Reviews for The Grey Wolves
Solo2863 chapter 6 . 4/17
Trust Roger to know the pressure at which the bottles would burst!

"...So your brother's serving on a frigate?"
"Sort of. He commands her..."
A great little exchange. I sense a combination of deprecation and brotherly pride there.

An very enjoyable read with a neat reference back to the original books in the final sentence.

The North Atlantic convoys have formed many a backdrop for fiction over the last 60 years and there are always new facets of that long battle to explore. I always felt that at sometime in his naval career John would get involved in that sprawling conflict. And, from personal experience, I can vouch for the bone-numbing tiredness that sets in after days of keeping defence watches. I look forward to any future stories about our favourite characters that you may have in mind.
constantlearner chapter 6 . 4/16
Brilliant. I love the two little moments at the end and the complete Rogerishness of Roger's actions at the end. You make him very much still AR's Roger who "had a pleasant feeling of badness, to which he was well accustomed" in Great Northern? whilst still being a Walker who therefore does the thing right and wins, but not quite in the way expected. Wonderfully vivid and well paced. Thank you.
Mjone21 chapter 6 . 4/16
BRILLIANT! A treat to read.
CHEERS
Solo2863 chapter 5 . 11/18/2013
Good story with the tension of a U-boat hunt in mid Atlantic with the CO's wife getting glimpses of what is going on by signal. That reminds me of Captain and Mrs Sherbrooke during the Battle of the Barents Sea.
There are a few pieces of nautical procedure that strike true but they don't spoil the story.
I'll PM you separately about the gun mount nomenclature.
Dogstar101 chapter 5 . 7/1/2013
I really enjoyed this story, especially the way you don't spell out what John and Nancy are feeling, just focusing on their thoughts and actions. I find it very in keeping with the style of the books and think it increases the emotional impact of events. I also liked the technical information - heavy going at times but the reward is worth the effort, just like in the books. Is this story finished? If so, ouch, what a cliffhanger!
Jacynthe Bleue chapter 5 . 5/20/2013
As always, gripping. Another technical question: why is the first lieutenant the 'Jimmy' ?
constantlearner chapter 5 . 5/17/2013
Brilliant - from cliff-hanger to nail-biter - or do I mean the other way round? Excellent which ever way.
Jacynthe Bleue chapter 4 . 5/1/2013
Terrifyingly well written and brutally concise. No waste words. Not one. The successive signals, especially are eloquent and effective. One question, though. Was it really the practice to include the sender's initials?
Nankai no kyoufu chapter 4 . 4/6/2013
rivetting
Strange Brew chapter 4 . 3/4/2013
I enjoyed this. Very technical, very wartime, very good! I especially liked the last paragraph, with the tea splashing on stockings and tears in the rain...
constantlearner chapter 4 . 2/3/2013
A real nail-biter and more than a bit of a cliff-hanger. Excellent. Thank-you.
Jen4850 chapter 3 . 1/21/2013
Well written.
constantlearner chapter 3 . 12/3/2012
Well that was an excellent treat to wake up to!
Thank you.
Fergus Mason chapter 2 . 11/26/2012
constantlearner, "sinking feeling" may turn out to be an unfortunate choice of words :-)
Fergus Mason chapter 1 . 11/26/2012
Yes, SimonC, it's THAT Bennett!