Reviews for Shipwrecked
The Pianist's Touch chapter 1 . 5/31/2013
I have a deep love affair with Chopin-my piano teacher must be sick of me bringing Chopin pieces to play, but Chopin's music had such a depth of emotion and feeling that many of my favorite pieces, through no conscious thought of my own, ended up being Chopin's. It's interesting that you would tie Chopin and Sherlock together in this fic-Chopin, such an emotional man, and Sherlock, who is so stoic, normally. It's an interesting contrast and makes for a very nice oneshot.
sevenpercent chapter 1 . 4/16/2013
short, sharp, characterful writing this. And yes- without his moral compass, the switchblade. Your Sherlock and mine are both adrift post Reichenbach.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Bloody brilliant for 4 am. And I love Chopin as well as Sherlock. Well done.
Shrike176 chapter 1 . 12/14/2012
You have a real knack for writing Sherlock.

Always good to read one of your stories.
guest chapter 1 . 12/6/2012
That was harsh; gentle; tragic; beautiful.
Kaelir of Lorien chapter 1 . 11/29/2012
Dear me, but this is a gorgeous piece. I took your advice and listened to Chopin's Nocturne No. 21 in C-minor while reading, and oh, what a perfect undercurrent it was, especially when reading where the piano is described so vividly. It fit the quiet, elusive mystery and darkness of the city shown here so well.

I must hazard a guess and say that you are yourself a musician; and if not, you're perhaps close to someone who is, because I can feel that musicality spilling through in your descriptions of both the piano and Sherlock's hands on the violin. "Sherlock could imagine his fingers sliding across the neck, could feel the pressure of fingertips on strings, the quick tremor of vibrato from his wrist." This is a beautiful line, melancholy without breaking character in the slightest.

And yes, I love what you've done with the characterisation here. Sherlock is hard one to get, and one that I myself don't believe I could ever write satisfactorily, but the Sherlock you depict is the one I imagine in my own mind. He can and will be caught up in the music, whether with his permission or without it, and the fact that he can recognise this within himself, accept it and berate himself for it at the same time, is very true to him indeed.

The line that really got me, though, was this: "How had he ever thought this possible?"

That simple question made something inside me cringe and tighten, because we never really want to see Sherlock question himself like that. Always he's strong, decisive, quick to choice and to action, and that kind of pure /doubt/, far too close to despair, is very painful to witness in him. Not unlikely, given the situation, but not easy, either, not by a long shot.

And then the last line of the piece was so brutal that I pitied Sherlock even more. Why? Because I cannot and probably never will believe that he is a killer. He has seen death, followed it, mocked it, even revelled in it, but to have it executed by his own hand is something I always imagine him as very unfamiliar with. It's not that I think he couldn't do it, but I think it would affect him more than he'd ever be willing to admit. That line, then, that line is very, very powerful as an ending. A return to the cold reality of his position, and in some ways a further descent into darkness.

Thank you for sharing this piece; fantastic read.
wynnleaf chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
"He must remember to be more careful around music." Such a true observation. And having played far more Chopin than any other composer's work, I can easily imagine the yearning that it could draw out of Sherlock. The last sentence is so cold and at odds with the rest of the piece, it really works well to illustrate how incredibly devastating this time is for Sherlock.
thedragonaunt chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Oh my goodness! If this is just one of your 'off the cuff' stories...there really is no hope for the likes of me! This was so atmospheric, so straight into character and plot, so 'wham, bam, thank you, ma'am!' I LOVED it
On a more prosaic level, what on earth are you doing awake at at 4 am? Zzzzzzzzzz...
Eldar-Melda chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
SUperbe!

Tu sais toujours comment trasnmettre les émotions des personnages au lecteur, c'est vraiment bien. En plus, tu nous transportes dans un autre monde et j'aime toujours autant ça. C'est comme lorsque je lis et relis chacune de tes fics, je suis ailleurs.

En plus, tu sais bien faire ressentir la solitude de Sherlock et son sentiment d'isolement. Il est seul et il n'aime pas beaucoup ça: son esprit ne le supporte tout simplement pas. Il a besoin de contacts avec des gens même s'il ne l'admettra jamais et c'est vraiment paradoxal.

Et pour finir: Sherlock va à l'opéra comme dans le livre, c'est bon ça aussi. Dans la série, on ne le voit jamais aller à l'opéra. Peut-être que les scénaristes ne veulent pas montrer cet aspect-là de la personnalité de Sherlock dans leur série. C'est possible qu'au XXIè siècle, on ne veuille plus voir d'opéra et pourtant on est aussi transporté dans un autre monde.

A plus. :)
Francesca Wayland chapter 1 . 11/28/2012
Well this story was a very, very pleasant surprise! And it was beautiful. You evokes Krakow perfectly, and of course Sherlock is, as always, pitch perfect (ha, no pun intended, considering the story's theme). I also think you captured his emotional state very well, that isolation and moment's desire to float above it all. And for Sherlock of course that would be through music. But then the harsh contrast to that moment that comes after the applause really drives home his situation ('shipwrecked' - what a fantastic metaphor and title!), and that last line becomes all the more positively chilling. And I loved it.

It's so great to see some of your amazon writing again!