Reviews for Ash Wednesday
phoenixi77 chapter 11 . 8/7
I love this story...very nice to see all the characters doing was almost like one of the episodes..
greatestheights chapter 11 . 2/24
I stayed up way past my bedtime last night finishing this and don't regret it one bit. This may sound weird, but it was just...perfectly satisfying. There's something I really love about people getting to understand Josh, but I'm especially enamored with the idea of Matt Santos getting to understand Josh. Their dynamic on the show was so interesting to me; clearly, they're both stubborn idealists who often clash (but are probably far more alike than either of them realize). I always wished that I'd gotten to see them figure each other out, and now I feel like I have. Everyone was wonderful in this story. I loved seeing all of the relationships evolve, and particularly enjoyed Donna and Helen's long conversation. As usual, the way you handle Josh's PTSD is sensitive and completely on point. I also LOVED President Bartlet giving President Santos a call, and I laughed out loud at this: "Apparently Abbey told President Bartlet he should try giving up self-righteousness for Lent."
Swan Crawley chapter 11 . 7/15/2013
I loved this story! You described Josh in a way that was both true to the show and how he must have been when Santos became President! I love Josh and Donna and you wrote them wonderfully!

Keep writing!

Remember When It Rained
LostSchizophrenic chapter 11 . 1/9/2013
This story is spectacular. I love it (and your "Enigma Variations")...I wish you'd write more like it! Great job!
Gillian Deverone chapter 11 . 12/6/2012
A good story. I'm glad Matt got it all figured out and apologized for being an ass and I'm particularly glad Toby was there (in spirit.) I love that crusty old codger.
Gillian Deverone chapter 6 . 12/6/2012
Oh, Mr. Santos, you've gone too far.
Gillian Deverone chapter 4 . 12/5/2012
What in the h-e-double hockey sticks is going on?
Veridissima chapter 11 . 11/25/2012
Love it, really like you make Josh and Santos form a good and strong relationship (that really missed from the show, and the idea that would cause problems in the Santos admnistration, even if I wanted to win, always thought that Vinick and Sheila had a much better relationship)

And the line in chapter 9 "I was really looking forward to hearing my name from him again." from when Jed was talking to Matt just brought tears to my eyes
sassie69 chapter 11 . 11/24/2012
This story is so well written. You can see the characters in your mind without stretching your imagination because this is how it would play out if it was season 8 of TWW . Wonderful, thanks much.
elsa3beth chapter 11 . 11/24/2012
Fantastic story! I'm pretty sure I read it a long time ago when reading the fan season 8, but when I looked again to find it, it had disappeared. So glad you've posted it on . That final confrontation between Santos and Josh where Matt's yelling at him is masterful, and it stuck with me enough to make me remember the scene 2 yrs after I first read it.
itskindafuntodotheimpossible chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
Waking up with a large number of unread emails never felt so good. Another incredible story, I love the Donna/Helen dynamic and the way the women had influence over their men. Everything was just perfect as usual when you write :) Thank you!
lcf328 chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
One of my favorite of your fics, as you know! I love the way you write Santos (and Josh, of course, as always!) - and the way you have the issues in their relationship come to ahead, and eventually be resolved in a positive way. Wish we'd seen that on the show! Good job.
alix33 chapter 11 . 11/23/2012
"draped in layers of patchwork quilts and Indian blankets," - I want to know who made those patchwork quilts. I own two patchwork quilts that my late grandma on my mom's side of the family made. I use them as bed covers in summer, as they are not thick.
"and Josh had surprised everyone—even Donna—by playing "Heart and Soul" with Peter on the big piano in the living room and then teaching Miranda how to play it too," - Joanie probably taught her little brother that.
alix33 chapter 10 . 11/23/2012
"Apparently Abbey helped. And the season." "The season?" Josh asked, sounding pleased but confused. "Lent, Josh. Apparently Abbey told President Bartlet he should try giving up self-righteousness for Lent." Josh actually threw back his head and laughed. "That sounds like Mrs. Bartlet," he said. "She never puts up with any guff from anybody, not even the President." - Hehehe, I LOVE Abbey Bartlet.
alix33 chapter 9 . 11/23/2012
"he also had a sinking feeling that perhaps his response had been less than ideal." - "perhaps his response had been less than ideal", GR! I have never ever wanted to gouge out Matt Santos' freaking eyeballs than after reading that.
"It's a club, you know. We could write letters in the nuclear codes and trade secret decoder rings." - Anybody who did not see, in their mind's eye, president Bartlet's eyes twinkle as he said that to Matt cannot really call themselves a fan of "The West Wing", IMO.
But please skip the title; that's a foolish formality. It's just Jed now. Certainly to you." "In that case, you'd better call me Matt, sir." The voice on the other end of the line laughed. "Oh, no," it said. "I had to put up with being Mr. President to everyone except my wife and daughters for eight years; you'll have to put up with it too, President Santos." Matt shook his head a little, still smiling. "Surely Leo let up on you in private, didn't he?" "Leo? He was the worst of the lot. My oldest friend, and he absolutely refused to call me anything but Mr. President and Sir, from the day I took office, till—" There was a pause, and then Jed went on in a softer voice. "I was really looking forward to hearing my name from him again." - AW, that bit about Leo never calling president Bartlet "Jed" ever again, was sad.
"It was actually Toby Ziegler who told me what I needed to do, and I was pretty angry with him when he first suggested it . . . ." - That mention of Toby must have hacked Matt off quite thoroughly.