Reviews for Tales of the Hunt
BIG Z1776 chapter 12 . 3/24/2014
This was quite a story, truly amazing really. I have always had a soft spot for Tarzan, it being one of my favorite Disbey movies of all time. So to see a great story dealing with this and doing it justice is a great treat. I really encourage you to write on, the potential for a sequel here is abundant, that hunter is still alive, there is still her desire to explore, so the plot and subplot potential give you enough to create another special story. But if not, well sometimes you have to know when to leave a good thing stay as is.
iapetus999 chapter 12 . 3/9/2013
Really liked this. :)
Captures the spirit of the Tarzan books pretty well while mixing in some modern YA tropes.
Was pretty surprised that she decided to go ahead and kill a leopard even after talking to her brother.
The writing is clear and pretty vivid.
I hope your write some more stories about Tora as she grows older...and of course we need to find out what really happened to her sister!
Would also be interesting to see Tora actually make it to England.
You have a lot of possibilities in this. Keep writing!
(BTW I'm posting a Jane novel-would love to hear your thoughts)
SummerMistedDragon chapter 12 . 2/11/2013
Love this!1 Wow that was amazing!
AlexaVolta chapter 12 . 12/30/2012
Hi again Coraline - sorry for the late reply, exams and then Christmas got in the way ;)

I think I will put the story about La up on in the near future. I'm hoping to complete a new chapter soon, so there'll be a good amount online to read :D the chapters are pretty long so it takes me a long time to write each one...

Thank you for letting me know about those Briggs books, I had absolutely no idea that they existed! I'm definately going to read them, especially if the interaction between Tarzan and Jane is as adorable as you say :D

Looking forward to hearing from you by email! Also, Happy Holidays :D
AlexaVolta chapter 8 . 12/30/2012
Hello Guest, in answer to your question: My apologies, I may not have made it clear enough for people who haven't seen the animated t.v. series The Legend of Tarzan (by Disney), in which there is an episode where Jane finds a lost leopard cub in the jungle and adopts it. Tarzan does not approve, and over time the cub proves to be too troublesome to remain in their family. Jane decides to return it to its mother, so she and Kala travel to the leopards' territory where they are ambushed, but the baby leopard's mother intervienes and spares them as she is grateful for having her cub back.

Now, in my story the leopard Nanakeh was that cub that Jane found, and he considers Jane to be his mother as well as his real leopard mother, and thus he considers Tora to be his sister.

I hope that clears up any confusion :) thank you for stopping by.
Guest chapter 8 . 12/29/2012
I'm lost how is nanakeh Tora's brother?
Coraline Starr chapter 12 . 12/3/2012
Hello again!

I have no dA account, so I can't get past the mature content filter on your Story of La stuff...bummer...

You're not missing out on John Carter. Really. Do yourself a favor and read the books instead. IMHO Fighting Man of Mars is the best (seventh one) even though John Carter isn't the main character.

In case you haven't heard, Andy Briggs is writing a modern-day Tarzan series, a "reboot" for the PLayStation generation. Tarzan and Jane are teenagers look more like their original selves (black hair and grey eyes, blonde hair), and Robert Canler's character was reworked QUITE a bit (plot twist: he's also a teenager). There's no romance between T and J so far, but the way I picture them interacting is extremely adorable. You must check it out! And I will check out Maxwell's Jane, once I read the third book of Briggs' series (The Savage Lands), which is coming out in February. That series, I think, is the ultimate fanfic. :)

I liked Tarzan and the Lost City. The incorporation of actual magic didn't go well with me, but I liked the interaction between Tarzan and Jane because they were so cute!

I am having some issues with my e-mail right now, but I will send you something and talk more TARZAN once I get them worked out. :)

CS
AlexaVolta chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
Hi Coraline! How sad that you did not leave any contact information – I hope you will read this reply!

I was so very excited to read your feedback on my story and it was a great surprise to hear that you have read/seen my other, older work (though as you say – this story is hopefully much better!). I would be delighted to answer your questions.

The slap. Yes I was in a quandary about that one – still am really. I had hinted earlier in the story that Tarzan’s nature was a little different than his usual self, because of Ellie going missing. I also (and maybe this will answer another question too) try to make my Tarzan somewhere between the Disney version of him and Burroughs version – who was much more primal and hot-tempered (though not to Jane…and I would presume not to any children they’d have).

I’m not so keen on that story I wrote years ago about Tarzan, Jane and the leopard cub – where Tarzan hits Jane. This is partly because I (now) think that Disney did the story much better in their t.v. series (no hitting, near-fatal falls from cliffs or deaths in general were involved!), and partly because I just think it’s so out of character. At the time when I wrote that story my main critic was my mum, and she was giving me grief about making my stories to saccharin so I sort of went a bit over the top and wrote a story involving domestic violence – totally out of Tarzan’s character, and Jane’s too for how she reacted to the situation as far as I’m concerned. You may have noticed that I disregarded that story entirely in Tales of the Hunt, instead going for the canon version from the t.v. series where Jane eventually returns the leopard cub to its mother.

