Camp David this afternoon instead of tomorrow. We could take care of most of what we need to do there, after you'd had a break. Or you could come back earlier than you'd planned, on Sunday." Matt sighed. Josh was right; he WAS tired. More than tired. But a break wasn't what he needed; he needed to work harder. There was so much to do, so much to get on top of, if he wasn't going to make another mistake like he had a couple of weeks ago. "I'm fine," he said again, more brusquely than he intended to. "So will you stop acting like my nanny and tell me what's going on with Harrison?" Josh eyed him for a long minute. "All right, sir," he said, quietly." - I reckon Matt's outburst there was totally unwarranted.
"He supported Matt's education plans, but he could hardly feel the passion about them that Matt did: he was from Connecticut, for God's sake, from Westport, where you'd be hard put to it to find a house worth less than a million these days, and where the worst thing the kids ever had to deal with was not getting the ponies they wanted for Christmas—or Hannukah. Though most of them probably got the ponies, and nice little sports cars later on, too. Josh had gone through Harvard and Yale and had, Matt was quite sure, never had to work a day in his life to pay for either one of them. His father had been a partner in a big New York law firm, a litigator; Josh would have gone into politics because that's one of the things smart young men with good degrees and plenty of money and connections did to make a name for themselves." - As are these thoughts of his about Josh.