Reviews for The Curious Case of Avatar Aang
Guest chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Have you considered writing non-fanfiction? I think you'd fair well in the literary world, especially if you go for a fantasy chick-lit.

Anyway, on to the story. The setup is nice and holds promise, that being said I have a few concerns regarding it. First being - Why doesn't Aang kill himself? If he can't die due to age, why not just kill himself? Or is he invulnerable as well? Second - I can understand Aang's punishment, but why punish the others as well? Why do Sokka and Katara have to lose their family, even worse than before? Why does Zuko need to be mutilated again? Why does Azula have to be brought under Ozai's wing?

Before starting to write this review I was a little worried that it this would be just a reenactment of A:TLA, but now that I think about it, it's obviously not going to be the case. Tara and Teo didn't give much impression beyond being Sokka and Katara reborn, however Azula and Zuko seemed to have learned something from their past lives as the former loves her brother and the latter fought back instead of crying and begging. So it's obvious not going to be A:TLA 2.0, but still...

Next - Lightning Ridge, considering they can call upon the Yu Yan Archers I assume they're Fire Nation. Why can't Aang interfere with Chin deforming young Kuzon? I think Zuko would put so much child protection law in the Fire Nation, that doing something like what Chin did would mean that Aang is legally obliged to interfere and stop him.

How is Lightning Ridge doing this(the dispute) anyway? Shouldn't the Firelord step in when one of his/her subordinates do crazy stuff like that? Is the Chin going behind the Firelord's back? Why haven't the people of Mountain contacted the ruler of the Fire Nation yet asking for explanation, instead of working with a governor, excuse me, a governor's substitute?

Or is Lightning Ridge independent? If so, how can they call upon the Yu Yan Archers? Do they own the archers? Was there a schism during/shortly-after Zuko's reign? Why is their leader called Governor?

On to your notes!

I don't think you missed the point of the Equalists (or I'm in denial in order to make it better than it actually was). We never see non-benders being oppressed, there are two cases where you may point at it. The first is when the triads harassed that shopowner, however that was criminal activity, not oppression. The second was when Tarrlok decided to contain non-benders, but once again, that didn't happen well into the revolution.

We never see benders oppressing non-benders, that simply doesn't happen. if you look closely at the Equalists base you can see the real reason. Most equalists are people of the lower class and instead of doing something to improve their situation they blame society and try to take their anger on benders. Amon (who most likely believed himself) used those people to achieve his ends.

This is why when Amon died the revolution fell apart - it was a power-grab, it had little to do with non-material ideals.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Honestly, I would have preferred romantic Taang. Imagine the possibilities! I suppose it can still happen eventually since Aang doesn't age...but that would be way down the line :(
ChocoResha chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Wow, this is great! :D I absolutely love it. 3 Fantastic job!
roflZuko chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
The series ending for Korra was rushed, mostly because the creators hadn't been given the go-ahead for another book yet. A second (and third and fourth) are planned, though, and I'm hopeful that we'll get to see the aftermath of the Equalists and everything that started their struggle.

Also. You probably noticed Katara is still in there. :P But did you know the creators have confirmed Zuko is still alive too? He's retired (with his daughter on the throne now), but he's apparently traveling the world as an ambassador for peace. Kinda makes sense, given that Sozin's line seem to live really long lives. Azula may be hanging around somewhere too, but no word on that.

This story is intriguing. I love the premise. The one thing I'm not so fond of is how Katara and Sokka, and Azula and Zuko landed in the exact families they had before. It would've been nice to see how they would change and stay the same with different backgrounds.

Looking forward to seeing if there's hope for this Azula. I'm not normally a fan of hers, but she was really brave here. Here's hoping her father doesn't mess her up as badly as her last one did.

Good luck with this story. And thanks for seeing your stories through to the end. :3
CeruleanDreamCat chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Amazing idea, and amazingly carried out.
recherrie chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Gosh this is wonderful! The pacing is surprisingly well done. I've seen a couple of other strokes for other fandoms like this and really only one had good pacing like this so well done! And no grammar or spelling errors really leaped out at me, although if their were any I wouldn't be the one to find them. So really just, well done! Keep it up!
DonnadelLago chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
When I received the notification that this story was up I thought: "hmm, nice idea (heart-breaking, but full of potential), but if it's not written by the right writer it could become a train-rack".. and then I saw it was you.

Dear Emletish, you broke my heart and mended it again. I was left with a bitter sweet feeling (I could have lived without Zuko being scared physically again. I guess you know where you're going with this) and I'm curious to see this story unfold.

Now I gotta find a way to get rid of this lump in my throat. This remind me of what I felt while watching LOK - all the bending and the "New Avatar Team!" were there, but it's just not the same... Booo! The heart-ache of an Avatard!
AnnaAza chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
Oh, wow. The Gaang's lives really...why it it necessary for the spirits to punish Teo and Tara/Sokka and Katara for killing their mother? Or having Kuzon/Zuko getting kicked around and beaten by his dad? Did the spirits feel especially vengeful after Aang played his aptly named "get out of jail free" card? Man, it's got to be hard watching everyone you love die—oh my! What about Appa and Momo? His best friends? What happened to them?

Love this story so far. The new warring intrigues me. (Poor Aang can't catch a break, though, huh?)
Guest chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
What a wonderful idea! This was positively heartwrenching, in a great way. Can't wait to see what happens next and how Tara, Teo, Kuzon, and Satsu are similar and different from the original gaang. I also hope that Elza goes on a different path than Azula's!
Lin Shadow chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
Very interesting plot line-can't wait to see more :)
The Crushinator chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
Ooooh yes, yes yes. What a good, original idea. I'm really looking forward to more old!Toph and seeing everyone's relationships unfold. I'm hoping for a better fate for Elza this time around.
Ferret.krazy.101 chapter 1 . 11/27/2012
how old is appa? does he age too?
72 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5