By the way, how nuts is it that Disney made that episode with such a similar premise to my fanfic!? I still secretly think they might have done some of their research for ideas for that show by looking at fanfiction ;)
Next question! About the miscarried brother (ooh it’s not getting any less depressing is it?). Yeah he still exists/existed…I think I left him out of this story for the sake of people who may not have read my earlier ones, but perhaps that was a mistake. It would also further justify the change in Tarzan and Jane’s behaviour following the whole tragedy. Perhaps I’ll go back and change the story and mention him after all…

As for Rises to Power – this story is in fact the re-written version of that! Rises to Power was going to be a parallel story between La and Tora (as you know) but in the end I decided to make the two stories separately as I found that trying to make them parallel eachother was too restrictive. Also, I didn’t like the premise I’d created for La, and though I wanted to cover the effect on Tora’s family’s lives of Ellie’s disappearance and the loss of the unborn brother, I decided to do it at a distance (i.e. just refer to the event historically in Tales of the Hunt, and then show the long term effects of it all). If I ever get round to writing all my planned Tarzan stories, the unborn brother will have future significance. Also, the Ellie-Nor story does still fit into the timeline of Tales of the Hunt – though I think it needs some re-writing ;)

Incidentally, I’ve been rewriting La’s side of the story in my ‘Story of La’ (imaginative title, I know. I think I’m going to change it to ‘The Star in the Lion’s Paw’) which is in my deviantart gallery (perhaps you’ve already seen it. It’s unfinished but another chapter is on the way).

I haven’t updated my Tarzans’ Legacy site in years but it’s mostly Yahoo!’s fault for changing the software they use to build their pages. Now if I wanted to update the site I’d have to demolish the whole thing and start again, and I just haven’t quite got around to doing that yet.

Aagh! This is so long. I’ll try to be as brief as possible for the rest of the questions ;)

I read up to Tarzan the Terrible, but not including the two books containing short-stories. I like the books a lot but I think they start to get a little repetitive after that…or so I’ve heard! How about you – have you read many?

The only non-Disney Tarzan films/t.v. I’ve seen are ‘Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan’ and ‘Tarzan and the Lost City’, both of which I liked and disliked in equal measure. I was very disappointed with Jane in ‘Greystoke’ (though I thought the…um…’bed’ scene with them was done perfectly!). I am aware of the Warner Brothers’ t.v. series but have never seen it, and I don’t like the sound of it. Have you seen it and is it any good? I’ve never read any of the Tarzan comics but I do like some of the comic-book and book-cover style art (though I’m not so keen on the body-builder type image of him!).

I haven’t read Andy Briggs (any good?) but I have read Tarzan Alive by Philip Farmer (brilliant! You can really believe he was real!), and I have in fact just finished reading Jane by Robin Maxwell and I LOVED IT! I have left a review on .uk (there are currently 48 reviews so maybe go take a look) though I only wrote it yesterday and it doesn’t seem to have been approved yet, but it was just brilliant and you MUST read it. It’s like the ultimate fanfic.

I haven’t read Barsoom or seen John Carter but I intend to do so! (Have you seen it? Is it good?)

Haha – yeah my writing does seem to be a bit dark and depressing. I seem to only be able to write stuff that is too super-fluffy or stuff that is like this, can’t seem to find the middle-ground. For you though I promise to try harder! ;) I also wish I could inject some humour into my work – that would at least make the dark stuff more bearable.

I miss Jungle Spirit and British Child’s writing too…I don’t know how to get in touch with them, and I assume that their lives are too busy for this kind of thing now. It’s a shame because we will never find out the conclusions of their stories! :(

Finding out that I have readers like you who enjoy my work and follow it are all I really need to keep me going – it’s a fantastic feeling and will keep me writing for a long time yet, I’m sure. I do hope we can keep in touch – do you have a deviantart account? I am loathed to provide my email address here because of spambots but you can always find it on my tarzan site :D

Thank you so much for this! You’ve made my day!
Coraline Starr chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Ugh! tarzans legacy .com
Coraline Starr chapter 12 . 11/28/2012
*(yes, I looked at ALL the stuff on ...*
Coraline Starr chapter 12 . 11/28/2012
Ah! This is some excellent writing! I am familiar with your other stories (yes, I looked at ALL the stuff on and on your deviantart account Ashren), and I really think you have improved since you last wrote. Which was a really long time ago.

I love this story. Wow. It's amazing. It really explores Tora's character and makes this a lovely coming-of-age fic. If I were you, and Disney ever wanted to give Tarzan and Jane a child, I would send this story right into their mailbox.

Some other things: I found the story dark. It was a thoughtful, compelling kind of dark though, and I liked it.

What happened to Tora's miscarried little brother (from Rises to Power 1)? I guess Jane forgot all about him? Or he didn't even exist. That story might be nice to revise, by the way. I liked the insight into La's character. Did Jane get over her depression? Would this story still exist within the Ellie-nor story?

I also never thought that Tarzan would slap his daughter. I figured he would have taught himself not to do that after slapping Jane in your leopard cub story. You made him a lot more...violent than I imagined. I'm not sure if it's an accurate portrayal of him after the Disney film, or if you did that on purpose? I find it quite different, that's for sure.

After first finding your stories a few years ago, I've always wanted to ask you all kinds of questions! I am a huge Tarzan fan myself, although I am more inclined towards the original Tarzan (black hair, gray eyes, multilingual, etc.).
How many of the other Tarzan books did you read (since you made it clear in Secrets that you knew about the Greystokes)?
How familiar are you with Tarzan in film and TV? Have you seen or heard of the Warner Brothers Tarzan show with Travis Fimmel?
Do you like Robin Maxwell's Jane novel? From the previews on Googlebooks and a particular 1-star review on Amazon I feel like it would just be nice to collect and keep on my bookshelf, not necessarily read...
How familiar are you with Tarzan in comics? Do you like the various Tarzan art? Sunday strips?
What do you think of John Carter?
Have you read any of Andy Briggs' new modern Tarzan novels?

By Jove, these are way too many questions. I'll let you sit and digest this huge thing before sending anything more. If you write more Tarzan stuff like this (maybe with a happier tone? Just some wishful thinking), I will review every single story! I think you just might be one of the best Tarzan fanfic writers here. If JungleSpirit and BritishChild start writing Tarzan stuff again too, that would be a blast. Seriously. I really appreciate your writing.

Please keep up the outstanding work,
CS