Reviews for The Quiet Ones
Lady-Finwe chapter 27 . 10/1
please update soon this story is awesome :)
shaywilliams4151 chapter 27 . 7/16
This is so good! One of my favorite Daryl/OC keep up the good work!
salinagriego chapter 27 . 7/8
I'm going to be honest; you're story has been one of the most enjoyable ones I've read in a very long time. The way you voice the characters is unique and you nicely weave your OC in without forcing it too much. The relationship development between Cal and Daryl is so gentle and natural. Slow, but not frustratingly so. I think what I appreciate the most is Cal's humanness. She's made mistakes. She's not Mary Sue, but still has her own silent strengths. You've done amazing work and I hope to read more soon.
Dawnie-7 chapter 27 . 6/19
It feels like such a treat to have gotten into Daryl's head so much in this chapter. As a character in general it's hard to do that with him, but even more so like this, when you're delving into his most personal thoughts - about his childhood, Merle, this whole little crisis of faith\inner self given ultimatum and all the turmoil that comes with it. It feels so special to have gotten this glimpse of him. And I kid you not, my heart freakin' stopped when he came walking through the door! I thought for sure he would be gone for the next few chapters, trying to find the answers to the questions he never knew he had or wanted or just plain had to deal with. I love how you keep having him reference to the idea of what the possibilities could be with her. Even just in general, it begs repeating, I am so enamored with this sort of repetitive style you have to your writing. Not only does it drive the point home on some things or really reveal the complexity of other things, it just feels so WD.
As for stand out moment. In such a heavy and depressing chapter, I couldn't help but find it amusing that they were all kind of watching her as if she were about to bolt or have a nervous break down at any second. Rick especially. I know she felt a bit tense under his gaze, I think inwardly she actually appreciated the company, the fact that there was just someone there. The chat between her and Carol really stuck out to me and struck me with a type of understanding I've never had before. Although I love the friendship between Daryl and Carol on the show, I could never really pin point the exact reason as to why they grew so close and seemed to have a different type of connection. But that line about familiarity, even if miserable, is comforting really opened my eyes on how they could connect over that notion. Him with Merle, her with her husband. Hehe, it was like I had a total mind blown moment.
So yeah. Eek! Can't believe I finally got caught up! I feel like I really had to work to get here but it was oh so worth and I will without doubt be waiting on pins and needles for every new update after this. Can't wait to see where you take things and how you throw your own special spin on things :)
Dawnie-7 chapter 26 . 6/18
*moans into hands*
I just, I wanna cry. Oh fuck it, I can't even lie, I AM crying. The whole thing was achingly beautiful and I feel like my own soul has splintered. It's like jagged little pieces pricking into my heart. It's a physical ache that I can't shake off. Arrggg! That sucked so hard! And, despite how much I hate myself for saying it and giving credit and thanks to the pain I'm feeling, it also hurt SOOO good! You're a magician with words, I swear.
The parts where he's able to decipher the fear and grief he feels for her, and where she's able to clarify within herself that it wasn't resentment or anger towards Daryl's ties to Merle or the expected anger and resentment from him, but the possibility that he might choose another path leading away from their quiet...Girl! Kill. Me. Dead.
Add on their goodbye with all the silent pleading and silent permission...ohhhhhh, I so can't even go there with you. I so can't even with that one. It was all so poetic and tragic and like, Shakespearean in a way that I really wish I could describe to you better because you deserve better, but that's all I got.
Dawnie-7 chapter 25 . 6/18
Oh yeah. I've been guilty of holding things in. And the damn usually breaks when I end up either extremely frustrated or angry. Not just angry, but like severely pissed. Living in a world like they are, tucking everything away so you don't have to deal with it or think about it, yet you're always thinking about it. Simply accepting the things you've done and have to do... But there's just no way to hold all that in forever without dealing with it. Keeping it locked away will drive you mad or push you to the point where you eventually disconnect from your humanity all together. I can't even tell you how my heart swelled at Daryl appearing just in time to tether her down to earth and bringing her back to the here and now. How enchanting would that be? To have someone who just sees you and understands you without even having to say anything? Uhhhggg! I'm starting to feel like my emotions are going all haywired the more I think it over as I write out the review.
