Reviews for The Parts of the Sum
Zarohk Korobase chapter 53 . 11/14/2013
Wow. Intense and interesting story. I can't help but be glad that it wasn't "the girl who married a hawk" otherwise Rachel might have had a breakdown and/or panic attack at it being too spot-on. As it is, nice bit of fantastic realism.
Sweetbriar chapter 64 . 9/15/2013
(Sorry it's taken me SO long to review! I've been letting the e-mail sit in my in-box as a reminder to dash over here when I had a chance to break between finishing one reading and doing another homework assignment.)

I love the start of this - Ax's little moments of introspection on what makes Andalites different from humans is always very intriguing to read. I also like that you took this to the angle of a classic Male Bonding Moment. That's because it crosses the species barrier and, as Ax admits, although he does not logically approve, there is something charming about that "need for speed" Marco tries to introduce him to. I also very much like Marco being Ax's tour guide to the middle-class-American world of entertainment: Marco has an excuse to indulge and not think about all the hard things by sharing them with Ax, and Ax is able to form friendships and collect more data for his (not-exactly-signed-up-for) longitudinal study of human life.
kimjledford chapter 64 . 9/8/2013
Wait, does he understand the connection between speed and adrenaline rush or not? That was confusing, but the situation, characters, language, and tone are all spot on. I like the ones where there's at least one reference to morphing... after all, it's Animorphs :). The human morphing description was good.
Guest chapter 64 . 9/6/2013
wheeeeeeee aw ax baby, he is so cute.

Sure you're not a ghost writer?
DarthPhoenixFire chapter 64 . 9/6/2013
lol Thought at first that Ax wouldn't share Elfangor's love of cars but looks like in his own way he does. Just doesn't have as good a first impression of them as his brother did lol I can only imagine what would've happened the first time Ax tried to drive.
Sweetbriar chapter 63 . 8/2/2013
This is an interesting idea. While I think Tobias' thoughts are perfectly fitting for his character, I'm less sure about his use of Rachel's laptop to write, save, then delete these kinds of thoughts. I can see him doing it, but I can't see him actually saving the document. I think he'd be more careful than that. Still, I think it is fitting for Rachel to be the one to know his thoughts, however it is she gained access to them. And despite wondering about the method, I like the structure of this - from her waking and hearing him type it to waking again, alone, and seeing the evidence of what she heard before. From one sense to the other.
JohnBerymanLives chapter 63 . 7/30/2013
I freaking love these. I hope you have enough in you to get to 100! Keep it up!
falloutboy4ever chapter 62 . 7/30/2013
Very interesting stuff...great expansion from the main story, and great expansion of The Sharing. I think I found it so interesting because I always thought The Sharing came across as too transparent and not menacing enough. The thought of them operating secretively within the military and skillfully using former soldiers is a better image for me than them hosting silly block parties and tricking teenagers. Good job painting a picture of a man insane from grief in such small space. Very good work!
jackbeforejesus chapter 63 . 7/29/2013
I thought there were a couple of sentences that felt too expository...I'm not sure it needed to be spelled out about Rachel and Tobias hanging out, the falling asleep...but I really liked how Rachel says she used to be a big supporter of Tobias doing human things. She all but abandoned trying to make him human again in later books, and I appreciate how here she seems to view Tobias doing human things like typing as a past tense experience, not a present tense one. Very in keeping with cannon. Tobias's mini-journal-entry was in character and a sweet reminder of his instant connection with Elfangor.
kimjledford chapter 63 . 7/29/2013
But why would he save the document in the first place? I don't completely understand the context of the setup, but the sentiment is nice. Probably a good indication of possible computer functions in the 90's, lol. The loner aspect of Tobias is often overstated, I think, but it's nice to see another spin on it!
Sweetbriar chapter 62 . 7/28/2013
This was an interesting take on an infestation scheme, and I think it fits perfectly with human psychology and the Yeerks' techniques. I also think that the history lines up - as far as I'm aware, that is - and I appreciated that element of placement in time that you brought into this ficlet by writing about a solider in this environment. I also think that the structure of it - as a confession, after the war - was an interesting set-up tactic to tell this character's story. Love the inclusion of how far-reaching The Sharing potentially could have been, too. I think it makes perfect sense: by targetting veterans, they would have more hosts with fighting experience. Though those injured physically would clearly be rejected, I think it would also make sense for them to target returning soldiers with difficulty re-adjusting, mental problems due to warfare, or those who were injured but healed because the injuries weren't too severe. I love that you brought up those thoughts. And also, the ending? Totally chilling. And heartbreaking, even though I also think it's completely in character for this poor man.
mistrali chapter 58 . 7/27/2013
Heh. This was a good one. I liked your description of her hunt through the sales racks; my mum does exactly that, though not to that extent.
mistrali chapter 62 . 7/27/2013
Most of this was chillingly realistic. I mean... that was exactly how it would have in fact happened. A hook, something innocuous and casual that the soldiers would think nothing of or choose to ignore. I know nothing about the army, but your soldier's voice and other details sounded fine to me, and you got the emotion right, which is the main thing.

I do feel that the ending eclipses the rest of it a bit, though. We have this startlingly real, dreadfully subtle scenario, and then... I don't know, then it lost a little of its impact for me when he actually died. It was the "Goodbye", I think, that seemed superfluous. But anyway, that's not such a huge thing, more of a personal nitpicky sort of opinion. The rest of it was good.
kimjledford chapter 62 . 7/26/2013
Good real-world feel to this one. I enjoy any of these fics which explore the sort of peripheral settings of the Animorphs world. Keeps me connected to the overall story. I also have no idea on its realism, but it was emotional. Not sure if happy you got me to feel emotions or sad because it was sad. Haha.
selfish sentiments chapter 62 . 7/24/2013
definitely did /not/ see that coming. kudos. i also know little about the armed forces, and i believe it, so good job with that.

and i always appreciate the new chapters. .