Don't Fear The Reaper? HA! That's so wrong :)
Dawnie-7 chapter 24 . 6/18
I'm not even sure that volatile is the right word. He down right scared the bejesus out of me in this chapter. His cold calculation and lazy joy over his violent nature is just downright creepy. Like, almost Negan creepy, except Merle is way more wild and I think that's the biggest thing about him that distubes you, he's so goddamn unpredictable.
Between this chapter and the last there's such a powerful realization and growth within Cal about her feelings about Merle and about Merle in regards to the group. Allowing herself to admit that she cares about the group, CARES about Daryl, and doesn't want them to get caught in the eye of the storm that is Merle, but also the resentment that he is tied to the group, TIED to Daryl. It's all so much to think about and it makes my head hurt.
Once again, I'm loving T-Dog so much here. The fact that he went after her to begin with and stuck by her side through it all, committed himself to her to the very end. Strong stuff. I'm gonna die if they can't get back to Hershel in time, or if it's too late for him to do anything.
Dawnie-7 chapter 23 . 6/18
Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Ohhhhhhhhhhh! Ohhhhhhhhhhh!
Okay, I know I've been going on and on for the last two days about how excited I was about what would happen when the inevitable of learning about Merle came up, but seriously, the second his name came out of Rick's mouth I felt like my whole body froze up. Literally felt chills going up my spine and thinking about her telling Daryl about it, or telling anyone how she knew him made me want to cower under my bed. And then to have him show up at the end!
HOLY SHIT!
I so did not see that coming. Even with the little twists you've given us and the changes you've made from the show plotline, I still thought we wouldn't be seeing him until Woodbury. It definitely feels like seeing a ghost in a way. A ghost that has become a very angry and vengeful spirit. Man, shit just got real!
Side note, loving the bond that has formed between Cal and T-Dog. It's fitting and, all in all, it's just nice.
Dawnie-7 chapter 22 . 6/18
Oh my my my. I don't know weather to start at the beginning of the end. I feel all tinglely with excitement and I don't quite know what to do with myself. *deep breath* Okay, I'll start at the beginning. Them waking up to each other was like watching two animals meeting for the first time. Tense, unease, cautious. It's like they're sniffing each other, trying to decipher if it's safe to welcome the new ally. Felt like you were waiting for something to happen but you're not sure what or when. And then the guards came down and you could breathe again.
Now the end. Oh my my my! The trust alone that has been built that would not only allow her to ask but him to agree, my god! I all but melted into a puddle of mush. The fluff was real. I'm also getting a kick out of the fact that everyone around them seem to be well ahead of them as far as understanding the true nature of their 'friend'. I feel like they're secretly taking bets as to when they'll become a official couple :)
I honestly thought a major cat fight was going to script between Cal and Lori. Not that it won't in the future, but as of right now, Cal for sure has more restraint than I could have had. I can understand being scared for your kid of course, don't get me wrong, but c'mon. Have the decency to ask what happened before making assumptions and accusations. It was nice seeing some one on one time with Cal and Carl though. I like the way she doesn't treat him like a kid, but as a survivor who has proven they can adjust to this new world so far.
Dawnie-7 chapter 21 . 6/18
I know I can be incredibly dense at times, but Dale is confusing me here. From what I'm understanding, it sounds like he was telling Daryl to be careful because he cared more about Cal than she did about him, or in a different way at least. But then he makes the comment of not making the same mistake he did, which to me sounded like he was warning Daryl not to push or close Cal out because you never know when you'll might lose someone in this new world and you don't want the regret of missing out on things. So to me it seemed like he was contradicting himself some, but I don't know if he was or if I read into it all wrongly or if I'm just missing something altogether.
And then what can you really say about him leading her to their fort at the end of the night? Nothing I can think of, that's for damn sure. But I like it :)
Lheto chapter 27 . 6/18
Wow, this fanfic is awesome. I love your style and I think the relationship is very realistic. Well done! Can't wait for you to update.
Dawnie-7 chapter 20 . 6/18
Firstly, before I forget to mention it again, I want to how down and sing my praise and appreciation that you didn't kill Dale off...yet, anyways. I loved him and thought he had so much more to give to the story before his death, so it's nice to see him get that in this.
It's just amazing how you can feel the tension just heating up and rolling off the page between Rick and Lori without even having to have an actual scene or interaction written out in the chapter. It's all just told through the observations of the chapter. Have I mentioned yet how I don't like her?
So Daryl and Cal. No you didn't. No you did not have them make a fort together and cuddled up inside together! I...I just...the feels I am experiencing right now is overriding any coherent thought I could actually give about the scene itself. Like, I can't even right now.
And it just simply leaves me in awe every time they talk without talking. They convey so much to each other without even saying a single word. And the silent staring, oh man! That was intense. It was like I was intruding on this intimate moment that I wasn't meant to see.
highwayblues1 chapter 27 . 6/18
Awesome. Well written, the OC has so much depth. Can't wait to read more.
Dawnie-7 chapter 19 . 6/18
Ha! Thank you for the mental image of Daryl trying, and failing, to not look and feel so uncomfortable laying besides her, or near her at all. Poor thing :)
But the fact that you can see the effort he's putting into, not just making sure her arm is ok but that she, in general is ok is sooo... I'm not sure. I wanna say touching, but it's so much more than that. Especially from him and especially from him at this still somewhat early on stage of his development where things like concern for other group members and the need to comfort others is still such a foreign concept for him. The minor hand holding too! I almost can't even go there! It was just so, innocent. And yet so deep at the same time. It actually reminded me of a moment in a novel I read, it was set in like early 1900s and this guy who was posing in a group of train robbers but was really a Texas ranger trying to take them down ends up helping this girl who got caught in the mix get away from them so she wouldn't get hurt and tries to get her home safely. Well naturally they start falling for each other but at one point he grabs her hand and just kind of traces the veins on the inside of her wrist and she asks him 'what are you doing?' and he's like 'nothing. just feeling you is all.' Lol, sorry, I'm rambling again. That was a very long, drawn out way of saying I really liked that moment. Plus their moments of hesitation and, dare I say, shyness with each other is adorable and sweet.
That dream she had was a bizzarre one that has me feeling funny. I'm a firm believer in the whole dreams are your inner self conscious trying to get your attention and tell you something, but I'm not sure what Merle morphing into Daryl would represent to her. Fear of getting comfortable with a companion again? Even though she already seems more than comfortable with Daryl, for a while now too, there's always the doubt and fear of the unknown in the back of your head I suppose.
Side note, it's bugging the hell out of me that I said Scarlett Johansson as a Cal cast last chapter because, once more for the record, I DO NOT like the girl. But I read through the reviews of that chapter and I can definitely agree with the person who said Jennifer Lawrence. Or maybe Terminator Genisys style Emilia Clarke.
Dawnie-7 chapter 18 . 6/18
Liking the immediate switch you see in Rick in this chapter. The moment he realizes he really has no choice but to take on the leader role and all the responsibility that comes with it, good and, mostly, bad. This is always the point in the show where I just feel for the guy. All these people are looking to him, expecting answers and plans and the very second they don't like something they hear it's all but mutiny. Very unfair. You can really feel the tension and the heaviness of it all in the car when him and Lori have their moment. The whole scenario makes me dislike her just as much here as I did on the show. But I had to laugh when T-Dog asked to switch cars, lol. It's like the classic scene of a family car trip with the kids acting up in the back and the mother and father bickering and the father threatening to turn the car around. Definitely a much need stress break.
But his newfound gruffness caught me off guard a little when he got a little stoic with Cal about her arm. Sure it's understandable, the many possibilities of what could happen if she were infected in any way is frightening, but still. After everything I would think he'd have enough trust, or at the very least respect to know she wouldn't let it affect the others in such a way. The whole exchange just kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. But, the way Daryl stepped in front of her like that...just saying :)
On side notes, I'm so glad I was a late (very late!) bloomer when it came to becoming a WD fan and that I found this now, because if I had been reading it from when you started and then had to suffer the hiatus, oh Lord. I don't know what I would have done with myself! And as for Cal castings, eek! I've always been terrible at doing that because, selfishly, I always imagine myself as the character, hehe. But to actually choose an actress, hmm. It's really weird because I don't like her AT ALL, but I almost want to say Scarlett Johansson, as a brunette...weird.